4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little camera, not quite perfect
Published 19 months ago by dmcnabb

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality - Product and Support
I have one of these - however the FIRST TIME I USED IT - the catch for the SD slot broke.

Below is the response from Kodak...

We are sorry to inform you that the battery door cannot be replaced. If the camera part is broken will not be taken under warranty.

Published on 27 Oct 2012 by tenbob

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little camera, not quite perfect, 25 May 2013
dmcnabb - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kodak Playfull Waterproof Video Camera - Black (720p HD, 2x Digital Zoom) 2.0 inch LCD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I purchased this as a little camera to take on holidays. We previously had an older handheld tape camcorder that just never got used because putting the tapes on the computer was a pain. I wanted to buy something similar to this a few years ago, but as they just came out they were expensive and I couldn't justify it. This is reasonably priced, there are more expensive versions out there, Kodak has another Playfull that is a bit longer than this and about double the price. The other playful isnt waterproof and also has zoom and editing capabilities on the camera. We chose this ultimately because it is waterproof, and when taking kids on holidays, it just adds a bit more fun to be able to film under water. I have a couple of gripes about it. I bought one from Amazon as refurbished. It came and did not work at all, I cant speak for all of those refurbished, but the previous one I had would turn on for a second, I couldn't view playback and it didn't turn onto my computer. Ultimately I had to return it. This one I got is great. It takes standard SD cards (putting it in and taking it out is a bit fiddly as for one the hinge is really funny. Don't force the hinge, you'll break it. I've found if I move the slide that opens the hinge when its open it then slips and opens fully.) I have quite small hands but I have to use the cap of a pen to push it down. The one I ordered came with a Kodak 4GB card, but I used various other SD cards and there were no issues. It is about the size of a mobile phone prior to smart phones and the buttons and screen is quite small. Playback on videos on the camera isn't great. It sounds more static than you can hear the voices, but when you put it on a computer, this doesn't appear to transfer. I would assume it is the internal speaker. My other complaint is that the USB cable is tiny. There is no cord to pull it out further, so when you plug it into a computer it is virtually right up to the side of your computer. It is also a bit fiddly to get in and out. Those are the negatives for me, and they're all fairly minor, you just have to be careful not to break it! The good bits are a plenty. It is small, but most people are carrying around mobile phones of a similar size. The photos and videos are not perfect, but very similar to the quality from my iphone. It is waterproof, helps bring back any sort of memory from holiday, even poolside or seaside quick bits. (BUT DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS FOR WATER!) It takes SD cards, years ago we were all fiddling around with tapes. It is straight to the point for basic use, you don't have to be a tech genius to use it. Changes from camera to video with push of a button on the main body (no going into settings to change the format) The case is basic, but sleek. Transferring photos is straight forward. Plug it into your computer (as long as the software is compatible with your computer, and it appears to be compatible with pretty much everything) and the software automatically downloads. For me the negatives are so few and far between that its only slightly annoying, but the SD slot isn't something you need to open really often. (unless you want to replace the SD card or if when you're transferring to a computer you are putting the SD card into a card reader). The rest of it is bearable and makes it very worth the price. Don't expect perfection, the technology is a couple of years old now, but overall its about the same as a good mobile phones camera. Great camera, I would recommend to anyone looking for a small, tape free, inexpensive, versatile camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kodak Playfull, 6 Nov 2012
I bought the Kodak Playfull for my daughter to use on a camping and surfing trip to Wales. Taking video with the Kodak Playfull Waterproof camera proved very successful. The camera is small and easy to use but the still photographs are not very good. It is more of a "toy' than a professional camera and should be treated as a bit of fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great litle camera for capturing fun in the water, 8 Dec 2013
We bought this for a family holiday at Centre Parcs and it did a great job of capturing the fun in the water. My 10-year-old granddaughter immediately commandeered it and spent the entire weekend taking pictures of, and filming, the family in the swimming pool, going down the rapids and down the chutes.

She got some really good shots of us all and some great videos too. The camera looks really good and attracted a few comments of "You're going to get your phone wet using it like that" from others. Image quality is surprisingly good and sound on video is excellent, although you can't hear it when you play back on the camera itself. We took masses of stuff without filling up the storage capacity.

I understand why other reviewers have said the access door to the USB connector is difficult to use, but not how anyone could break it. It's a two-step action of sliding then lifting and once you get the hang of it, it is completely straightforward. I was actually impressed by the quality of the whole kit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality - Product and Support, 27 Oct 2012

Below is the response from Kodak...

It will be considered out of warranty and the replacement camera will cost you £37.92.

So even though this is cheap - if you have an experience like myself - you are throwing money down the drain - I cant comment on the quality of the product - as I cant use it....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget!, 8 Aug 2013
THis is my second (the first mysteriously stopped working) For casual videoing this does all you could want of it and so small and discreet fits into the top pocket. My only quibble is its claim of waterproof...though I used it in the water I think this is a tall order and contributing to the my original one giving up there ghost.

4.0 out of 5 stars grat for the price- but limited in what it can do, 19 May 2013
Its great value for money- i love filming underwater. but it has very restricted use because of the lack of zoom and bad quality pictures.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work, 26 Dec 2013
At first thought what a nice neat camera. Once opened discovered what everyone in previous reviews meant by the USB charging cable, could barely get the plug out and then it was very precarious slotting into USB on Desktop. So flimsy and short can predict that it will not be long before some damage inside the camera.

After several hours of charging, unable to turn camera on. So tried charging via USB port on PS3 for a few hours - again the same thing happened. I know that the cable was connected correctly as the symbol came on screen whilst supposedly charging. Also I was able to turn the camera on whilst it was connected to both USB ports, but as soon as it was disconnected unable to switch camera.

Very disappointing as this was a gift from Santa to my eldest daughter and she was desperate to use her camera all day. Luckily I have been able to return this to Amazon for a full refund, and I have now purchased an alternative camera which my daughter has been able to use today.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 year old girl, 7 Jan 2013
We bought this for our 10 year old for Xmas and she loved it.good quality video and pics for the price and very simple to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerfull, 20 Dec 2013
I took it on my last marathon run and the battery and memory lasted enough to film the whole thing, plus some after run scenes. Took it into the pool and plenty of rain with no problems whatsoever. Can't be beaten at this price even if it is only half HD.

Vendor was quick and it arrived in a blister pack with 4gb memory. all you need in one box

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 19 Dec 2013
Camera/video camera quality is as good as a basic phone, on holiday we won't worry about having a phone stolen at great expence and if it goes in the pool by accident it should be OK as its waterproof. Worth buying just to save the agro of losing/breaking a phone on holiday.