5.0 out of 5 stars How to please your wife!
Well, I don't make a habit of this, but the purchase of this coat is, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best purchases I have made.

Published on 2 Feb 2012 by Bartsman

3.0 out of 5 stars nice and warm but slim fit
Published on 1 Dec 2011 by gabriella

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars How to please your wife!, 2 Feb 2012

My wife and I have been looking for a long quilted coat for over a month. We have, naturally, looked at the North Face Arctic Parka as one of the best units on the market. As the fellas version was something I had to purchase before deploying to the Antarctic, I know how good North Face is. I did not think anything could better such 'Arctic kit' in extremely cold environments.

How wrong I was!

I do alot of navigation work on Dartmoor... you know, where the rain goes sideways and the snow falls first! I have been a fan of Marmot as a very high quality manufacturer of high grade Gore-tex products - they have never let me down.

Once again this long coat lives up to the high build quality typical of Marmot.

So what's so good about it? ....and should you buy this over the North Face comparible unit?

....well from this quarter it's Marmot 3 : North Face 0

1. The Marmot has a 650g fill over the North Face competition having just 550g. If you do not understand the differenece, all I can say is this is the differnce between being comfortable and uncomfortable when working in winter in South Georgia. So if you're in the Marmot you can stand still and enjoy your hot chocolate (with marshmallows) as the snow falls.... while your alter ego has to do 'star-jumps' in the North Face kit!

2. If you've ever had that hot chocolate in the snow on the Champs Elysees you'll know that classic French chic.... This is something you can have with the Marmot as it has shape and a beautiful faux fir lined hood - very stylish! On the other hand, you can don the North Face kit and look like you jumped out of bed and dragged the duvet with you - great if you want to keep your teddy bear in your pocket! But, to be honest, North Face is a bit 'up-and-down'!

3. But here's the best news! As certain groups herd towards the North Face (because they don't do their own research) the price of the inferior item stays up. So the savvy amongst us feel great when we snap up a bargain for a top specified, stylish high quality product which looks great, keeps you toastie and can be bought for half the price of the competition!

This only rarely happens.... but I believe in sharing the wealth.... so if you read this then buy the North Face.... don't say you were 'seen-off'.... you have been duely informed(!).....have a look at this Marmot kit and then tell me I'm wrong.... it's outstanding!

(Just remember the other reviews, if you go a size up from what you usually pick...you'll be happy you did).

....So for all that.... my wife has just cooked a wonderful meal, we sit here with a lovely cuppa and she's still smiling about her new coat.....warm here on Dartmoor as it's -10 degrees outside!!

....sometimes we men get it right.....only sometimes.....but this is one of those times!!

HAPPY DAYS!

3.0 out of 5 stars nice and warm but slim fit, 1 Dec 2011
I received to-day the Marmot Montreaux. Delivery super-fast and perfect. The coat is very well made, well finished. Good materials and nice warm. The only negative note. The measures provided. Contrary to measurements given in the Amazon's chart size, this coat dress small. I wear normally a UK size 18-20. Thus, according to Amazon, one XL was fine. To be safe I bought an XXL. Thankfully! The sleeves and length are fine (I am 165 cms and coat to the knee). The chest measures 114 cms, 118 cms waist, hips 118 cms. With a pair of pants and a medium-weight cardigan, the coat is very tight.

4.0 out of 5 stars small fit, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Marmot Montreaux Women's Insulated Down Jacket (Sports Apparel)
I agree with the above review. The coat is a small fit, I'm a size 12 and a medium is just OK.it's a tailored fit, I don't think there is suppose to be much more space between the coat and you...it might not keep you snug and warm. I could still wear a jumper underneath. A large size might look a little baggy.To be honest this coat is so warm, you don't need a jumper or fleece underneath.The coat is very well made...comfy and cozy! the brown is a nice dark brown colour which goes well with the faux fur around the hood! would definitely recommend this coat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic coat but don't order up a size if you're slim, 22 May 2012
Jennifer Gibbons (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely coat, I'm really impressed, but I just wanted to warn people not to order up a size if they're slim on top. I read all the reviews saying it's tight on top that it's best to go up a size, so I got a large and it is huge on me. Sleeves too long, coat reaches past my knees, and the top is very baggy. I'm 168cm tall (5 foot 6 inches), wear a 10-12 top and a 12-14 bottom, if that helps. Should have got a medium...

4.0 out of 5 stars Marmot Montreaux Coat, 14 Feb 2012
I got this jacket just before Christmas and I love it! Very warm and cosy and a great length. The only negative thing I have to say is the feathers come through the fleece on the inside and stick to my clothes which can be a pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Size Choice, 18 Jan 2013
I am normally a 10uk bottom and 12uk top /slightly busty!(5ft 3") and so got the medium size originally, even taking into account other people's comments about which size to select. It did fit; but was perhaps slightly tight around the back and under the arms,so I would not be able to wear a thicker jumper if I wanted to. So exchanged for the larger size (large) and it is perfect. Really pleased with this purchase especially as it has arrived in time for the snow.

5.0 out of 5 stars The snuggest coat ever, 15 Oct 2012
I did quite a bit of research before buying this coat and was loathe to buy it online, but I'm absolutely delighted with it. I got a Large which is perfect for me (size 12, 5ft6. It has a gorgeous velvety fleece lining and cuffs which can't be seen in the picture but keep your wrists really snug and block any draft. It's really warm - I bought it for the rugby season as I was determined not to freeze on the side of the pitch every weekend watching my sons - and it's great. So far, I have only needed to wear a long sleeve t-shirt under. The collar comes up nice and high around your neck to keep the wind out and the hood comes down low so I have a perfect slit to look through when the weather gets really grim and I'm losing the will to live.....
Delivery was good too, Very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like going out in your duvet!!, 22 Mar 2013
E. Hawkes (UK) - See all my reviews
If you want a coat to keep you warm in a cold climate this is the one. I have started commuting to the Czech Republic on a weekly basis for work and whilst my colleagues assure me that spring is coming I am not so sure. We have had several inches of snow the last 2 weeks as well as freezing conditions (about minus 3 or 4 in the day) and a very icy wind. Other colleagues in standard wool or down winter coats are freezing in the wind I am as snug as a bug in my "duvet". Zip it up and it keeps out the wind. I originally wanted the Montreal jacket but couldn't get my size and I am so glad I have the long version as my legs stay warm too! I don't have any issues with it restricting movement when walking (and at 6ft I have quite a long stride!) It also packs down nice and small to go in the overhead lockers and then lofts back up as soon as you take it out again!
My only slight niggles are that the hood is too big so I have to hang on to it when I put it up otherwise I can't see and I am a bit concerned that it isn't waterproof, I don't think a heavy shower is going to do it any good!
Finally watch out for the sizing, I am definitely a 12 on the top and the medium (which they say is a 12) is too snug even with only a thin top underneath.
However, all in all I am chuffed to bits with it and would definitely recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic coat!, 23 Jan 2013
Miss Claire E Whitehead (Columbus, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great choice for a warm winter coat. I received mine just before this latest bout of snowy, cold wintry weather and it's been absolutely brilliant. It keeps you incredibly warm right down to the mid-thigh - obviously your legs can still get a little cold where air circulates at the bottom but I really wanted something that really kept my core, bum and upper legs warm and this coat fits the bill. It's probably not the most shapely of the coats on the market - I feel and look (most likely!) a little like I'm walking around in a down sleeping bag - but if it's function you're after, this coat is for you. It is also what you'd expect from a proper outdoors brand rather than a fashion brand.
Size-wise, I am finding that my hips are a little large these days for a 14 coat size so I ordered the X-Large and it is perfect for going over a reasonable amount of clothing (typical for wearing in winter).
I have two small quibbles with this coat (and they're only small ones!): firstly, the zip seems to be a bit fiddly and takes me a bit of effort to get it to fasten at the bottom for some reason (perhaps it's just my coat); secondly, the hood comes so far over your head that you can't see unless you hold it out of the way or wear another hat underneath to stop it doing so. This might be minimized by removing the furry bit of the hood, but it could have been helped by added a drawer cord inside the hood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 11 May 2012
My new coat came yesterday ( arrived in 3 days since order so very pleased). I am a playground supervisor at a school so I am exposed to the elements daily. I am currently wearing a down filled Barbour but this one seems alot lighter and more duvet like. Looks and feels expensive. I am 5 10 and it comes to my knees which I wanted. Beware the sizing as it is slim fitting I suppose as you don't need to wear too much under it. I am a tall size 10 and ordered a medium and it is a perfect fit, though I could only wear one or two slim layers under it ( maybe one bulky jumper). The plus side is that you don't look like the Mitchelin man in it. Very pleased with it. Bring on next winter. Hang on... it's cold enough to wear it today ( May!!!)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›