4.5 out of 5 stars3,339
Format: DVD|Change

on 21 October 2014
Great film + quality. P&P + delivery etc all good. Thank you.
on 25 May 2013
I have to admit it, I'm a geek. I love watching the extra content and finding out how stuff was done, and listening to commentaries. I have the LOTR extended versions, and have nearly worn out the appendicies, watching them over and over again, and I've come to expect that high quality from Jackson's work. So why do I feel like this BD has been put together in a bit of a hurry? Yes, we have the blogs (which, by the way, were available online long before the film came out) and a few trailers. Other than that, there's nothing. No commentary, which I found disappointing, and nothing I haven't already seen.

The quality of the actual film itself is good, though there's no evidence that the higher fps rate that Jackson was hyping actually makes any difference on the small screen - images are clear and sharp, and colours good, but no more so than any of the other recent BD's I've purchased (also got Les Mis at the same time, and picture quality is very similar).

Since I'm a Tolkien-obsessed fan, I'm glad to have this to add to my collection, but it loses a star (for me) for the lack of extra geeky stuff.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2016
Loved this film. Whole family. Get settled down with snacks!
on 18 January 2016
Loved every minute. Good storyline and scenery was fabulous.
on 13 January 2016
Awesome film. Just wish the characters were slightly taller.
on 11 March 2015
Item as described, excellent postage and service. Thank you
on 1 October 2014
Pleasantly surprised as to how good this is - very enjoyable
on 10 April 2013
I watched this movie in the cinema a few weeks after it came out, reading the book I thought that I should definitely go and watch this, I was not disappointed.
The surround sound was brilliant, and the scenery in the film was just breath taking, not to mention the characters and the whole graphics were just fantastic.

However I will not go into detail because for those who haven't watched it, I don't want to spoil it, all I will say is that you honestly should watch this. It's so great.

I enjoyed the film and I was so excited for there to be another two after this film, definitely a must see, and I recommended it to all of my friends.
Yes, I must admit from time to time I do want to watch The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. It's just an amazing film that you must watch.

I will have to give this a 5* because even though for the Blu Ray special edition is £17.50 (a bit expensive for this, although, in my opinion worth it 100%) it is an incomparable film, original and unique in many ways. You always happen to find yourself singing or humming along to the songs in the film.
on 28 January 2015
Great movie showing how the whole thing began. Just love it
on 24 January 2015
as with the first dvd was as ordered and enjoyable to watch