2,472 Reviews
 (1,705)

5.0 out of 5 stars EXTENDED EDITION: BLU-RAY STEEL-BOOK.
As usual with my reviews, I will limit my comments to the product advertised, in this case the steel-book limited edition blu-ray of the extended version of The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey. Hopefully helping you to make the decision on whether the extended cut of the film is really worth the expenditure, especially if you, like me, already have the theatrical cut. I...
Published 13 months ago by J. Blakemore

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the book
Peter Jackson, has done it again by managing to wreck another of Tolkien's story's. How can you make the book which only takes a couple of hours to read last nearly 9 hours in cinema time. The effects are brilliant, but we have seen it all before in Lord of the Rings.
Published 5 months ago by I. Pm Phillips

‹ Previous | 1148 149 150248 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars From LOTR triumph to Hobbit travesty, 3 Jan 2013
Ken Raus "Ken Raus" (Lugdunum) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (DVD + UV Copy( [2013] (DVD)
Jackson has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with this version of the Hobbit which is Hobbitty but not thee Hobbit...he has made the story into a generic fantasy film with little of the character of the book not least of all because he has seen fit or has been ordered to presumtuously add additional characters just as he left some out of the LOTR which could be forgiven given the general excellence of that trilogy...the film itself looks like an ordinary fantasy film even with the link of some of the same characters from the previous series...it's a cavalier and Hollywoody version that shows faint respect to one of the worlds greatest writers...to make three films of what is or was an accidental prequel and slim childrens book is a vulgar nonsense and smacks of illiterate kosher greed;much better to do one film brilliantly or give the project to someone else...you would buy it for the sake of completism but it is still a good film that grows on you with an excellent cg cameo by Bazza Humphries as the Goblin king.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just though it might be good to mention!, 14 April 2013
I didn't buy this via Amazon this time, but I thought it might be good to mention that the 3D version of the movie is spanned over 2 BD-50 discs and the 2D version is on just the one Blu-Ray disc. This may put some people off, but I couldn't see any mention in the description.

Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to hate it as it's obviously a cashcow for the studio, 18 Aug 2014
I wanted to hate it as it's obviously a cashcow for the studio, but I enjoyed it as a fantasy romp. The production values are insanely good when seen in HD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long, but worth it for the great story it tells, 6 Feb 2013
"The Hobbit -An Unexpected Journey" is an enjoyable movie that lives up to the high standards of director Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Some scenes are too long such as the feast near the beginning in which we meet the dwarves and later in the movie when they escape from the Goblins. However this doesn't take away too much from the high quality of the movie.

The story of a comfort loving hobbit joining the dwarf's quest to recover their long lost gold from a dragon is just that - a great story - and Jackson tells it well, with help from a rousing score, New Zealand scenery and CGI effects.

The acting is good though none of the characters has a lot of depth. Martin Freeman, in particular, is good as Bilbo Baggins, who surprises himself by agreeing to leave the quiet Shire to embark on a dangerous adventure with complete strangers. The scene where he meets Gollum is particularly memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars How the Lord of the Rings began!, 28 July 2014
The beginning of the Lord of the Rings Story. The film is a bit soporific but never the less it is good to see what was one of my favorite stories to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars the hobbit, 28 Jan 2014
since I bought this as a gift and haven't watched it then I'm sorry but I am unable to review it! didn't get any complaints though so I guess it must be OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Bilbo rules, OK!, 17 July 2014
Just bought a 3-D TV, so wanted to try it out. Couldn't have chosen a better film. Excellent, and received well in time, as always. Well done Amazon :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars LORD OF THE RINGS PREQUEL - Part 1, 1 Aug 2014
Jim Burzio (Suffolk, England, UK.) - See all my reviews
The prequel to The Lord of the Rings. Excellent cast and special effects. If you liked Lord of the Rings you should enjoy this. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 7 April 2013
I have been a fan of Tolkien since my introduction to the World of Middle Earth and the Hobbit by my English teacher many years ago, I loved the hobbit immediately and the scale of the Lord of the Rings the sheer breadth of vision, the characterisation and the vastness of the overall concept of this fantasy world remain breathtaking and fresh to me as ever. " Jackson's treatment of The Lord of the rings trilogy was first class and unequalled and to my imagination true to the world created by Tolkien. I have just viewed the Hobbit on DVD and whilst it was classic Jackson with amazing effects and a particularly nice portrayal of Gollum riddling with Bilbo in the darkness, during which you do get to see the underplayed evil and madness of the creature and its potential to influence the future storyline, but it lacks something intangible that I find very difficult to isolate. The company of dwarves is to my mind somewhat shallow, it has become more comedic and regrettably for me, owes more to Disney than to Tolkien. I did enjoy the special effects the battle of the rock giants the capture and escape of the dwarves was epic Jackson at his best. However, despite my desire to see this story laid out on film, I found this to be a real disappointment, perhaps my expectation was too high and that clouded my judgement, it's possible time and further viewing may change that opinion but with two more films yet to complete this story, it feels rather unlikely, It has however made we want to read the original book again. Great effects, probably a great film for anyone who has never read the book but only seen the other films. But if you were looking for original Tolkien this is not for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the extended edition!, 21 Aug 2014
M. J. Wright (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
Great film, even enjoyed all the 'making of' indices. The extra scenes help flesh out the story and make sense of several things. Really enjoyable,

‹ Previous | 1148 149 150248 | Next ›