on 8 June 2012
I was worried about ordering this charging pod as quite a few reviewers said the Bold's charging studs didn't quite line up or the handset kept falling out of the pod.

I've had no problems with the pod whatsoever. It's a good looking gadget with a very small footprint. It's weighty and holds the Bold securely. (There's a clever little tab that stops the Bold from falling over.) And each pod (I bought 4!) comes with its own BlackBerry charger fitted with a micro USB lead and plug. Excellent value for money.
on 20 August 2012
I have been using an old model Blackberry for about three years now and have always had a corresponding charging pod on my desk at work - and all was well. Six months ago my son gave me his 'old'9900 model (more money than sense ) so the first thing I bought was the pod. I read some mixed reviews but pressed ahead and was delighted to find that this was just as good as my previous charger. My phone sits on the desk most of the day and so overcomes the phone's main issue of short battery life. Granted, it does not slot in as deeply as previous models but just be careful, you don't need to throw the phone at it!! And if you are so ham-fisted just wait to see if the clock comes up!! To quote the great philosopher Clarksonious - How hard can it be???????
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 October 2011
I've bought a dock for every blackberry I've ever owned so it was an essential purchase for my new bold 9900.
The design is very minimalistic, not such a great thing for a dock designed for a large blackberry handset.
You will have to occasionally reseat the blackberry if its not placed correctly in the dock as it will not always charge.

Despite these niggles it will still get the job done.
on 3 April 2012
Before buying this dock I noticed that some people had problems with their Blackberry 9900 not sitting easily in it or not charging while it was in it.

I'm glad I decided to buy it, as I haven't had any of those problems at all. If you put the phone in the cradle correctly, it will sit there securely, held by a little tab at the front. Similarly, correctly seated in the dock, there are absolutely no problems at all with where it connects to charge. Every time I have put my phone into the dock, it has connected first time without any problems. Additionally the dock itself is actually quite a bit more weighty than I thought it would be.

It looks very smart sat on my desk with my phone docked in it, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone with a Blackberry 9900.
on 17 December 2011
I have had the charging dock for the BB 9700 for over a year and it worked perfectly. This dock for the BB 9900 also works well - just takes an extra second to ensure it is in the dock properly that's all. The dock is shallower than the 9700 but works fine.

A plus is that the 9900 supplied mains lead also doubles as the USB lead so you need to disconnect if from the mains power plug for use with a PC/laptop. However the 9900 charging dock comes with its own mains lead ( unlike the 9700) so the original lead supplied with the phone can be reserved purely for USB connection.

Once in the dock the analogue clock is displayed ( as in the 9700) The bottom of the dock has a non-slip surface - unlike the back of the 9900 - so the phone is probably safer in the dock.

Incidentally the charging contacts on the 9900 are on the bottom of the phone unlike the 9700 which are on the side at the bottom but it seems to make no difference - just that you can't see them in product photos unlike the 9700 where they are clearly visible.

UPDATE- had this for over 3 months and works fine - soon got into the habit of how it docks.
on 24 April 2012
Not sure why some people seem to be complaining about this. Yes, it is fairly minimalistic, and if you don't put the phone in straight the contacts will not line up and it will not charge, but come on - how difficult is that? (Answer - very easy). Extremely good quality piece of kit, highly recommended.
on 18 November 2011
This is a great case of faulty design. I mean it does work, to the point where you have to gently place the device in and check that it is indeed charging. The depth of grasp on the device is awful. It feels like each time you put your phone in, its like trying to balance a 10 pence piece on its side. You can make a cup of tea by pouring hot water from a boot... Doesn't mean it is a good cup of tea. This charges... Just not very well. Has one job and does it badly.

Seriously, don't bother people.

I gave it 2 stars mainly because it came pretty quick. Two days after ordering free delivery.
on 22 April 2013
First time I have bought one of these things for a phone...ever!

Firstly it arrived within a few days so absolutely no problem with delivery, full marks there.

You get a USB to micro-USB cable and the dock and some literature. From my interpretation this is OEM, even though it says "made in China" - but then again everything these days are! It does have all the usual RIM/Blackberry stuff where they should be. The dock itself is feels amazing, definitely premium quality (enforces the OEM standard), has a decent weight to it so it will not topple over easily (and the cable at the rear should also prevent this - if you manage to topple it over then you are a wolly!).

As for the use...I don't use the USB to micro-USB cable personally, instead I use my wall charger, so where I would normally have my phone lying to charge overnight on my bed-stand, its not on a dock, looks nice. Also you will see that there are other docks out there but some you have to have your phone to the side? Personally I think that is a bit stupid because you have the connectors at the bottom of the phone and it allows you to use the screen as a bedside clock or something.

So why 4/5 and not 5/5? Well if you put the phone in the dock, the phone itself can fall over if you knock the table or something, so if you are charging it overnight and it somehow lost contact with the connection contacts, then you wake up to a phone with no battery. This has not happened to me though but I make sure it sits comfortably and won't loose contact so after a week this bad-boy as worked like a charm.
on 13 October 2014
This is a quality product.

Just like the Blackberry 9900 itself, the dock is monolithic in design and reassuringly solid. It has been constructed using various materials: glossy plastic at the front, soft-touch where the BB logo is and the underside is rubberized to prevent slipping.

Although the retail package comes with a plug and cable i simply connect the doc to USB charger.

The 9900 sits firmly into the dock as one would expect and shifts to clock mode.

Real nice all round.
on 28 November 2011
Compared to the equivalent for the 9700 Bold it is very poor. Unless placed perfectly, the phone falls out of the pod or fails to make contact and does not charge. Very poor value at any price.