5.0 out of 5 stars Corsair Carbide 500R!
Where to start? Overall this case is BRILLIANT, since this was my first build, I needed to make sure that I could find a case that was easy to work with, and I found it!
Published on 13 Aug 2012 by Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Fragile USB3 cable
Otherwise this case is fine but since I had problems with my motherboards I ended up connecting and disconnecting the cables repeatedly. The USB3 cable that connects the front ports didn't take this well. The plug broke up and when it did I could see why: it was held together by a small piece of plastic. Once it broke the pins started coming out.

The case is...
Published 4 months ago by Jani Pitkänen

5.0 out of 5 stars Corsair Carbide 500R!, 13 Aug 2012
The 500R has 10 case fan mounts, 2x120mm at the front, 1x200mm or 2x120/140mm on the side, 2x120/140mm on the top, 1x120mm at the back, 1x120/140 at the bottom (next to PSU), and 2x120mm on the hard drive cages. (Providing you don't take the top one off.) The stock fans (2x120mm front, 1x200mm side, 1x120mm rear) are very quiet, and provide brilliant performance, and even the Fan Controller is amazing with 3 different fan speeds to choose from. Also has a LED button right next to it.
I looked on the Corsair website to see if they sell the 500R fans separate, as i wanted some more for the top and bottom, but for some reason the fans aren't on Corsair's website, and they haven't released the manufacturer for their fans, but i did buy 2 Xigmatek 140mm fans for the top (Xigmatek Crystal 140 White L%C3%BCfter and they look very very similar as the stock fans (As in the fan structure and LED pattern on the blades) and I also bought a Cooler Master Blade Master for the bottom (Since you won't see the LEDS anyway). If you're not going to spend a wad of money on a radiator for the top, then i recommend you buy these fans also. They have excellent airflow and provide good cooling capability.
Cable management in this case is very good, it took me one or two trys to move the cables around and get the back side panel on, but so far so good.
Accessories were brilliant also, including a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter, which is very useful if your motherboard doesn't support USB 3.0. The case also comes with some extra fan screws, and the usual, motherboard standoffs and screws, and psu screws.
The case also has thumbscrews which don't fall off the back panels when fully undone, so of-course you don't drop & lose them!
The case also has a fully black interior, which just makes the overall aesthetics of the case look wonderful.
It does include 100% tool-less bays! Hard drive bays and optical drive bays (Can also put screws in), the hard drive bays are quite flexible, but once you get a hard drive in them, and its in the case its solid as steel! They are also SSD compatible.

Overall 5/5! If you are on a budget for a case, or if you are starting a new build, then I recommend you buying this!

EDIT: After having this case for a while now, and i've added a few extra things to my build: radiator, SSD, another hard drive, and a few more things here and there, i've noticed that the rubber grommet next to the power supply is abit small, so if you have loads of cables coming out of your power supply, this might be a tad small, and tight to get them all through.
The radiator i have installed is the H100i, from Corsair, this fitted easily, with a 15mm mounting spacing, Corsair do this with all their cases, and radiators, so they're all compatible with each other. I was originally debating the H110 also, but after reading a few threads and forums you can only mount the H110 in a certain angle. So i went with the H100i for ease of compatibility.

EDIT+: I have now pretty much maxed out this case, i've filled every single fan mount (2 120mm front, 2 120mm top (H100i), 2 140mm on the side, 2 120mm on the hard drive cages, 1 120mm rear, 1 120mm bottom) I also have 2 128GB SSDs in Raid 0, and 2 2TB WD Caviar Black hard drives in Raid 1. Also a sound card and 2 GTX670 graphics cards in SLI and this case does have adequate room for them, and since i have provided more then enough fans for airflow, they do stay relatively cool, even under gaming load.
I mentioned above about the issue with the grommet next to the power supply, again it is a little bit on the small side, and getting all the cables through is a squeeze, but i have managed to do it, even with a 650w power supply with 2 SATA connector chains, 2 PCIe connector chains and 1 molex connector chain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, everything fits and cools well - plus it has a fan LED switch!, 14 Jan 2013
To answer a question I was asking before I purchased - the case is wider than it appears in the picture. I thought it looked a little thin, despite common sense and mathematics telling me it was easily wide enough. I needn't have worried - I bolted a huge Noctua NH-D14 to the motherboard, and there's a good amount of room between it and the stock 200mm side fan, so even if you've got another, thicker fan you'd like to stick on the side instead it should fit even with a massive aftermarket cooler.

Fan filters - yes it does have fan filters, but only on the front and bottom. This isn't too much of an issue for me because I have the side fan facing away from the dusty parts of my room, but it's worth noting. The bottom fan filter slides out so you can install a 120/140mm fan, but I can't because my PSU is quite long and covers some of the mounting holes. If you turn your PSU upside down as I did so that the intake fan points downwards, that's covered by the dust filter as well.

As for cooling, there's a total of ten fan mounts as listed, if you remove the 200mm side fan which I haven't just yet. Otherwise there are eight total. I, however, removed the top hard drive cage to improve airflow through there, and bought a Corsair SP120 fan to stick to the bottom hard drive cage in a push/pull type thing and also attached two Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition fans to the top of the case to act as exhausts. This means I have all 7 total fan mounts filled. The airflow is good when you manage the cables properly behind the motherboard. It was a bit of a squeeze for me because I'm terrible at managing cables, but there's enough room behind the motherboard tray for every cable you could ever fit in a case this size.

I can't speak much for ease of build. I imagine for a veteran it's a cakewalk to build in something as spacious as this, but I kept screwing up and had to remove the motherboard three times to fit new cables in or suchlike. I may even have to do it again to attach the wifi card to my motherboard. But what I will say is that this case is very forgiving for even a clumsy fool like myself, and it made it much less arduous than some cases I could mention (but won't). So overall I enjoyed building into it - you can get your hands around it and pick up dropped screws and so on, so no problems there other than ones I caused myself.

In my opinion, this chassis looks better than it's supposed better, the Graphite 600T. It's imposing and angular, but not ugly. The paint is solid and only scratched off where I attached my anti-static wristband, while a screwdriver barely scraped it. Most importantly it comes with a fan LED switch. A lot of cases seem to forgo this for some reason, but the 500R has one and I'm eternally grateful for it. During the day, the white light looks great but at night it gets a little bright and obtrusive and it's great to have the option to switch it off. The fan controller is a bit basic, only wiring up to the front and side fans by default, and I just leave it on maximum because they're quiet enough at that setting.

So basically, a forgiving first-timer's case with good cooling, cable routing and more than enough space for two, perhaps three large graphics cards, native SSD support (so no need to go out and buy an adapter), removable hard drive cages and a switch to turn off the LEDs if they get annoying (which they might in the dark) all in a <£100 case. You'll probably need to buy some extra fans if you're going the overclocking/heavy use route, but I guarantee you won't mind because the case you're putting them is of such great quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking, easy to use case, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Corsair Carbide 500R Micro ATX Midi Tower White (Personal Computers)
Best case I've used as it has loads of space to install mb, etc., and SSD and DD can be fitted without tools. The case looks great the stock fans give a reasonable airflow. One issue was that I needed angled sata cables as the drives go in from the side and it is a shame it doesn't have a finer filter for the large side fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars corsair pc case 500r, 25 July 2013
this case is excellent with very good build quality and good airflow. On the downside it is rather large but given how well it is designed internally I am not sure it would have been possible to manufacture it in any other way. Certainly looks the business
would recommend it without question.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 30 Jun 2013
very spacious compared to my last case that i had my only gripe that i have is the fans it comes with have proprietry fittings on them and will not fit properly into a separate fan controller if you have one

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality case, 21 Jun 2013
This was my first build in 4 years, and I wanted to chose a case that would last, not only for this build, but the next in a few years time.
When I opened the case the first time, I knew I had made the right choice. Plenty of room for expansion inside, and with a good selection of holes for cable routing.
My last case was a Thermaltake Soprano which, while not the most expensive case, looked pretty good and claimed to be tool-less design. The only problem was the many sharp edges and plasticy brackets for fitting drives.
I have no fear of cutting myself in the Carbide, and it really is tool-less. I have fitted 2 conventional hard drives, an SSD and a DVD rewriter with no need for a screwdriver.
If I had to think of one negative, it is the lack of an internal speaker. But in 20 years of using PC's, I have only needed it once to fix the BIOS by listening for the beep code. And you can always pick up a cheap one elsewhere.
Lastly, whether its the case, or the components used for the build, I have to say that it is virtually silent. The only way I know it is on is by the light on the front. Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design, 19 May 2012
This is the best case I have ever worked in with a brilliant design, loads of cable routing holes and quick release, tool free HDD mounting system, which can take SSD as well as 3.5inch. It is really easy to build a tidy system and the fans are whisper quiet (2 front, 1 back and 1 side) and the case looks classy with the white fan LEDs to complement the smart black and arctic white colour scheme. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Case Study!, 27 Feb 2013
This case is amazing! Bigger than I thought so if space is a worry make sure you check first.

Loads of space inside, removable drive bays to increase space for extra big graphic cards & air flow. 4 built in fans, front and side fans have white LED lights which can be turned on and off from a button on the front. two front USB 3 ports. Tools less design.

Three setting fan control and can hold up to 10 fans if required.

Well built. Very please with this case

4.0 out of 5 stars Grat Case with only one two problems, 8 Feb 2013
konstantinos papakostas (Huddersfield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a great case and meets all my expectations. Although, there are two problems about it. Firstly, most of the case is not filtered and dust gets into it very easily and secondly, due tot he fact that the motherboard tray is lower than the rest of the back panel, if one is using an E-ATX board (Like i am using the maximus V formula), then the bottom row of SATA cannot be used

5.0 out of 5 stars Astronomically good, 15 Nov 2012
Excellent build quality, enough room for large graphics cards in sli or crossfire, good cable management space and tooless drive bays. Overall great value.