5.0 out of 5 stars Midnight Breed Series Book 9
Published on 26 Jun. 2011 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

3.0 out of 5 stars A little flat
I have enjoyed this series, although I do think the quality character/story tailed off a little after the first four. However, this one covers the story of Hunter who is a difficult character to warm to. His love interest, Corinne, was a little more developed but even so the characters were a little flat and not quite as engaging as others in this series. Nonetheless,...
Published 17 months ago by Buglebead

5.0 out of 5 stars Midnight Breed Series Book 9, 26 Jun. 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Deeper than Midnight is the 9th book in the Midnight Breed series so although this review won't contain spoilers for this book it may include information from previous books. You might want to skip reading this review if you're not up to date with the series. If you're new to this series it is one I would highly recommend, it is absolutely my favourite paranormal romance series (for me even topping J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood books) and each book consistently manages to raise the standards and leave you desperate for the next installment. I would definitely recommend reading the series in order though starting with Kiss of Midnight.

Deeper than Midnight picks up the story just after the ending of Taken by Midnight, Corinne and the other Breedmates have just been rescued by the Order from Dragos' lair and are still struggling to come to terms with the torture they have suffered for years. Corinne was his captive for 75 years and doesn't recognise the world she now finds herself in, she is desperate to see her family but scared that they will have forgotten her and nervous about how they will react when they find out what she has been through. Hunter was bred by Dragos from the ancient and raised as a lethal killer so he more than anyone else knows what Dragos is capable of. When he is given the task of returning Corinne to her family he finds himself inexplicably drawn to her but has no idea how to deal with his attraction.

I have been a massive fan of the Midnight Breed series for several years now so I can't tell you how excited I was to get my hands on the latest installment! I feels like I've been waiting for Hunter's story forever so I couldn't start reading fast enough. Lara Adrian is my favourite author so be prepared for a bit of a fan girl review, she writes fabulous romances and the ongoing story arc about the Order and Dragos is full of suspense and intrigue that has me on the edge of my seat.

Corinne has suffered unimaginable torture during the years that Dragos held her captive, the worst by far being the loss of her son who was taken from her moments after her birth. The only thing that kept her sane was the thought that one day she might be able to see him again and now she is free she is determined to track him down so they can finally be together. She will do whatever it takes to find him but she is unsure of who she can trust to help her. She is also desperate to see her family again but after finding out that they thought she was dead she is nervous about how they will react when they see her again. Corinne hopes that they will be able to help her find her son but would never have guessed at the reaction she gets when they see her.

Hunter was raised by Dragos as a killing machine, as a Gen One Breed male he is strong, fast and powerful and he was trained from a young age to block out all emotion and focus on the task at hand. Since he was freed and joined the Order he has focused single mindedly on bringing Dragos down and killing anyone who is in league with him. He comes across as cold and emotionless but that is down to his upbringing, it was seen as a weakness to have feelings and Dragos would not tolerate weakness of any kind. Hunter is drawn to Corinne but he doesn't know how to deal with the feelings that she brings out in him, when it comes to love Hunter is as naive and innocent as they come but he can't deny his attraction.

I loved watching Hunter and Corinne together, they both had terrible pasts but in their own ways are quite innocent, they are well suited to each other and make a great couple. We get to see plenty of the rest of the Order and life in the compound which I loved. Tess and Dante have some exciting news and let me just say that Dante stole my heart all over again (you'll have to read the book to find out why!). Dragos has been busy plotting against the Order and the warriors find themselves at greater risk than ever before, the action had me on the edge of my seat with my heart in my mouth and I'm still worried about how things will play out in the next few books. The scene has been set nicely for Chase's story, he has always been my least favourite character in the series, I'm not sure why but I never really took to him. I have to admit that my opinion has changed and I'm now really looking forward to his book.

I had hoped to find out more about the changes taking place with Jenna but there was so much going on that I didn't really think about that until after I'd finished reading. The story is fast paced and action packed and I'm sure it will satisfy fans of the series. I will warn you that the ending almost killed me - I can't believe I've got to wait a whole year to find out what happens next! Believe me this is one you don't want to miss but make sure you've read the rest of the series before picking it up - once you're drawn into the world Lara Adrian has created you won't want to leave it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Midnight Breed: Deeper than Midnight, 17 Aug. 2011
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Wow what can I say but yet another brilliant instalment in the series and to date I think this has got to be one of my favourite. The book was only just delivered on Saturday as for some reason the UK had a later release date than the US which was really disappointing. I have whizzed through this book as I just couldn't put it down, I have been waiting for Hunter's story since he joined The Order and Lara Adrian certainly didn't disappoint.

This is the 9th book in the series and features Hunter and Corinne Bishop who if you read the last book will know that she has only recently been rescued from Dragos' grasp by The Order. Hunter is a trained lethal killer yet we do get to see his softer side in this book and how his senses are awakened to more carnal pleasures with Corinne that he has previously not even thought about/missed. There is of course lots of fighting action as normal and the continuous cat and mouse game between Dragos and The Order. I really enjoyed the end scenes in the book as without ruining it for anyone who hasn't yet read it they leave the story totally open for then next instalment which will be Chase's story which I can't wait for.

Another brilliant, brilliant instalment in the series from Lara Adrian, I would definitely recommend this book and this series to everyone who enjoys this genre of book. Here's the reading series if you need it:

1. Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed)
2. Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed)
3. Midnight Awakening (Midnight Breed)
4. Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed)
5. Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed)
6. Ashes of Midnight (Midnight Breed 6)
7. Shades of Midnight (Midnight Breed)
8. Taken by Midnight (Midnight Breed)
9. Deeper than Midnight

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 24 Aug. 2011
E. L. Joseph (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is the 9th book in the Midnight breed series and they are still brilliant. This one follows Corinne Bishop, one of the Breedmates freed from Dragos in the last book as she tries to piece her life back together after 75 years of confinement and torture. Keeping her safe as she returns home is Hunter, a breed male of the Order whose own life has been controlled by Dragos in the past. His task seems simple but factor in Mira's vision, a few bad guys and Corinne's secret and it is actually a bit more complicated.

This story was quite sweet really as the two main characters despite their dreadful pasts are pretty innocent which i enjoyed. Alongside the budding relationship we learn about Hunter's past which was great; I never expected to like him as much as I did. Corinne was a pretty good character though I must admit there have been better lead females in this series. We also find that the rest of the order are pretty busy when the security of the Boston Compound is compromised, Tess gives birth and one member of the Order slips further into Bloodlust.

The plot was fast-paced and highly enjoyable. Many things happened in this book to further the overall story and the next book was set up rather spectacularly at the end. Despite not being Chase's biggest fan in any of the previous books, this one especially, I'm desperate to read his now.

I highly recommend this series though you must start at the beginning with Kiss of Midnight. I have read all the previous books but with the gap between the release of each one I had forgotten little bits here and there and it took me a little while to familiarise myself with the series again.

Amazing read and definitely a keeper!

4.0 out of 5 stars not knowing love but only discipline, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Deeper than Midnight (Midnight Breed Book 9) (Kindle Edition)
Corinne spent years locked away in one of Dragos prisons, abused and alone and feeling there was never gonna be no escape. But one day the Order of strong Vampires came to her rescue, Vampires on a mission to stop Dragos and his plans to take over. With everything that has happened to her Corinne has lost her innocence and her trust in people/Vampires. until one Vampire comes into her life and becomes her protector.

Hunter once one of Dragos assassins growing up alone and in fear of the man who brought him up, not knowing love but only discipline. now working for the order he becomes Corinne's protector. Both out to go against Dragos. Both on there separate missions but end up with the same goal. Working together they form an unlikely friendship and a bond neither has ever had before. with there bond growing as there mission goes along they find more then friendship, they find a love and a family both have been craving .

Well it took me a long time to read this book because when ever I tried to sit and read it something happened and I didn't get the chance, but when I did get to read it I loved it. I had so many emotions running through me as I was reading this book. I felt Corinne's pain as her child was taken from her, felt Hunters Loneliness as he grow up alone. and felt both there nerves as they realise there feelings for each other. I'm a mega fan of Lara Adrian and iv not read one of her books iv not liked, I have to be truthful and say this wasn't my favourite book in the series but I still enjoyed it very much. Lara has an amazing way with words and she is able to help you get lost in this world of the breed. I sometimes wish I could really jump into the book and find my self one of these breed males for my own. I love the they make there breed mates feel protected and loved. I cant wait to move onto the next book and seeing how the series continues because this book ended up with a Hugh cliffhanger which I'm not happy about because I have to wait to read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC ADDITION TO THE SERIES, 22 July 2011
Reader (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
First I would like to say that I was very disappointed that Ms. Adrian's British publishers took the decision to release this book in the UK almost two months after it's US release, I had to resort to buying a copy from a US supplier.
I really loved this book it was fast paced and very exciting there were no dull moments at all. It starts from where the last book left off with the breed mates who were rescued from Dragos, being returned to their families. This story centres around Corinne Bishop who was once friendly with Brock who is now Jenna's mate. Hunter is assigned to return Corinne home to her family. There is another breed male who is featured throughout the book who is on a downward spiral into bloodlust. He features fairly heavily throughout the book, but I did not find this a problem as it fitted perfectly in with the storyline. All of the characters from the previous books are featured which was really great to hear how they are all doing. Of course Dragos is still out there causing the order massive problems I liked the growing relationship with Corinne and Hunter two emotionally damaged people. If I am honest I prefer this episode to the last book. This was an exciting read full of tension passion emotion brilliant. Lara Adrian has produced another winner. Please note that this is not a stand alone story. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exciting read, 18 Jan. 2012
fudggie girl (wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The 9th book the in the Midnight Breed series deserves it's place fo a number of reasons.All the books are good but i really wanted to read Hunters'story as he seemed so vulnrable and i felt there was much more to his background we needed to know.In the last book we were introduced to Corinne a breedmate who was kidnapped thirty years ago and rescued alongside other breedmates from the clutches of Dragos' breeding programe.
Hunter is given the task of returning her to her family and from the moment he sees her he is drawn to her but having never have been loved or even been shown affection he dosn't understand his feelings toward her.Together they learn about their pasts and and go in search of a man who knows about what Dragos has planned next.Along the way they fall in love but Corinne has a secret that will either crush their love before it begins or can make it stronger.
Meanwhile Sterling Chase has gone missing but a bigger worry has Lucan and the other warriors preparing for more than another battle.The end of the book is explosive in many ways and from the start we are sent on a rollercoaster of a ride from the first page to the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars And so it goes.., 24 Sept. 2011
Beanie Luck (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I really enjoyed this book, the breed stories are one of my favourite anthologies in literature and i have nothing but admiration for Lara.

This story is about Hunter and Corinne but there are many other smaller sub stories taking place, like the birth of Dante's son and the downfall of chase, who im guessing will have his own story and that story may involve a certain intriguing Ms Fairchild ?

We get to find out a bit more about Dragos and his intentions in this story, as well as discovering some information about Hunter and Corinne and their pasts at the hands of Dragos, which i assure you is not pretty.

I also loved bringing in the other bigger characters as well as i do miss the big ones, being Gideon, Lucan, Dante, but what happened to Rio ??

A great addition to the series, the pace never slowed, i wasnt bored and i read it all in one sitting, cant be any better testament than that lol

Thanks Lara..

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Good One!, 13 Nov. 2011
Another snipet of the unfolding war between Dragos and the Warriors. To be honest I think Lara and her breed series is absolutely fantastic. There are some authors who seem to have gone awry with their storylines, thankfully Lara isnt one of them. For me her novels are fast paced - but not enough to completely lose track of everything gone on - and entertaining. The war is now moving along quite nicely and I am looking forward to the next instalment.

Good storyline, excellent action but a little lacking on the sexual encounters (unless of course her books are not supernatural romance, then please ignore the sex comment)

Well done, Lara!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant!, 22 April 2014
This series just gets better & better. Love that you get to see another side of Hunter & the twist with Nathan is just brilliant. Love this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 21 Mar. 2014
I absolutely loved this book. Another excellent one to add to the collection by Lara Adrian. A really good read