5.0 out of 5 stars Jamie Fraser - The Man We All Wish We Could Marry!
For many years I turned away from romance novels. I considered them to be foolish, sentimental and a waste of my time.

Published 7 months ago by Judge Tabor

1.0 out of 5 stars Wife-Beating is not Romance
Half-way through this overlong novel, Jamie beats his wife ("half to death" she says) and later confesses that he enjoyed it. Claire's rapidly accepts that she "deserved" the beating. I don't care what the historical context, this is SICK! This is the first romance I have read in years, and it will be the last. The violence in this novel is...
Published on 26 July 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Jamie Fraser - The Man We All Wish We Could Marry!, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)

Then one day I decided I wanted to read a really good romance so I went online and googled "Best Romance Novels" and Voyager (Outlander Series) came up as #1. So, I thought - why not? After reading all the books in this series by Diana Gabaldon (not once but twice) I am now eagerly awaiting what is purported to be the final book, "Written in My Own Heart's Blood."

Other reviewers have written about the premise for this book which involves time travel for a young married woman named Clare Beauchamp Randall from the 20th century who accidentally goes back in time to the 18th century. Not knowing if she will ever return to her life in the 20th century and in order to spare her life, she must get married in the 18th century. So she marries a young man named Jamie Fraser.

What can I say that would be enough? In my opinion, Jamie Fraser is close to everything a woman would want in her mate. He is loyal, willing to give his wife freedom to be herself, selflessly sacrifices himself for those he loves, has a heart large enough to take in those who are not his blood and make them family and may God have mercy on you if you try to harm them.

The adventures Jamie and Clare go through together are absolutely amazing. The set of books in this series can be truly identified as historical. You will never again view the Scottish people in quite the same way after you go through the Battle of Culloden with them. From the court of Louis XV where the Bonny Prince Charlie was a guest to the American colonies and the American Revolution, you will be transported through time to see how the Scottish emigrants worked to make a life.

Although Jamie's and Clare's relationship began as a marriage of convenience, theirs became a life-long love affair. My favorite set of books in this genre. Because of this book, I began reading romance novels again but I have never found anything to compare with this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Desert Island Book ...., 27 April 2007
M. Lugg "bookworm" (Helston, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If I could have only one book Cross Stitch would be it. I stumbled across this book a few years ago and was totally blown away. Since then I have read all of the books in this series a few times (I am not the sort of person who usually re-reads books) they are just amazing - plus, I am in love with Jamie!

If you have not read any of Diana Gabaldon's books then you are missing out on a real treat but I would suggest that you read them in order, starting with Cross Stitch then Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, Fiery Cross and finally, A Breath of Snow on Ashes. They are all wonderful books and can be read out of order (especially the first four which I think are the best) but I think you get so much more understanding of Claire, Jamie & Co if read in order.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlike anything I've ever read before..., 17 Feb. 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
To put it quite simply, I caved and bought this book second hand from Amazon as a Christmas gift to myself after seeing it recommended on so many discussion threads that it was actually getting annoying I'd not given it a try yet. Oh, I had my doubts: It's definitely *not* my usual genre of reading (time travel romance with vast reams of history thrown in), but I've thought that before about books and have been proven very wrong (cough cough, `Bronze Horseman' anyone?) Put bluntly, this is another `proved me wrong' book to add to that ever growing list, because this book was stunning.

Granted, it took me a few chapters to get into it and I *did* wonder if I'd made a mistake paying a whole 23p (plus postage!) for the copy... Ha. The beginning was quite slow and laced with gratuitous sex scenes of duller than dull history buff Frank and his wife- the stories heroine Claire, but by the time Claire stumbled accidentally back through time into Jacobite Scotland I actually found myself quite enjoying it after all.

Maybe it's to do with Gabaldon's depiction of all of the epic battles, the geography of the place and her fantastic writing- you really can imagine yourself falling back in time to crumbling castles or running through woods away from the Red Coats. Her sense of description is just astounding- other reviewers have complained about her research being inaccurate, but as I'm not an expert on Jacobite Scotland I just took the book for what it was- a really terrific read. Or maybe it's because I'd actually taken a chance on reading something different than usual and was surprised by the potential of this untapped genre.

Whatever the reason, I'm ordering the rest of the books from this epic saga and I can't wait to curl up and read them. I really must remember that in future when a book comes so highly commended, it's usually with good reason!

4.0 out of 5 stars If you love history and romance, and the concept of time travel and science fiction is also acceptable, 18 Feb. 2014
‘Cross Stitch’ written by Diana Gabaldon is the first part of her worldwide known Outlander series, often referred to as the romantic novel in which exclusively women will enjoy, although it is actually a novel that mixes a lot of genres - adventure, drama, mystery, history, fantasy and romance - delivering a book that despite its grandiosity can be read quickly and easily.

Diana Gabaldon so far issued a dozen books in Outlander series, and still works on few new ones demonstrating how great her formula is given the great success of her books in the market.

The main character of her books is a nurse named Claire Randall who is coming back home after World War II and once again starts to live with her husband. Thanks to a strange set of circumstances and interesting fantastical premise Claire will be returned in time 200 years ago, back in the 18th-century Scotland where she will experience countless adventures and experience romantic love…

What will be of concern to a certain number of readers at first glance is the thickness of the book, which is exceptional, although the novel actually is read with ease due to the accessible style in which it was written. And though the book is primarily advertised by word-of-mouth as a romance, the fact that the author obviously knows the historical events and circumstances makes pages of the novel abundant with historical references; therefore Gabaldon’s novel can primarily still be considered historical, though through all its pages interwoven is romantic note that has definitely made the book so recognizable and successful.

It’s particularly interesting how many sex scenes can be found on the novel pages, and although the malicious could say it was a trend that began with ‘50 Shades of Gray’, which is obviously something that goes well with the audience, ‘Cross Stitch’ is a novel that has been written more than 20 years ago hence such a claim is certainly not true. And on the other hand, precisely sex is something that makes this novel more realistic - as opposed to the mystification or beautifying how typically different authors depict sex, in this case it is truthful, sometimes brutal, but certainly real.

‘Cross Stitch’ is an entertaining novel with which you will not be bored, regardless of its length, the novel that is easy to read, full of details that make the story interesting and characters more believable; so if you love history and romance, and the concept of time travel and science fiction is not too repulsive for you, this is definitely a book in which you will fully enjoy. Taking into account this is only the first in a series of author installments that will lead her heroine all around the world, if you enjoy this Diana Gabaldon first novel for a long time you will have plenty of pages to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to return to ... over and over, 30 Jun. 2014
Joanne K. Pilsworth (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I have bought this edition to go with the standard PB edition and the Kindle edition I have already, because it is an excellent book, and one that stays firmly on the favourites bookshelf.

The author has been heavily involved in the production of the forthcoming TV series, and the picture is of the two actors playing the key roles of Jamie Fraser and Claire Randall.

If you want a historical book, with a very credible set of characters, and a brilliant plot line, then this is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A RIVETING PAGE TURNER..., 17 Nov. 2002
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
A lover of historical fiction, adventure books, and books with a time travel theme, I hesitated buying this book, despite the very intriguing sounding plot, because it was labeled as being a romance novel. Still, curiosity won the day, and am I ever glad that it did! This has got to be one of the most engrossing and highly entertaining novels that I have ever read. Surprisingly well written, I was hooked almost immediately.
The novel begins in the year 1945, and the plot revolves around the adventures of Claire Randall, an Englishwoman and combat nurse during World War II, who is reunited with her husband, Frank, after the war. While on a second honeymoon in Scotland, she visits a strange, flat topped hill in the highlands of Scotland, where a forbidding stone circle draws her. Touching one of the stones, she is hurled through a vortex in time and finds herself in eighteenth century Scotland.
There, she meets James Fraser, a brave and brawny Scotsman, and finds herself thrust into the midst of clan warfare and intrigue. Finding in James a soulmate, she falls passionately in love, but is conflicted because of the feelings she harbors for the husband she left behind. She goes on, however, to have enough adventures to last a lifetime. What happens to these star crossed lovers in eighteenth century Scotland is riveting.
The author is a master storyteller and her use of historical detail is superlative. Those who love well written, historical fiction will be delighted. The book tells a rip roaring good story and is a veritable page turner. This is the first in a now published series of five books. Having read each and every one, all I can say is...Bravo! I love each and every one of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars escapism at its best!, 22 Nov. 2003
By A Customer
I found this book on an extremely boring holiday with my mother in law and have read it approximately ten or twenty times since. It is quite brilliant, not sure whether it is entirely historically accurate! but this ceases to matter in the sheer fantastical escapism of the whole thing. The touch of the supernatural adds so much to what could have been a fairly dry historical novel and this touch goes on to add immeasurably to all the other books in the series too.
You need to suspend your disbelief on a number of occasions, particularly with regard to Claire Randall's ability to cure almost anything with a few herbs and a poultice or two, but I can't bring myself to be too harsh as I love this book and all the subsequent ones so much.
Jamie certainly only exists within the pages of these books, he is a male ideal, he is almost perfect in his blend of sexiness and romanticism and his single minded totally faithful love for Claire is what we women all dream of!
I have read all the books in this series many times and I urge you to buy them all, I can't wait for the final installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars addictive story and characters, 19 Jan. 2005
P. Burt "nailsea_belle" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Hardcover)
Thanks to Amazon and all the other book reviewers for putting me in touch with this book (I've just read the UK version called "Cross Stitch") due to their enthusiastic recommendations. I was a little wary at first - I mean, can a book with over 300 reviewers, nearly everyone giving it 5 stars really be that good? I'd never heard of the author before, and it seemed (from the point of view of an cynical old English reader like me) to have a few things against it from the start.
The author is an American writing about English and Scots people, having never visited Scotland and having been once to England. So it looked like it would turn out to be yet another American rose-tinted view of Scottish history with handsome hunks (speaking with a Yank accent!) sporting kilts and sweeping innocent maidens off their feet! Happily I decided to take a chance anyway and ordered Cross Stitch from Amazon. As others have commented before, this turned out not to be a standard romantic fiction novel. It's an sweeping 18th century historical novel set against the Jacobite rebellion in 1745, with an intense romance between the hero and heroine of the book, Jamie and Claire, plus a touch of the supernatural (time-travel, a la Dr Who!) thrown in to the mix. I found myself really caring about the main characters and even felt a bit teary-eyed on one or two occasions. My only complaint would be that almost all the English characters in the book(apart from Claire and Frank) were portrayed as mad, bad or homosexual. Hope this feature improves with her other books in the series which of course, I now feel compelled to read! As other readers have said, there is some sex and violence in the novel, including a wife-beating scene, so this book may not suitable for very young teenagers. However, this was all in keeping with the historical setting of the story, and did not spoil my own enjoyment of this excellent novel. It's very well researched and I found very little to criticize in its authenticity; Diana Gabaldon has even tried to include British slang words and names for things, Gaelic expressions etc - which other US authors often haven't bothered to do. So there were no really "jarring" bits of dialogue where you're thinking "Huh? -what's this?" I didn't really want the novel to end and found myself dreading the arrival of the last page - always in my experience, the sign of an excellent read. I can't recommend this book too highly. Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ABSOLUTELY RIVETING STORY!!!..., 17 Nov. 2002
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The novel begins in the year 1945, and the plot revolves around the adventures of Claire Randall, an Englishwoman and combat nurse during World War II, who is reunited with her husband, Frank, after the war. While on a second honeymoon in Scotland, she visits a strange flat topped hill in the highlands of Scotland, where a forbidding stone circle draws her. Touching one of the stones, she is hurled through a vortex in time and finds herself in eighteenth century Scotland.
The author is a master storyteller and her use of historical detail is superlative. Those who love well written, historical fiction will be delighted. The book tells a rip roaring good story and is a veritable page turner. This is the first in a now published series of five books. Having read four out of the five, thus far, all I can say is...Bravo! I love each and every one of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story throughout time, 20 Jan. 2013
Sandy S. (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Hardcover)
THE OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon

The Romance Reader, Listopia and Amazon ALL list THE OUTLANDER as their number one romance novel of all time. Because I apparently had nothing to read one night *rolls eyes*, I ordered THE OUTLANDER from KOBO and set my mind on everything love and romance. By the time I was finished (2 nights later) 896 `real' pages, I had to agree: The Outlander is probably the number one romance novel *sigh*.
First published in 1991, The Outlander is a novel of love, romance and betrayal set in both the 18th and 20th centuries. So hold on, grab a coffee or glass of wine, read my review. It is almost as long as the book. : )

The Outlander is the first book in Diana Gabaldon's The Outlander series. The Romance Reader, Listopia and Amazon ALL list The Outlander as the number one romance book of all time. So, I dug in my heels, and forged ahead. Almost 900 pages later, I am exhausted. The premise involves the history between Scotland and England, romance, sex, love, betrayal, violence, medicine, witchcraft, spirituality, torture, rape, time travel and family. But above all else, this is a love story that crosses the centuries: an accidental relationship that was forced between two people, to save their lives and the lives of many more.

The Outlander is a long novel. The many different storylines of romance, love and torture at the hands of someone claiming to love, is reminiscent of many abusive relationships. But the true relationship between Jamie and Claire, evolves into a love match, that anyone would hold close to their heart. The Outlander is one story,that I will never forget. As the first book in The Outlander series, I can only surmise, that my heart will be heavy, my eyes will be red, and I will not like the idea that Claire will return to her own time. The lists and top tens may have it correct-this is one of the best romance stories I have read.

see all of my reviews at : thereadingcafe(dot)com

Outlander: (TV Tie-In)