4.0 out of 5 stars Sparse sunset time ennui, 25 Sept. 2011
S.R.J "ssocialdrummer" (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Believers (Audio CD)
I listened to the first track and thought "oh, ok he's getting a bit (and for A.A Bondy - a bit really is a bit , as in a scintilla) rocky", and to be honest on first few listens I found that first track something that doesnt really belong on this album, but after about 3 listens it is just as perfect as the rest of vthe album .

In can hear bits of the Velvet Underground here and there (particularly the very faint and slightly fuzzy guitar on "Skull and Bones"), and whereas the velvets produced drug infused sounds Bondy says the music on this album was inspired and "conjured during and between dreams, in bare rooms, and on the late night streets of America" - hence I assume the album cover, a sparse black and white picture of a street at night.

He has a sumptuous voice that drifts in and out of the minimal percussion, languid guitar picking and occasional orchestration, nothing is overdone or pushed to excess, but in spite of the relative minimalism Bondy manages to create a heady mix of lush and quite heavy and occasionally dreamy,sparse, sounding songs. Lots of reverb and echo have produced an album that is much more 'rocky' than his previous two offerings,but it still has a slight folky feel overall.

If you want to watch the sun go down and end the day with an album to put you at ease with all around you, then you would be advised to do so with Mr Bondy ringing in your ears.
S.R.J

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great album that grows and grows, 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Believers [12" VINYL] (Vinyl)
Have a listen to the sound clips on Aamazon and elsewhere.
I heard a few bits and pieces and was intrigued and decided
to take a punt on the vinyl Lp.

It must be my favourite new album of the last 18 months (others are 'Father,Son,Holy Ghost' by Girls
and 'Several Shades of Why' by J Mascis in case you're interested

Most of the tempo is pretty slow but there is a real depth to the sound that keeps
me coming back to it. I find I like it more with each listen.

AA Bondy also seems to be a bit of an enigma - his press profile is zero, he doesn't seem
to gig further than a few miles from home and his webite is more or less blank.

Let's hope he's been busy with the follow-up

5.0 out of 5 stars It will please you, 12 Sept. 2012
Oostrijck (Rotterdam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Believers (Audio CD)
This is a great album by a great singer-songwriter. If you like stuff like Ray Lamontagne, I Am Kloot, Tom McRae etc. then this cd will please you. It's winter music and you can almost feel the snow falling on the deserted pavement. It's serieus music but I wouldn't call it depressing. One of the better cd's of the past years for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong ambient singer-songwriter album, 2 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Believers (Audio CD)
The majority of this 40 minute album is made up of down-tempo songs. They never get crawlingly slow. If they did I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole as I hate very slow music.

The woozy, four in the morning atmosphere is king, and takes precedent over everything else. Technically it's a singer-songwriter album. Seen as such I think it's a rather so-so one. The lyrics aren't very good, and the music is too one note and a little boring.

Instead I think of it as an ambient album. Seen from that point of view it works wonderfully. The underdeveloped lyrics and the undemonstrative music clicks and the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

1. The Heart Is Willing 4:00 (8 out of 10 stars)
The lyrics aren't much but his performance sells them one hundred percent. A beautiful sounding song.

2. Down in the Fire (Lost Sea) 4:35 (7 out of 10 stars)
The chunky guitar has a wonderful lethargic quality to it as it drags over the rest of the music.

3. Skull & Bones 3:13 (8 out of 10 stars)
Quietly propulsive. Rather beautiful sounding. The lyrics begin to go somewhere but end too early.

4. 123 Dupuy Street 1:10 (4 out of 10 stars)
Pointless, short noise instrumental that has no tune or melody. Too short to be either good or bad. The album doesn't need something like this as it doesn't work as a change of pace. Also it seems too early in the album as these type of breather tracks usually pop up in the third quarter.

5. Surfer King 4:01 (6 out of 10 stars)
Lyrically and musically it doesn't do much.

6. Highway/Fevers 4:50 (8 out of 10 stars)
A bigger, more energetic and different sounding song. I think I hear extensive slide guitar on it. I would assume this would have been the obvious single.

7. Drmz 3:26 (7 out of 10 stars)
Probably has the most complete set of lyrics of all the songs here. The drums are very up-front.

8. The Twist 4:20 (7 out of 10 stars)
A more conventionally rocky song.

9. Rte. 28/Believers 6:59 (6 out of 10 stars)
This one feels like he fell back on his standard sound and doesn't really have much of a song to go with it. Slightly generic by the standards of this album. It's alright, nothing special.

10. Scenes from a Circus 4:21 (6 out of 10 stars)
An unspectacular song that has a slow, draggy quality to it (and I mean that in a negative way this time).

I like to make EP playlists out of some albums for my iPod. Tracks 1, 2, 3, and 6 made the cut.

Overall 8 out of 10 stars.

If you like Believers then I strongly recommend the Lana Del Ray album Born to Die. It was heavily hyped as the next big thing in pop music. I couldn't see what the fuss was all about. Her music was slow and boring. How did this stuff make the kids go crazy with excitement? So I let her pass me by.

A lot of months later I got her album anyway. As I was listening to it for the first time I thought to myself, "You know who she sounds like? AA Bondy. And he's a singer-songwriter I've tagged as ambient in iTunes." Suddenly her music clicked. I stopped thinking of it as pop. As pop music it wasn't very good, but as an ambient musician she sounded excellent.

Her music exists in a very similar modern LA noir sound world as Believers. It makes for the perfect companion album. The female to his male.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent, chilled-out, electro/acoustic singer songwriting, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Believers (Audio CD)
Definitely my new favourite artist . Not many artists like this around anymore. A geniune singer/songwriter, no posing or music industry nonsense with AA Bondy, just heartfelt, accomplished, sincere, chilled, semi-acoustic, atmospheric, beautiful music. Favourite tracks are Down In The Fire and Surfer King.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like quiet folk-rock buy it !!, 8 April 2015
N. S. Slinn - See all my reviews
Superb album.
What else can I say?

Believers
Believers by A.A. Bondy (Audio CD - 2011)