5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling Thriller.
Published on 5 Sep 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Read
Although this novel is not quite the body-count thriller one would expect from the product description (most of the murders mentioned in it are backstory, and barely sketched-out in the book itself) and the plot is fairly routine, it has other attractions to recommend it to readers.

It is an interesting story competently written in plain, clear language, and...
Published on 23 Jan 2012 by Polly Dactyl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling Thriller., 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Doll Collection (Kindle Edition)
I've read work from the author previously and have been impressed by her ability to hold a reader's interest and bring a story to fulfilment. I was keen to read this book as it is in my own genre and I had high expectations. I've been immensely impressed. Gloria is a magnificent creation; cunning and vindictive - occasionally with good reason, but most people wouldn't take the extreme measures to which she resorts - and I was fascinated by her from her first appearance and the poignancy of 'I wish I wasn't me'.
The opening line of chapter three, ' It was time to kill him' followed by her calling out, 'Garry, I can hear a noise in the cellar,' is wonderful. If this were a film the response would be a shouted exhortation not to go anywhere near the cellar from the audience. Garry, of course, is far from blameless, but Gloria takes any personal slight to extremes.
A chilling and highly effective novel, well worth the five stars, and excellent value at this price point. Highly recommended.
Jake

3.0 out of 5 stars A Worthwhile Read, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Doll Collection (Kindle Edition)

It is an interesting story competently written in plain, clear language, and possesses a genuine sense of momentum to carry the reader along. Above all else, it has Gloria, the villain of the piece. The internal thoughts of some of the other characters are sometimes a little too simplistic or childlike, perhaps, and some of the interactions and actions (or inactions in some cases) occasionally don't ring true. (For example, the married couple Gloria victimises, being the people they are, would certainly have called the police in to investigate.) But these are small quibbles which generally do not detract from the entertainment.

I would recommend this novel for the character of Gloria alone, which is a wonderful portrait of the bitter, negative and small-minded banality of real-world evil.

3.0 out of 5 stars An exciting read - with a disappointing downside., 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Doll Collection (Kindle Edition)
I read "The Doll Collection" to the end and was impressed with the author's style and the twists and turns of the plot and outcome. The disappointment came, for me, in the shape of the very poor editing. I came across so many errors of spelling - eg "dinning" instead if "dining" appeared several times. But worse were the "extra" words or omitted words - and even words in the wrong order, that meant pauses in reading to make sense of sentences. Without this very uncomfortable hampering of my reading I would have given this book 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me on the edge of my seat!!!!, 23 Sep 2011
The Doll Collection

I bought this because it was reasonably priced and sounded a good thriller. I was not disappointed. It kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end.
I loved the author and hope she writes more. Sometimes you find a real gem in these 86p books so I do urge you not to dismiss them because they are cheap.
More importantly, please do leave feedback as this is also very important to help others choose wisely.

Back to the story which flowed beautifully:

I booed and hissed the villains and wanted them to get their just desserts. I willed the hero and heroine to end up together despite the odds stacked against them. I loved the ideal of the collection of dolls. I loved Gloria, who was completely nutty and bonkers. Sometimes I just couldn't believe what I was reading!

Well written, great command of English with only a couple of typo's which didn't detract from the story one iota.

If you want a thriller - then give this book a try. Good luck to you with this book Joanna Stephen-Ward. I thoroughly recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put my Kindle down!, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Doll Collection (Kindle Edition)
Just started to read this again for the second time and I had forgotten how brilliant it is! I am totally hooked on the plot and the story line has me totally gripped I can't bear to put my Kindle down! The third book by the wonderfully talented author Joanna Stephen-Ward!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Doll collection, 31 July 2012
This review is from: The Doll Collection (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded The Doll collection when if was free and must say I'm very impressed. It really is an enjoyable and very satisfactory read.

For me, the storyline was quite chilling and I was completly drawn into it.

I haven't read the this author's work before, I must say she's an excellent writer.

A good, quick, easy read, I award this novel 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Doll Collection (Kindle Edition)
Wow what a book.this author is absolutely brilliant.when I put this book down.I. couldn't wait to pick it up. Definitely recommend this author. 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Doll Collection (Kindle Edition)
keeps you reading to find out does she or doesn't she .
some parts are horrible to read but a very good ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, highly original, 1 May 2013
This review is from: The Doll Collection (Paperback)
I have enjoyed 'The Doll Collection' very much. A very engaging read, highly original and written with a fine balance of tension and humour. While the story definitely examines in the darker side of human character and motivation, the narrative is delivered with flourish and style. Nice ending, it's good when things work out properly.

I've also read other books by this author and enjoyed them very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bunny Boiler, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Doll Collection (Paperback)
I read this book in two days. I found the suspence thrilling and Gloria was protrayed as a bunny boiler (they're out there). I found it easy to read and enjoyed the simplicity. Well done to the author for a very good read.

Linda Mather