5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read
Published on 8 July 2011 by Ms P. E. Vernon

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing!
This book brought back many memories to me of life in the 50s and 60s. I had anI Irish friend living in Cricklewood with whom I spent a great deal of time and so could relate to much of the story
Published 16 months ago by Mrs Margaret Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good read, 8 July 2011
Ms P. E. Vernon "Verns" (Weston-Super-Mare, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me And Mine (Paperback)
`Me and Mine' does what it says on the tin - it is a warm-hearted memoir of a family who, one by one, emigrated from rural Ireland to London in the 1950s. It was a time when landladies could, quite legally, advertise rooms to let with `NO DOGS, NO BLACKS, NO IRISH', yet still they came, swelling the building sites, pubs and dance-halls of London with their exuberance and zest for life.

Anna May Mangan paints a spot-on portrait of her family that perfectly captures the period. Her family members come to life through her witty writing and she doesn't pull her punches at all - she talks of her father's love of gardening and his petty thieving from his employers with equal affection and devastating honesty. This is no saccharine tale - life was tough for Irish immigrants, some of whom were barely literate, and the female members of her family had a particularly hard time of it. Not only did most of them marry feckless wastrels, but one by one they succumbed to cancer and neither Anna May nor her sister have been spared this particular genetic inheritance.

But if it was a malignant fairy who cursed the Mangan women with this cruel disease, two good fairies countered the curse by bestowing on them the gifts of humour and courage. It is these qualities that shine through the book and which, as much as the excellence of the writing, make it a cracking good read.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars me and mine, 13 Sep 2011
Philip Lawder (N W London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me And Mine (Paperback)
Anna May Mangan's writing whisks you from one episode to another on a breathless journey through her family. I felt as if I was sitting in a room with the doors being constantly flung open as one after another, her finely drawn relatives in all their splendour and contrariness, stormed in demanding tea or whiskey.
She relates a world that is probably now lost of unlocked doors, money in the teapot, large families that would support each other even if they couldn't stand the sight of each other, casual but plentiful work and the magic of the dance hall.
Her skill is to make this real, not a caricature, and she achieves this through her acute observation, her warmth and her great command of form and structure, so we travel with these people who are, like all of us, extraordinary in their ordinariness.
Worth reading as a social document but more enjoyable as a great tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!!!, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Me And Mine (Paperback)
This book is laugh out loud funny and heartbreakingly poignant. The author, Anna May Mangan tells the story of her family, warts and all, in a frank, sympathetic and often hillarious way. I love her 'voice' and reading this book was like sitting down with a friend and having a natter. She tells us about her vast extended family in a way I recognise and love. This book is a little gem and I hope to see more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Me And Mine (Paperback)
`Me and Mine' really captures the laughter, fun and deep sadness experienced by an Irish immigrant family. I felt the writer, Anna May Mangan was having a conversation with me over a glass of wine and telling me her family's story. The writer totally engages the reader in the lives of these hardworking, often incredible funny but then tragic people. With great one liners and poignant descriptions of intimate and heart wrenching moments she takes you on a journey through the history of a family you will recognise and come to love , with all their imperfections. If could be the Irish equivalent of Shameless. The writer tells how her family survives hardship and tragedy and then flourishes down the generations through a combination of luck, love and great humour. A fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Me & Mine" is a totally brilliant read...., 4 July 2011
This review is from: Me And Mine (Paperback)
Keep your tissues close by when you read this book as I GUARANTEE you will have cried with laughter and sobbed because you are so moved by the time you reach the end. Annamay Mangan is a talented writer and has described a wonderful family with hope at their centre.

It felt like Anna May was confiding in me on every page - I read some chapters twice, they were so poignant and yet witty too. 'Me and Mine' is nevert schmaltzy - she describes herself and her relatives and some of them are far from perfect, but somehow you love them all, warts and all. She is an amazing writer because she wrings your heart out time and again. Please make this book into a film as it's so, so fabulous and the words danced across the page -some sections made cry like a banshee and others howl with laughter - from page one, I was hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars a heartwarming read, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Me And Mine (Paperback)
This was a book, that made you both sad and happy, the writer had her fair share of trouble, but also a very loving supportive family. sometimes i found myself laughing out loud. I would love to read more of this author's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Me And Mine (Paperback)
I enjoy a good memoir, and this one of the best I've read. Warm, witty, moving and uplifting I was totally absorbed into the colourful lives of the author's relatives, arriving from rural Ireland as immigrants in the fifties. What a wonderful and loving tribute to the past. Beautifully written and hugely entertaining it was hard to put down. I felt oddly bereft but enormously satisfied when I'd finished, and couldn't stop thinking about my own family history and how strongly we're shaped by the past.

Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Me and Mine, 8 Sep 2011
This review is from: Me And Mine (Paperback)
Ordered this for a gift and the person loved it said it was a very enjoyable read.So I am very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars unputdownable, 7 Aug 2011
Dearest Anna,
Thank you for making me laugh out loud, cry, giggle and just revel in your sublime talent. I read Me and Mine in two days and from time to time will dip back in to refresh my enjoyment. A fabulous achievement.Lets have more from you soonest!!!
Mike D

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 13 July 2011
Janette Silverman (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me And Mine (Paperback)
This is a beautifully written book that had me laughing and crying in turns. Anna May Mangan has portrayed her family members with insight and honesty. Even though the book is about an Irish immigrant family and I have no Irish connections I could still utterly relate to it. Sometimes it felt as though she was writing about me and mine rather than her and hers. I particulary enjoyed the exchanges between Nan and Grandma. It is interesting how the stories often move backwards and forwards in time giving it a fluidity. It struck me that this somehow mirrored the family members moving in and out of one another's homes and lives. The love the author feels for them is evident but she never becomes mawkish or over-sentimental. I would highly recommend this book; it is very entertaining and affecting. Although amongst the humorous stories there are many heart-breaking ones, I was left with a warm optimistic glow.