5.0 out of 5 stars What an Adventure!, 22 Mar 2012
This review is from: Smugglers at Whistling Sands (Lou Elliott Mystery Adventures Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic story! As said before, shades of the great Enid Blyton here - like Enid? You'll love this book! It also cleverly shows how mobile phones and the internet don't alter the danger much - clever ways round always being able to phone the police! I loved the character development, and after a few pages I became attached to them. Really good, and I also hope for several sequels! Mind you, you've a long way to go to catch up with Enid Blyton! A great story in its own right and suitable for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent characterisation, 3 Mar 2012
A really well-written book, past paced with excellent characterisation. It has echoes of Enid Blyton's holiday adventures, certainly, but is still wholly original. And just as Blyton was famous for her sequels, so please let's have a follow-up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting story, 25 May 2012
Well, what an enchanting story, this book took me back to the days of Enid Blyton!
A real feel good factor book beautifully written capturing all the excitement of children on holiday on an adventure!
My ten year old is now fascinated with it, thank you George for rekindling some of my child hood memories

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading., 18 Aug 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Loved the fact that the places were real - a real must for visiting. Bonded nicely with the characters and hope that George writes many more adventures with them. Eagerly waiting!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wayne Pyer, 8 May 2012
What a wonderful read. Fast paced, emotional, dangerous and exciting, this book quickly makes you care for the characters immediately without being patronising. This book brings back memories of the greatest storyteller, Enid Blyton, in modern times, without ruining the tension with modern technology. Highly recommended. Please, please, please, can we have a sequel soon?

5.0 out of 5 stars really good!, 1 Sep 2012
I really enjoyed this book, I felt like I was Jack as we have quite a lot in common. It was a story perfect for anyone who loves adventure and myseries. As I'm sure many other people have mentioned it was alot like Enid Blyton's books, so that was good. And also the way it was wrote really makes you feel like you're really there. go on read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly recommended read..., 21 Aug 2011
the reviewer (Leigh, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I was pleased to stumble across this book because I am fan of both Enid Blyton and this beautiful part of North Wales. As such, I was hoping for great things and I wasn't disappointed.

The text clearly pays homage to Blyton in the overall premise and the way the book is structured - for example the three children befriending the "wild child" whilst away from their natural location during the school holidays. But I never felt that the story was simply derivative in nature and it stands on its own merits.

The story doesn't try to be too clever and is straightforward enough for most children aged roughly 8-10 to master by themselves as well as read with mum or dad. Infact I can see many parents enjoying reading this book from a nostalgic viewpoint and will find it very suitable for children who are not ready to grapple with the likes of Rowling and Pullman - this is much gentler, more wholesome fare.

Like most independently published works, there are a few passages which would benefit from a bit of polish, but nothing that would detract from the overall impression you get. As a writer myself I might be a little bit over sensitive to little things that the casual reader wouldn't notice - who knows?

The pacing of the story is good and keeps the pages turning - infact there is probably potential to add 5 or 10,000 words to the story to add in more detail - there were a couple of places where the text passed over certain things quite quickly. Still, I suppose it is good to leave people wanting more. The story is certainly more plot focused than character focused, but I suppose that probably reflects the young target reading age.

The text is successful in painting a vivid picture of the local landscape and I suspect the local tourist board will want to make use of it as publicity material!

I think this represents fantastic value for money and well worth taking a "risk" on - I am glad I did.

The only remaining question in my mind is whether the author is intending to make a series using these characters - it would be good to see these characters develop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly written book, kept me gripped til the last page !!, 28 Dec 2013
I bought this book as I was browsing through Amazon and I like to read new authors. Smugglers at Whistling Sands is a roller coaster of a novel, in the style of Enid Blyton's famous five series. It is just as good, in my opinion. I also know Abersoch very well so enjoyed the "local" aspects of the story. The author cleverly keeps you captivated at the end of each chapter, willing you; in fact imploring you to carry on reading. It is incredibly hard to put down. For a first book by the author in this series I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes adventure stories. Children will enjoy the adventure, the bravery and the mystery. Adults alike will enjoy the excellent writing and the gripping storyline as well as the enchanting characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blytonesque, 8 Nov 2013
D.L.EDWARDS (LEEDS, YORKSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Obviously all these types of books have a strong nod to Enid Blyton and also Helen Moss who seems to have picked up the baton
but thankfully devoid of Blyton's prejudices.
This book was a good read with the usual strong female lead. Lou and David were well rounded characters - the other two being
merely supporting ones. It didn't deviate from the usual smugglers/children adventures and didn't have the detection theme of
Helen Moss stories but it was well written and didn't cost nearly as much-recommended and will read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 15 July 2013
This is an amazing book and I'm going to read the whole series of the book. Go George Chedzoy. This book will bring excitement to the whole family.