5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless comedy
Published on 24 July 2011 by A. Moncrieff

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright and hugely colourful zany comedy.
Published on 19 Nov 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless comedy, 24 July 2011
A. Moncrieff (up your a s s) - See all my reviews
A film that's sidesplitting, gentle and yet exciting and dreamlike...There are not enough children's films like this. I feel sorry for children today, growing up with Spy Kids and Harry Potter with their tedious empowerment fantasies and whining. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure will spellbind everyone but the most cynical and idiotic with it's instantly engaging story and characters: names of characters such as Dottie (in love with Pee-Wee Herman), Francis Buxton (pronounced BUCKS - TONNE) and Simone (she wants to go to France) tell you all you need to know about the characters.
The film, in fact, feels like a fourth or fifth in a series with self-evident characters and a huge emphasis on the surreal and inexplicable (some intentional - the way Pee-Wee gains enterance to the Buxton house, some not - the remnants of Amazing Larry's role in the film), which only enhances the films value for repeat viewers. I am totally in love with the world of this film and you will be too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright and hugely colourful zany comedy., 19 Nov 2000
By A Customer
You really need to be in the right mood to fully enjoy and appreciate the qualities of this film, Burton's first feature as director following his tour of duty as a Disney animator. His film-making apprenticeship is certainly reflected in this debut outing, a bright and hugely colourful zany comedy made in the style of a feature cartoon. Some of the set-pieces are truly original and brimming with vitality and off-beat humour. But you have to be at ease with the character of the eponymous hero, a grown-up body encompassing the soul and behaviour of a ten-year old, and an exaggerated ten-year old at that. Clearly there was sufficient interest in the character created by Reubens ...to spawn a sequel, "Big Top Pee-Wee". If you are unable to assimilate his creation into your sympathy, his adventures become galling as a result of his very screen presence and it is likely that the visual delights of the film will be lost to you. However, if you can accept Pee-Wee into your heart, you will be able to enjoy a hugely entertaining, at times very funny, and certainly very original picture bathed in a vividness and colourfulness which contrasts so markedly with the same director's "Batman", only four years later.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very funny, exciting and beautifully styled film., 16 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This is much more than a story about a 'boy' who loses his favourite possesion - his bike - and goes on a desperate quest to retrieve it. As with all early Pee-Wee Herman work, it has an energetic, imaginative approach with a comically infantile yet twisted feel to the humour, which is blatently meant to appeal to adults. This is most certainly the best of the two Pee-Wee Herman films.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pee wee Herman, 16 April 2014
Great film, it's one of my favourites comedies and please can this be on UK format because nobody in the UK knows Pee wee Herman is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Favourite!, 26 Feb 2011
J. Green (UK) - See all my reviews
When we were kids, me and my sister and my mum and stepdad used to watch this film quite a lot. We loved it - so many quotable lines and classic moments (think the biker bar scene!).
Now I've got a family of my own (albeit my missus's children), I've bought this to keep the younger ones entertained on a rainy day. And boy did they love it! All the moments that I loved as a kid suddenly came back, and the girls loved them too!
The extras on the DVD are great, we watched them - especially the Amazing Larry hair sequence, which we all agreed should have been left in.
Well worth a purchase - classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pee wee Herman rocks!!, 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: Pee Wee's Big Adventure (DVD)
Have watched this lots of times and I'm always laughing my head off! So glad I paid the extra cash to get this version (Spanish with English audio option) as opposed to waiting for the uk release!!

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, 11 Feb 2008
i have wanted this movie for an age as i am a massive tim burton fan i was concerned at first that i wouldnt like this movie cause when i was a kid didn't really like pee wee but now as an adult can see the adult humur in it. this film is beautiful as is every single burton movie you can really see his craft in this movie even though it was his first feature film an alround great family film my kids love it since we bought it have had it on at least ten times and weve only had it a week and there is stuff that is funny tenth time round well recomend getting this for you and or your family it is a lost treasure and every burton fan needs this in there collection

5.0 out of 5 stars very weird, very funny, 22 Aug 2010
Lisa Bird (EK UK) - See all my reviews
Bought for my partner,very silly, very funny, particularly Pee Wee doing the 'Tequila' dance in the biker bar, genius! Recommended

2.0 out of 5 stars Pee-Wee's Big Adventure., 10 Mar 2013
A. Cooke - See all my reviews
I bought this (reg one) for our Grandkids to watch out our home. However the Guy (Paul) who played this character I found out by my son (21) He pointed out the actors somewhat Dark past history on Utube. However I had bought the DVD...so my wife said you might as well play it. But after ten minutes of watching the film - it got on her nerves concerning the characters stupidity. I asked my daughter if she minded the Grand Kids watching it - in view of everything I'd pointed out - she said it was OK. So I don't know what they'll make of it - they may like it (ages 4 and 5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have been much better without Pee-wee, 14 Feb 2008
5 stars to the movie and Tim Burton
5 (better 6 or 7) stars to Danny Elfman for the score
minus 5 to the highly irritating main character

But - the greatests thing about that disk - in Features there is an option to see the movie WITHOUT the dialogue, only the score and some brief commentaries made by Danny Elfman's beautiful voice. Believe me, this is the best way to watch that movie.

ARRAY(0xab56f594)