5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs a MacBook Pro now?
I reviewed the latest 13" MacBook Pro shortly after it came out in February of this year and pronounced it the best 13" notebook computer money could buy. Well, its reign at the top was short-lived and the time has come to hand over its crown to its younger brother, the latest 13" MacBook Air.

Using Intel's advanced Core i5 and i7 Sandy Bridge processors the...
Published on 26 Sep 2011 by Nick D.

1.0 out of 5 stars great product - apple sometimes don't care - beware
Great operating system, wide touch pad and speedy boot up times - you'll definitely enjoy using this computer...
Published on 19 April 2012 by ravster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs a MacBook Pro now?, 26 Sep 2011

Using Intel's advanced Core i5 and i7 Sandy Bridge processors the new Air is incredibly powerful. These chips give it more than enough horsepower to comfortably outclass anything other than the early 2011 MacBook Pros. With Solid State Drives, the perceived speed of the new Air is faster than the MacBook Pro. Boot times are lightning fast. The Air only lacks power when asked to perform resource hungry work like digital editing. For all routine tasks, the latest Air demolishes my previous 2010 13" MacBook Pro. It's fair to say that it is all the computer that 99.9% of users will ever need.

Despite all this power, it doesn't get too hot. All in all, it is very easy and comfortable to use. Hard core gamers may bemoan the lack of a discrete graphics processor, but the inbuilt Intel GPU is perfectly adequate and it is certainly no worse than the previous generation of MacBook Pro which was a respectable gaming platform. Call of Duty 4 and Civilization V can both be played without enduring intolerably slow polygonal rendering. Screen quality is excellent.

The 13" Air runs MS Office flawlessly. It's great for surfing the web, watching movies, managing pictures in iPhoto and video chatting. The way in which you can perch it on your lap while sitting on a sofa makes it ideal for writing, reviewing email and doing countless other stuff in a relaxed way. It really makes you wonder why all computers aren't built this way. Since the form factor hasn't changed since 2010, suffice it to say that the Air's ergonomics are peerless.

There are two downsides. One is that the hard disk is only 256 GB in size. I think the minimum acceptable size is now 500 GB and ideally 1 TB or 2 TB. If you own a lot of media, this machine may run out of memory quite quickly. I am very surprised that Apple hasn't made a 500 GB SSD available as BTO upgrade for the Air as it has for the 13" MacBook Pro. I guess this is due to cost.

The other problem is that battery life seems less than the late 2010 model, I got 7 rather than 8 or 9 hours. This is a disappointment, but isn't a deal-breaker. You expect a certain loss in battery life when you get a much more capable chip.

In short, this is a truly great personal computer. It marks the fact that we've now reached a point in time where processor power is no longer dependent on chip size. The latest processors are capable of being squeezed into the thinnest enclosures, allowing small and light machines to perform tasks that only a few short years ago would have required a slab of plastic and metal weighing almost 10 lb. This is progress.

The OSX 10.7 Lion operating system is a work of genius. Launch Control, which enables you to review and launch all Apps via a single click, is a very clever refinement. So too is Mission Control, which replaces Expose and allows you to wade through a mass of open windows and applications to find the one you need. Lion also comes with a new Apple email programme which works well. In Safari, I like the way you can now slide pages with your fingers just as if you were turning pages in a book. Nice touch. Hundreds of other interface tweaks make this a no-brainer upgrade.

I'd go as far as to say that the latest 13" Air is so good, it makes the 13" MacBook Pro redundant. It is definitely the benchmark for future systems to beat. When you get as much power in a machine this slim, the incremental power you get in a 13" MacBook Pro doesn't seem worth it toting around in a machine that weighs so much more.

If you need a new machine now, this is undoubtedly the one to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever laptop/netbook, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Apple 13 inch MacBook Air (Dual-Core i5,1.7GHz,4GB,128GB Flash,HD Graphics) (Personal Computers)
This is without doubt the best laptop/netbook money can by, if you ever wondered how good these are then buy one and you wont be dissapointed ! ok it is a pricey piece of kit but you get what you pay for. i previously bought an imac 27" and was so impressed with it, it made me want to ditch my windows laptop and get a macbook air.the macbook air is up and ready in 15 seconds and it turns off in less than a second, you dont even know you are holding it it is so light and i have photoshop cs5 running on it as good as my 27" imac. theres no waiting for things to happen like with windows. if you take the plunge and buy one you will never go back to a windows pc. also buy the way it lasts for over 7 hours on a charge and then it doesnt take that long to fully recharge it. basically the macbook air is just superb in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST EVER LAPTOP!!!, 27 Mar 2012
After using windows all my life I thought it was time to ditch windows 7 and give apple a try. I bought the MacBook Air 13 from a shop, when I saw how sleek and slim it was and how light it was I knew right then I had to have it. After using Dell Inspirion 15 it was a relief to have something so much lighter and tasteful as this laptop. I was also told that it was not necessary to have anti-virus software installed. at the moment I'm not using anti-virus software however, I will be installing one shortly as it is better to be safer that sorry especially when you spend a small fortune on this laptop. You also want to be protected by malware and fraud since this is more likely to happen than getting a virus.

I was considering getting the MacBook Air 11 inch but when I viewed them in the shop and lifted them up to see how heavy it was, there was very little difference between the two. Also there was only a £100 differences between the 11 inch and 13 inch. So in the end I got the 13 inch MacBook Air as it is always better having more of a screen especially since there was no big difference in price.

Another positive is the battery life. Up to 7 hours is pretty amazing compared to the 1 hour I only got from my dell laptop. But an even bigger surprise was that the battery on the MacBook Air 13 not only lasts up to 7 hours but can last up 11 HOURS!!! Truly amazing! I don't know if this is normal for all MacBooks but this is the case for me.

The processing speed is great and much faster than another laptops I used to use with clear, colourful screen. The Lion operating system is certainly the best operating system I have ever experienced. It is easy and simple to use and understand unlike window (In my opinion).

The laptop itself does not make a sound! It is absolutely silent. No fan sounds or hard drive sounds at all. After using my Dell which makes a lot of noise it is a relief. The MacBook Air does not over heat like other laptops.

And let's not forget to mention the back lit keyboard! This was a main reason why I was considering getting the MacBook Air. It is very handy to have a back lit when typing especially if your environment is dim or just for ease of seeing the keyboard and the individual keys.

The power adapter is small, fairly light in comparison to other laptops and sleek to look at. The bit that you plug into the laptop has magnet on it so there is no struggling in trying to plug it or find where the socket is, especially when it is dim and less likely hood of it to break. Beware though if you have a pet that has a tendency to chew wires that you keep the power adapter in a safe place as the wire is thin and easy to chew into. I have cat that likes to chew anything and I have learnt by past experience to keep everything out of reach from her.

The microsoft office for apple is something you need to get additionally as it does not come already installed. The price was fare and it's actually really good, with it comes many templates. For example you can have a letter template with word and many different cool and professional templates for presentations.

with the light weight, small, slim and sleek design along with the long lasting battery with a certain 7 hours and with my laptop 11 hours makes this the perfect laptop for a student such as my self. I won't have to worry about how heavy it is and banging it about on public transport and can leave my power adapter at home.

I wish I had gotten a MacBook long ago instead of the Dell. I love my new laptop and I'm never exchanging it for anything else!

It is 100% worth buying! I would recommend to anybody.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best laptop I've ever used, but there are some niggles, 20 May 2012
I agree with most of what's said in the 5 star reviews here, so I won't bother repeating everything.

Good:
+ Very light and easy to handle

+ Good screen

+ Excellent track pad - I didn't think I'd like the new way of scrolling in Lion, but after a few hours there was no going back. I hate using other laptops now!

+ Excellent battery life - typically over 5 hours working with xcode / browsing the web etc

+ I like the magnetic power connector

+ Quiet (but not totally silent - there's a small fan)

+ Fast. Generally, the fast solid state drive more than makes up for the slightly slower processor.

Bad:
- The super-thin metal case is slightly sharp at the front, near the trackpad.

- The apple logo on the back lets ambient light through to the screen, so sometimes you can see the apple logo!
However, this is almost never a problem in practice.

- WiFi does not always connect at start-up or out of sleep - hence 4 stars.
I have to switch WiFi on and off 5-10 times sometimes.
Apple support couldn't fix it and told me I needed to reinstall the operating system - on a brand new machine!
I'm not prepared to do that, as I don't believe it will help.
I believe it's bug in the driver. Searching the web shows I'm not alone with this problem.
(I have 6 other devices that use my WiFi without problems.)

I'd still recommend it to anyone though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Macbook i've used to date, 12 Aug 2011
Length:: 7:19 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, why didn't I switch to a Macbook earlier, 30 Jan 2013
Yes, the MBA is rather expensive to purchase, but my oh my is it worth every penny. I purchased the 13" MBA, mainly because the keyboard is excellent for a touch typist like me. Such a joy to use, in fact because of its very quick start up and boot up time and shut down time I use it like I do my iPad, i.e. just pick it up, open the lid and its instantly ready to use. For instance I am cooking, need to look at a recipe, just grab the MBA, flip open the lid (I rarely do a complete shut down) and I can surf instantly. This convenience alone makes me use it much more than my old lap top, so in fact in terms of value for money one could argue that the MBA is cheaper per hour of use, since you use it a lot more! Another example, I am surfing in bed, need to put it down to go for a couple of minutes to use the loo for example, just flip the lid closed, leave it on the bed, comeback, flip the lid open and you're straight back in, even if say I am watching a you tube video. With my old laptop, it would be really hot, fan would be running so you can't leave it on the bed (it would overheat), you have to leave it open, which wastes valuable battery life, it is just not so convenient.

Of course the apple OS compared to windows is a joy, but takes getting used to when coming from windows. I have had some compatibility problems with my ACER projector even with an adapter and also with a Network drive, and with some .AVI files with quicktime, but if look enough on the internet forums there inevitably is a solution or work around. Of course all peripherals for macs such as connectors are so, so expensive, but this is typical of the mac world.

All in all, it is a pleasure to use and as previous reviewers had said, so well engineered, light, silent, hardly generates any heat (unlike my other laptop which would get so hot and loud you couldn't put it on your lap).

It is so good, I bought another one for my wife and will never buy anything other than Apple Macbooks in the future.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple mac air, 26 July 2012
First venture with Apple laptop. Very easy to set up and use. Much quicker than windows to start up and close down. Should have made the change long ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best laptop I've owned, 28 Jan 2012
S. Dave (London, England) - See all my reviews
I've had numerous laptops from Dell to Sony and in the last few years an Apple MacBook Pro 17" (Home) and 15" (Work). This little MacBook Air beats them all. I upgraded to the i7 processor, it's amazingly fast and plugs into my 23" Monitor to become a full desktop. I run Adobe Creative Suite with no lags or problems.

The only downside is you'll need separate adapters to connect to a standard DVI monitor and ethernet. Also I recommend a decent case as it feels delicate and you'll want to protect it (I bought an LArobe sleeve http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0019GMLOW).

1.0 out of 5 stars great product - apple sometimes don't care - beware, 19 April 2012
I had to purchase my second MBA (Mid 2011 model) from Amazon, due to the first developing a thermal fault on the polymer that the screen is made from - apple warranty doesn't cover this, and the apple senior tech will claim that such cracking is cause by "user torsion" - so it's pot luck on this item, generally over 99.9% of the MacBooks should be OK as the googling the term "Macbook air screen crack" only results in a handful of users reporting the same problem on the Apple forums. I've repurchased to replace a present and make a claim from my credit card company under the "sale of goods act" as I bought directly from the apple store the first time round. I was rather disappointed with Apple service based in Cork, Ireland on numerous occasions for the screen issue. You'll probably feel safer purchasing this item from Amazon due to the excellent customer service you will get if you do get such a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple Macbook Air, 17 Jun 2012
Ronald Mcewan (UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent laptop. Got it at a knock-down price as it supposedly had minor blemishes on the outer casing. When it arrived the only mark on it was a small mark the size of a needle-point on an edge of the casing. It took me quite some time to actually find it. The thing fired up without problem and I have been using it ever since. The hardware and software all work perfectly. Due to what I actually paid for this, it was a great buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›