4.0 out of 5 stars First Mac... but will not be my last!!
I am not going to go into any technical details as there are a whole host of reviews that can be uncovered by a simple google search, instead I want to concentrate more on the "feel" of the Air

Published on 2 Nov 2011 by Smithy

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes two steps forward, two steps back...
Published on 5 Aug 2012 by 23 Daves

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars First Mac... but will not be my last!!, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: Apple 11 inch MacBook Air (Dual-Core i5,1.6GHz,4GB,128GB Flash,HD Graphics) (Personal Computers)

First impressions are... wow. I had tested one in the Apple store several times, but it is hard to appreciate its size and portability until you own one. I seem to find myself randomly picking it u just to spin it round and marvel at it's size and weight. If any thing it is a little too portable, I took it out for the first time on Thursday, and couldn't even tell it was in my bag. So much so that my paranoia of protecting my shiny new toy kicked in and I found myself opening my bag every five minutes to check I had not been pick pocketed. Hopefully this paranoia will wear off after a few weeks.

Aa a previous Windows fan and Windows 7 user I was a little sceptical about swithching to a mac and not too sure how hard it would be to adapt to using a new operating system. A few days of messing around have proved my fears were unjustified and I have actually enjoyed and still am enjoying the learning curve, infact after only two days of using my Macbook Air I logged back onto my Windows PC and found that I kept trying to use multi-touch which is a part of the new Lion OS.

The model I purchased was the upgraded 1.8Ghz i7 with a 128Gb Hard drive and 4Gb Ram, and compared to my 2 year old 2.13 Ghz dual core Windows laptop this feels a lot faster and more polished. The size of the hard drive was a concern coming from a larger 3.5 inch SATA styl hard drive, however this is easily remedied by keeping most of my videos and music on a small and inexpensive (80 for 1Tb) external hard drive.

The only issue I have encountered so far is moving my music collections into i-tunes, however this is only because I was stupid enough to have ripped my entire CD collection originally using WMA lossless which has DRM copyright protection in place so it cannot be converted or transferred.

I still have nothing ut positives for the new Air, and I think I will have no issues with it becoming my sole PC. There have been two commen issues raised on forums and in reviews, firstly some people have stated that the fans are really noisy, so far I have not had an issue with this, and when running alongside my laptop with the same programs running it is actually a lot quieter. The second concern people have raised is the issue of overheating, as I am typing this with the Mac Air on my lap it is slightly warm to the touch, but no more so than any other electrical device I have used and it has only ever gotten hot under prolonged use like running Football Manager 2011 for hours.

I could not recommend this highly enough as long as you are sure that an 11' laptop is the right choice for you, if you are considering purchasing one then please feel free to post any comments and I will get back to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars style personified, 9 May 2012
i haven't had a new computer for 6 years and finally decided to get upto date as I needed a laptop for taking on board a boat. my daughter has one of these and recommended it, so I took the plunge and bought one. I have only been using it for a few days but already love the ease of usage for an oldie like me. A bit more practise and I'm sure I will be fine. It will slip into a bag easily for travelling too and I bought a cover for it for protection. It does everything I want it to do (which isn't alot to be honest)and so hope for many years of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the future of laptops, 16 Aug 2011
I love the solid state (flash) memory on this machine. Everything is so fast. Make sure you buy Apple Care - it's worth it.

Be careful when using it in public. It is attractive to thieves and muggers.

You may be interested to know that Adobe Flash isn't pre-installed on the MacBook Air now. I'd advise against it - it's a huge battery and resource hog. You can use Chrome, which has Flash built-in and auto-updates. For things like YouTube, there are some excellent apps like Minitube, which allow H264 playback, which works like a dream.

I had expected only 2GB of RAM to feel rather anemic. It super-snappy, I'm delighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding power and battery life for such a small machine, 27 Aug 2011
keribillen (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Bought mine with a 1.8GHz i7 processor and a USB-ethernet adapter.

I wanted it as a more portable replacement for my MacBook Pro (http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1KFGLEUYPRBEQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm). I have been travelling a lot recently, and the heavy MacBook Pro was becoming a real pain to carry around.
Furthermore, Apple also recently released a quad-core MacMini (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Server-Quad-Core-2-0GHz-Graphics/dp/B005EMLP2Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1314435357&sr=1-3), so I also bought one of these for the heavy-duty processing I used to do with the MacBook Pro.

I am very pleased I made these changes. The MacBook Air's speed for everyday tasks is actually faster than the MacBook Pro's....thanks to the SSD I reckon.

The smaller, lighter casing is also more robust (and therefore more portable) than the MacBook Pro's.
It is also quieter (no hard disk).
Its wifi performance in my office is just as good.
The processing power of this machine is a nice surprise: it scored 582 at Novabench ([...] which is very impressive.
Its power, battery life and portability make the iPad somewhat less useful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little powerhouse, that could do with a little more battery life, 19 May 2012
The usual high quality and sleek design is paired with a surprisingly powerful little i5 processor. Lion is good, screen is brilliant, memory is enough. The 128Gb SSD might feel small, but is perfect for this form factor.

The only drawback is the reduced battery life compared to the MacBook Pro or even the 13 inch model. This is despite the smaller screen. Under normal condition with Wifi enabled and mid brightness, it will last for about 3-5 hours max. This will only affect you seriously if you travel much. Charge time is around 1.5-2 hrs normally.

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes two steps forward, two steps back..., 5 Aug 2012
I've been a keen Apple user since 1994 now, and I don't consider myself to be a particularly technically minded person - in other words, I feel that I am the core audience (no pun intended) for the company. I don't want to worry about the specifics of the interface, what I want is to be able to plug a computer in, feel that its OS system is speedy, intuitive and has the flexibility to be a bit personal to my requirements, and not worry. Apple have continually succeeded in giving me what I want in this respect for a long time. No viruses, no complications, just years of pleasurable use.

First things first. This MacBook Air is visually marvellous. When it first arrived my wife signed for it, and at first thought that no computer had arrived. The package seemed to contain nothing in particular, and felt like the weight of the average user manual rather than a computer itself. It's so lightweight it weighs less than an actual physical 100 page A4 notebook, and looks as beautifully designed as you'd expect. Despite its size, the keyboard feels easy to use and the screen has an incredibly sharp definition - this is everything you'd expect from Apple. On top of that, I noticed as soon as I switched this machine on that the absence of a hard drive and the machine's saving to EPRAM chips makes it incredibly speedy. On the basics, the machine really cannot be faulted.

The problems began when I tried to transfer my applications and files over from my admittedly rather old (and temperamental) MacBook. The manual assured me I could use the old computer as a slave drive and simply port everything across, which seemed like an elegant solution. But did it work? Well, no. The ethernet failed to recognise the apparently up-to-date software on the machine and when I went across to an Apple store to get everything checked over, I was told that the old 2006 model was simply too dated for my new laptop to recognise. I realise that six years is a long time in personal computing, but still, the Apple of old would have allowed for some functionality in this respect. In the end I managed to port everything with the aid of a flash drive and a bit of patience, and the new MacBook Air did do a lot of the work for me (iTunes seems to have become a lot more flexible when it comes to shifting playlists across, which is a huge relief and massive timesaver). Still, it felt marginally disappointing to have to resort to these methods. I'm not made of money, and I just don't have the cash to upgrade to a new Apple computer every couple of years - it's been a habit of mine to hang on to them for as long as is practical. They're generally excellent machines which withstand a lot of wear, so it is perfectly possible to do this if you don't want to have to worry about spending a cool 800-900 (minimum) on a regular basis. However, this is the first time I've been penalised for the age of my previous system during a port-across.

The next thing I noticed was that this particular MacBook has no option at all to line-in audio. Given that my previous MacBook had been capable of ripping vinyl to programs like Audacity - and had done a brilliant job of it despite the absence of the kind of peripherals you'd have to own if you were a PC user - this has proved a massive disappointment. I have a huge vinyl collection of records which are utterly unavailable in digital format, and this option was an important aspect of being a Mac user for me. The MacBook I owned was, despite its age, capable of producing superb reproductions of my singles and LP collection without any fuss, whereas this one doesn't bother to offer any line-in option at all. If a fantastic feature was so readily available in the past, why take it away now for the newer machines? Is the purpose of Apple not to constantly push forwards rather than slowly edge backwards?

In nearly twenty years this is the first Apple machine I've bought that feels like a slight disappointment. It has some admittedly wonderful elements, to the extent that I almost feel churlish complaining, but it also seems clear that Apple are resorting to the kinds of business practices you'd expect of bog-standard PC manufacturers these days. The next time I have to buy a machine, I may take one look at my bank balance, a far closer look at the machines on offer, and opt for a cheap and cheerful PC with peripherals attached. Apple really need to start being careful about taking options away from their users or penalising their poorer customers - a lot of us work in creative fields where scrimping and saving can be a part of life, and when we fork out high amounts of money for new systems, we don't expect any loss in functionality.

Oh, and yes - the machine does not come with a CD/ DVD drive either. Since it's just a notebook machine you shouldn't really expect this anyway, but it's worth highlighting this in case that detail slipped your attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thing of Beauty, 6 Jan 2013
Aesthetically beautiful and functionally perfect. Portable and graphically stunning, lightning performance. Expensive but I expect a long life from this product

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant computer, 16 Jun 2012
This is my first Mac I have ever owned, I've played on them occasionally in the past whilst walking past Apple before but I am a complete newbie with them, but wow. Ease of use is what I have to say. It is so so easy to use, so quick to pick up on all the new techniques and it is ridiculously fast at performing tasks. The one I have is the brand new one announced at Apples WWDC 2012, it has 4GB RAM, 64GB Flash Storage and Intel i5 1.7GHz Processor with something called Turbo Boost. There are so many nice little touches with this machine, such as backlit keyboards, a small and long wire plug for the power cable which is also magnetic to avoid any drops or slides if the wire is pulled.
All in all it's a great piece of kit, highly recommended; 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought one from the Apple Store, 4 Jun 2012
Very good product, if you can please buy one new or second hand you will be impressed with its performance and style. It was a bit hard to understand at first but you get to understand it because it is different from Microsoft and very fast in opening up, pages and apps are it is easy to download apps and nice also to look at the apps also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Macbook Air 11in, 27 May 2012
A fabulous product which is as fast as the Macbook Pro I wanted to replace. Half the hertz rating and just as fast. Light, convenient to use when travelling and because I used a time Machine backup to set up the new Mac it is just the same and I achieved it in a couple of hours.
Fabulous machine and worth every penny.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›