5.0 out of 5 stars A must for your English Usage!
I have read plenty of books on English usage but this is definitely one of the best. The descriptions and explanations are really easy to understand and there are 'rules' of English that I had forgotten until I read this book.

First Class and the content is truly informative.
Published on 24 May 2011 by Arlene Spragg

3.0 out of 5 stars King Canute's English...?
My son gave me this book for my birthday and, having read it with interest, I can see why it polarises opinions.

Published 16 months ago by A. J. Marshall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for your English Usage!, 24 May 2011

First Class and the content is truly informative.

4.0 out of 5 stars How can a book provoke so many rants?, 10 Dec. 2011
I note the low scoring reviews of this book are promoting the 'anti-queen's English society' which seems to be an organisation which confuses the need for clear communication with some out-dated desire to free the English working classes from their long-lost bonds.

It is regrettable that the result of their 'natural evolution' of language can be seen on any internet news 'comment page' or blog where countless people demonstrate that they neither know nor care about the difference between, for example; their and there and they're or its and it's or soul and sole etc etc.

These different terms evolved precisely because the difference in their meanings and usage IS important - otherwise communication becomes confusing and inefficient.

Thank goodness for books such as this which serve to remind people of how to communicate correctly.

Frankly I can't understand how people can get so wound up about a book on grammar (or grammer as it is more commonly called nowadays).

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics - and beyond, 3 Jan. 2011
Norman Bishop (Aby, near Norrköping, Sweden) - See all my reviews
A useful book for those wanting to improve their English or those teaching it. It deals simply and straighforwardly with some of the basic problems in learning good English but does not stop there. It leads the reader on to some of the more advanced knowledge that leads to better understanding, better speaking and better writing of English. I am making use of this book in my own study circle for Swedes wanting to maintain and also to improve their use of English. Well worth the money ...

Norman Bishop

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-Fiction, 3 April 2011
Mr. G. Johns "Master Mason 6407" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book is excellent for people who wish to be able to speak English correctly; and as a book to keep on the shelf to dip into, then, in my humble opinion, it is really good. It is sad that the English language is constantly being eroded by the influences of the Americans, 'Text Speak', and regional short cuts, etc. A must for all people who, like myself, are very pedantic. Why should I not be? My employment is as a copywriter and proof reader - which is the ideal role for an English Language Pedant!

3.0 out of 5 stars King Canute's English...?, 30 Dec. 2013
A. J. Marshall (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews

You will probably like this book if: you are looking for a relatively easy-going 'rough guide' to English grammar; you believe that dictionaries are there to preserve the meanings of words, rather than to reflect their changing meanings; you accept that someone with the title of 'President of the Queen's English Society' is bound to come across as slightly superior from time to time and you don't allow this to influence your enjoyment of the book.

You will probably hate this book if: you think dictionaries are there to describe the meaning of words, rather than to dictate their meaning; you believe that language is an evolving medium of communication and should not be subject to 'rules'; and you take exception to the title, whether of the book or the author (in which case, you'd probably better not buy the book).

Personally I have a foot in both camps when it comes to dictionaries and language in general: I sympathise with the author's desires to (a) maintain language as a clear and concise medium of communication - which naturally requires a degree of standardisation, so that, for example, anyone in the country can tune in to the BBC and understand what the presenter is talking about; and (b) to try to preserve the meanings of words in order to help future generations understand a bit about us when they carry out historical research. And, like most people, I have my 'pet hates', when I hear certain words used in a way that I find irritating (whether because it's the 'wrong' usage or pedantic adherence to the 'right' usage).

However, I regard language as a tool for communication, to be adjusted and improved to suit that purpose; and I don't accept the basic premise of the book (stated on the very first page) that we need 'the right words and the ability to use them in coherent sentences' in order to be able to have particular conscious thoughts: if it's possible for people all over the world to have those same thoughts, but expressed in very different languages and/or dialects, then clearly the 'right words' are not necessary when it comes to thinking; and I'm sure that, on occasions, the words floating around in our heads can actually impede abstract and expansive thought.

I also find the inevitable jargon (subordinate clauses, relative pronouns etc.) in such books a bit distracting - a bit like being taught art by someone who insists that it's necessary to be able to name the chemical components of the paints you are using. I'm certain there are many great communicators who couldn't tell you what these terms mean, but nonetheless use the English language extremely well. Helpfully, the 'jargon words' are in bold type, so you can spot them and skip quickly over these bits if you wish.

As regards being talked down to, in his own words the author is 'wrong, wrong, wrong!' to assert (page 93) that 'I met up with him' means precisely the same as 'I met him': evidently he has not observed that 'I met up with him' provides valuable additional information, namely (a) that the meeting was more than likely pre-arranged and (b) that it was almost certainly not the first time of meeting him. Could it be that, so determined is Mr Lamb to act as King Canute and stem the tide of language advance, he risks becoming deaf to those inevitable advancements?

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT BOOK - RECOMMENDED, 4 Dec. 2010
This was bought for a friend to give to a friend so I can only pass on their views. It is an excellent book for anyone who loves the English language and wants to learn more about it and how to use it properly. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute little book!, 11 May 2012
Ms. L. C. Rose "fbi_agent_danascully" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Queen's English: And How to Use It (Kindle Edition)
Looking to put a few items onto my Kindle, I came across this book in the Education section. As an aspiring English teacher, and reading the reviews, it seemed like a great little find! I'm only about 20 pages in and have not been disappointed! Witty and well written (not surprisingly!), the book offers an insight into "proper" english and confirms that it's not all clipped vowels and "my husband and I" English, but the language that we speak and write is in fact correct for the most part, but amusingly brings to light those instances where people get it so very wrong. Entertaining and engaging, I look forward to finishing the rest of the book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, 21 Feb. 2011
I found thie book to be very useful. English is my first language but like most people, I am not sure about some of the uses of some punctuation - what is a semi colan for?? This book did not make me feel stupid or talk down to me and is extremley useful.

I have to write many business reports and this bok has helped to ensure that I am using the correct punctuation etc on a daily basis.

Anyone who has to do any writing for their jon / uni etc will find that this is a good book to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing good english without knowing!, 29 May 2012
Mr. D. Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Queen's English: And How to Use It (Kindle Edition)
This is an excellent book which I have read on my kindle. I enjoy writing and reading good english and this book certainly gives lots of guidance and helpful advice. What surprised me the most was that I was fully aware of 90% of what makes good english without knowing the 'technical' terms for what I had written! Nevertheless, I would recommend this easy-to-read book to all lovers of our english language.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential book for anyone who speaks or wants to learn the English language, 18 Nov. 2010
S. Lee (York, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a must-have for anyone who wants to know more about English. As a non-native English speaker, I found this book really easy to follow and enjoyable to read (because it's full of hilarious jokes and cartoons!). What is so amazing about this book is that it covers everything about the English language, from how to use punctuations to business writing. There are also some exercises in the book where readers can do to deepen their understanding of the language. Unlike most language books, this author wrote extensively about the English language without being patronising. After reading this book, I am more confident in my language skills and have learnt how to use proper English. I seriously think that this book should be made compulsory reading for the current generation of poorly speaking English.
Overall, this book is comprehensive, entertaining and very well written.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›