5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for the fantastic trio
Published on 11 Dec. 2011 by Dublingirl

2.0 out of 5 stars Try a different DVD!
Published on 8 Feb. 2012 by Bizimum

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for the fantastic trio, 11 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
I've never reviewed any of the hundreds of items I have bought on Amazon but I wanted to say if you are looking at buying a DVD to work out to then look no further. This is so worth while. I was not into exercise at all and after a futile attempt at jogging I thought I would never exercise. I so desperately wanted to lose weight and if that meant getting fit too, so much the better. I've lost two stone in six months and it is largely thanks to working out with Davina, Jackie and Mark. I do their DVDs about four times a week and on the other days I try and get a walk in. Like Davina advises I have tried to eat more sensibly but lets be honest I'm never going to diet. After a while you will feel better and before long other people will start commeting on the fact that you look better. I should be on commission for the amount of people I have recommended the previous DVDs to and I'm delighted to do it. We love these guys in Ireland!

The exercises are clear and easy to follow and most importantly for me who is not a gym bunnyy they are explained really well with the team advising you on common mistakes, which I was making in the beginning. I also love Davina's face when the workout gets tough and you think you can't go on, she is going through exactly the same thing. I probably laugh more than I should working out. Jackie is a brilliant teacher and is so encouraging while Mark makes you feel like you have climbed Everest.

This one is broken into easy to manage workout sessions with two half hour ones at the start and a few shorter ones if you're low on time. They know what parts we want to tone - bingo wings, summer shoulders, abs etc. The music is a good match to the exercise and isn't that annoying boom boom boom stuff you usually get and it makes you keep going. I am delighted that the trio keep releasing workouts as you can mix and match to your hearts content.

Good luck to all of you who are working out seriously for the first time. If I can do it you can do it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest review for proper fatties like me!, 18 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
I've yet to see a review of this item from the point of view of someone as fat and unfit as me, so if you're very large and want to know how difficult these workouts are, hopefully you will find this review useful.

I'm 42 years old, 5'3" tall, and weighed (at start of using this DVD, a week and a half ago) 15st 11lb. Like I said, I'm very fat :) Add to that, until the day I started using this DVD, I had been a 20-a-day smoker for 30 years. I hope this builds an accurate picture for you of just how unfit I am! And I'm sure I'm not the only woman out there with such serious health, weight and fitness problems who is determined to do something about it, so that's the point of this review :)

So, here's how this DVD is for me...

As expected, it's bloody hard work. I'm knackered by the end of the warm-up section. Being so fat and unfit, trying to bend my limbs into the positions expected of me is like trying to bend cooked sausages in half without splitting them. I physically cannot do some of the moves in the DVD; for example, in the warm ups, there's this move where you stand on one leg and hold your other foot behind you, bent up as if you're kneeling, to stretch your thigh. I can't do this because my legs are too fat and because I'm so stiff and unfit, I physically cannot reach my foot to hold it in place. So I have to compromise by just standing on one leg and not attempting to hold my foot. Probably doesn't do any good but what can I do if I physically can't reach my foot? lol :D

The fat burning section is the only one I've attempted so far (apart from warm up and cool down), because obviously at my size burning fat is my prime objective. This section is about 10 minutes too long; I'm half-dead after the first 15 minutes and by the end I'm unable to do much more than march on the spot. There's a bit in this section, about 5 minutes from the end, where Jackie says "if you're starting to get a bit tired by now..." and every time, without fail, I'll scream at her "STARTING? STARTING? You're effing mental, woman - I was knackered after the warm up!" - she can't hear me, but it makes me feel better :)

I do get very frustrated because I'm so bloody uncoordinated, I struggle to get both arms and legs doing what they should be doing at the same time. But I figure, compared to my old lifestyle of sitting on my arse all day doing nothing, never getting any exercise whatsoever, it probably doesn't matter as long as I'm moving.

Usually at some point during the last ten minutes of the fat burning section I will have a bit of a cry because my legs are in so much pain. If you're very fat or very unfit, do expect to feel some frustration and a bit of self-pity because these slim, healthy, fit people are jumping about on the screen, laughing and smiling and not even slightly out of breath, rubbing your nose in it that they're so healthy and you're not (they don't do this of course but it feels that way because you're so annoyed at yourself for letting yourself get in this state in the first place).

BUT. If you're looking at this product at all and reading this review, you've already decided that enough is enough and it's time you did something about your weight, so you should give yourself a big clap on the back and feel good knowing that soon you're going to be fitter, healthier and happier. Yes, as a fatty you're going to really have your work cut out, but it does get easier with each go, and it doesn't take long to remember which move is coming next and ease yourself into it without looking and feeling too stupid.

I guess I've done the fat burning section 4 times so far (will be doing 3 times a week without fail - this is only the beginning of week 2) and will say that I have already lost at least 3lbs and because I stopped smoking the same day I started the exercises, I'm finding the exercises a tiny bit easier to do each time, because my lungs are starting to clear out and I can cope with the exertion a bit better.

The DVD gets five stars for being fun (despite the tears and tantrums; Davina, Jackie and Mark are a great team and very entertaining). However, I'm knocking one star off for the constant references to the previous DVDs and the assumption that because you've bought this one, you've also bought the other ones. I haven't got any of the others, so there are things in this DVD that don't make sense because they're not explained properly because the team assumes you've learned this stuff already in previous DVDs. That's a bit of a naughty assumption and I would hope they will fix this in the next DVD.

So in summary: if you're very overweight, you will lose weight if you use this DVD 3 days a week and improve your diet (no stupid crash diets, just sensible eating, which nobody can claim not to understand these days). You will experience frustration, a bit of pain, annoyance; you will laugh, you will probably cry, you'll feel stupid and you'll kick yourself for letting yourself get this big in the first place. But you'll be very proud of yourself for doing something about it, and when in a few months you've dropped a few sizes and can squeeze back into those jeans that stopped fitting you years ago but you've hung onto just in case, you'll be very glad of the investment in this DVD :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD, Davina gets it right year after year, 17 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
I was looking forward to this DVD coming out for a long time and it did not disappoint. Davina, as always, brings her bubbly and funny character to the forefront of the DVD, which makes it enjoyable to do. Mark and Jackie's expertise and explanations are excellent, well thought out and put across well. All three have good chemistry, especially in this DVD.

The DVD is divided up as follows:

The warm up, takes a little under 10 minutes to do. There are some new moves as well as regular ones, which warms you up gradually, with stretches added to really get you ready for the workouts to follow.

The first workout: Fabulous Fat Burner is 27 minutes long. Some of the exercises are new to Davina's DVD like the Latin dance moves, but there are other moves from other DVD's too and so you never lose your footing or get confused from doing the routine from the start. It is well thought out and gives you good fat burning exercises; you certainly feel you are getting a good workout, which is well paced and very enjoyable to do. You know you are burning fat whilst doing this and it is fun, which makes the time go really quickly.

The second workout: Brilliant Boot Camp is 27 minutes long. You use weights with this section to sculpt your upper body and squats with other related exercises to help with the lower body. There are intervals of fat burning throughout the workout, which are individual and get you puffing healthily. I felt invigorated after doing this section. You really feel your whole body has benefited.

Target Abs is 13.5 minutes long. My goodness, these do work. My only criticism was the moves were all advance and they did not show beginner options, although once or twice they verbally instructed what you could do as a beginner. Also, those with knee problems may want to skip some of the core exercises, because they will put strain on your knees. Most of the exercises were enjoyable to do.

The Target Workouts are broken into three sections: Bingo Wings - 5 minutes duration, Summer Shoulders - 3.5 minutes duration and Bikini Burn - 7 minutes duration. These were great to do and worked out superbly. I could feel the exercises working my body in the way Davina and Mark described. I did them altogether (which takes a total 13.5 minutes) along with the warm up and cool down (adding 15 minutes) and found this was a good around routine in itself (28.5 minutes in total).

The Stretch and cool down section was broken down into two sections. The first 5 minutes was normal and basic stretches, which cooled you down really well. As with last years DVD, you could stop after the first 5 minutes or continue with just Davina and Mark which took a further 15 minutes (and so if you are restricted by time you may need to give the second half a miss) the second part was some yoga based moves at first followed by normal stretching at the end. Again if you have knee problems you may need to avoid some (but not all) of the exercises in this section.

The Bonus section of the school run was fun and interesting.

Overall, I loved this DVD and will be looking forward to working out to it throughout 2012. I highly recommend you add this to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit dissapointed but still a good DVD, 7 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
I have done this DVD a couple of times now and unfortunately this time, there are pros and cons.

WARM-UP- fab as usual, about 10 mins long and includes all the basic stretches as previous dvds.

FABULOUS FAT BURNER- I found this to be quite painful on my knees for me. I also have to do low impact versions of the exercises and this time Jackie doesn't always show these. I have used Davina's other DVDs so know what substitutions I can make, but beginners won't do. It also states there are some latino moves but these are only at the beginning, so there aren't many. It is quite similar to other aerobic workouts on Davina Fit and Body Buff so people liked those will like this.

BRILLIANT BOOT CAMP- This includes the boxing style we are all used to but incorporates weights and squats. The 1 min internals are the boxing style moves. So it is like aerobic and toning rolled into one. Great if you have little time. I found this better on my knees but my back wasn't too happy!! I also noted that the guys do not do equal moves on both sides. This is a flaw in a lot of fitness dvds and quite noticeable to me. People need to watch out for that.

TARGET ABS- is 15 mins long. The moves are mostly the same as Davina Body Buff but they are rushed this time round. It is hard to get from your hands and knees to back and vice versa as Davina does not count you in. So I had to give up on this as I felt my posture was compromised.

BINGO WINGS/SUMMER SHOULDERS/BIKINI BUM- all around 6 mins long each so fab if you just want to target an area. A bit rushed for me though but that is because I need extra time due to disabilities. Think this is a good idea to put on the DVD.

COOL DOWN/STRETCH- This is 20 mins long and the best part of the DVD. It is similar to Body Buff. Mark starts with the maintenance stretching which is about 5 mins long, then he and Davina go on and do more yoga type stretching which is lovely. This is something you can't miss out and will benefit you. It is also longer than the usual 10 mins so you will hopefully notice a difference.

Overall, this DVD doesn't disappoint those people used to Davina and her team. They as usual do give you value for money and try and incorporate new moves as well as existing moves. For me though, I found it more rushed and difficult for me to manage due to my health. The best one is the Boot camp as there are low impact moves and a whole body workout. Beginners need to take care and probably could benefit from purchasing something like DAVINA FIT initially to get an idea of what low impact alternatives Jackie demonstrates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Davina does it again, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
Couldn't wait to do this new Davina DVD and minutes after it landed on my door mat I was working out. This has seperate warm up and cool down/stretch sections which I like as I can do as many or as few of the workout routines as I want to. The Fat Burning section had some cool new moves and it was nice to not know what was coming next. This is my 5th Davina DVD (I own others but they aren't a patch on Davina) and it lived up to my high expectations. The Abs section was agony, fantastic! no pain, no gain. Haven't done the Boot Camp section yet but took a look and will be putting my new 3kg hand weights to good use this week. I would recommend this DVD to anyone wanting to get fit or keep fit you can't go wrong with Davina, Jackie and Mark who explain the correct way to do the moves and you can work at your own level. I've lost over 4 stone since discovering Davina 2 years ago and her DVD's combined with healthy eating and taking up running have made me the fittest I have ever been and I'm on the wrong side of 40. Buy this DVD you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars She does it again this time even harder, 14 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
I have many Davina DVD's and this one sure does what it says on the package. I found this workout slightly tougher than the other DVD's I have however may be once I have gotten use to it then it will not seem so hard. I prefer to feel like I've done a work out and this DVD deliver's in that area. The music is funky and goes with the work out. I would not say this is my favourite Davina workout but it does the job so I will stick it out.

I do enjoy watching Mark as he is the comedian of the three and watching him attempt some of the moves is interesting to say the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet!, 9 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
I have completed the Fatburner, bootcamp and ab's section of the DVD.

The best thing about the Davina series is that Mark and Jackie (the trainer's) REALLY know what they are talking about. Unlike other "celebrity" fitness DVD's Davina trains with them both all year round and the genuine chemistry and jokes between them really motivates you when working out and makes it feel like you are being let into one of their personal training sessions.

The fatburner section is 30 minutes of real cardio fat burning moves and Jackie gives great instruction and posture correction advice, which sadly lacks in a lot of similar DVD's. You can start doing the low impact version and then progress as you get fitter. It has bits of Zumba style aerobics and other routines that work well together. The soundtrack is great as well.

The bootcamp is my favourite section and follows the pattern as in previous DVD's in the series with Mark leading and using interval sections for fatburning and free weights for toning...and it works!

I have not tried the target sections yet, but the write up says it will help target those tricky areas, which can only be a good thing!

As a guy, I generally find fitness DVD's very female orientated, but the Davina series has workouts that are unisex and really do push you to get results and thats why I still use them and love doing them.

Anyone who has the previous DVD's will not be disapointed and anyone new to the Davina fitness will be hooked. I reccommend collecting the whole series to give you a variey of workouts to keep you motivated throughout the year.

Lets face it Davina looks amazing for a woman in her early 40's, so Jackie and Mark must be doing something right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Diverse Workout DVD from Davina, Mark and Jackie!, 6 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
This is my 5th Davina DVD. Every time a new one comes out you worry it won't be as good as the last one but they never disappoint!

Now for the review, I'll review by section:

Ultimate Target is split into 6 seperate workouts and then a 10 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down.

Warm Up - the warm up is around 10 minutes. I highly reccomend you do the warm up as it will get your body used to some of the moves you will be doing and also it's so important to stretch before and after the workout. The warm up as usual is concise and warms up the main areas you will be working.

Fabulous Fat Burner - 30 minutes. Led by Jackie, the DVD blurb mentions latino moves, please don't let this stop you from buying the dvd. The latino moves and really just a bit of hip swaying at the front but nothing compared to Zumba, which I have tried and failed miserably at! The fat burner section is quite tough, but fun and I think with a few goes at it you will slowly get used to it! It certainly gets the pulse going and the heart rate up!

Brilliant Boot Camp - 30 minutes. I love this section, its my favourite section. Its led by Mark and is great for an all over workout. You need some weights for this section and I would recommend starting with at least 1kg weights. I am hoping to work up to 3kg eventually! It is a lot of squatting, lunging, and work with the weights combined. I don't think I'll ever get used to the pulsing lunges and squats but I love them! You really know you've worked out with this section!

Target Abs - a great workout for the abs. This is led by Jackie, they do lots of varied exercises to target all of your abs and you will feel it working. I especially love the plank exercises and the reverse abdominals. You can work your way up to the full 15 minutes if your abs are a little new to the exercise. My only teeny tiny criticism would be sometimes the move from one exercise to the next and you don't always get counted in, but usually Jackie and Davina are very good at counting you in and on the reps. Once you have done it a few times, you won't even notice anyway.

Bingo Wings - Led by Mark - targeting your triceps, it is 4 repetitions of 3 exercises, half press ups, tricep weight lifts on your back and tricep dips. It is really tough but a quick concise workout! Persevere with it! I prefer to do my dips of the back of our coffee table to make it a bit harder!

Summer Shoulders - this is led by Mark again. You will need your weights, it is various reps of front arm raises, upright rows and upright row into shoulder press (or cubans). Great 5 minute workout for the arms and shoulders.

Bikini Bum - Led by Mark! Lots of squats, lunges etc again but in a short 5-10 minute workout. Great if you don't want to do the full bootcamp session.

Cool Down - there is the short 5 minute cooldown which does the usual leg/arm stretches and then the further more developmental stretches that Mark and Davina do. I usually just do the first cool down unless I have lots of time.

All in all I would highly recommend this DVD, and people who have had Davina's DVDs before will know what its all about. A tough, serious workout but with a little bit of humour and fun thrown in. I love the fact that they have thrown in the short target workouts, as when you are short on time, you can fit in a warm up, couple of target sections, cool down and you are done in 30 minutes. I usually alternate between the 30 minute workouts and target abs and then the next day I will do the target workouts.

I hope this review has helped, I would just give it a go. If you don't like it you can return it but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Try a different DVD!, 8 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
I have all the Davina DVDs, so I was looking forward to this new addition. I have to say, if I hadn't already got the other DVDs I would have found this one ok but not the best on the market. But having done all the others, this one seems as though they've run out of ideas and I did feel bored part way through which was so disappointing. Its such a shame as I love Davina, Mark and Jackie but I'd say you'd be better of doing Body Buff or Super Body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] (DVD)
Really like this DVD - It is hard work - but love the fact it is in 30 min slots - so no excuse when you cant fit in an hour! I like the fat burner - its hard work but fun - and you really know you have worked out afterwards! Top tip - do the cool down - I skipped it and couldn't walk for days!!! Hurts your calf muscles!!

Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD]
Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD] by Davina McCall (DVD - 2011)