5.0 out of 5 stars Has a ring to it, 17 Jan. 2012
Paul B "-pb-" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After reading Celia and the Fairies, my daughter (7) was eager to read the next book from Karen McQuestion.

Secrets of the Magic Ring doesn't follow on from the first book, but it does have very similar themes and the same, easy to read, writing style that children aged 7-8 should be able to easily follow.

The story involves a magic wishing ring that a young boy called Paul finds. As is usual in these stories, wishes do not go according to plan and there is a moral running through this story about being selfish.

Though the main character is a boy, girls will find plenty to enjoy here. There is magic and the return of fairies as in the earlier book, plus the story itself is another excellent adventure full of magic. It feels almost timeless compared to many modern stories about children and harks back to stories I read in my own youth.

I thoroughly recommend Secrets of the Magic Ring and the previous book, Celia and the Fairies, for children aged 7 and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of the Magic Ring, 15 Dec. 2011
A. Lucas "bookworm" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a wonderful book. It's so well written - and the story is great. It's full of intrigue and suspense, with a fair amount of fun thrown in. My 6 year old son thinks this is fantastic, and I must admit, I found myself reading on a bit further even when he'd fallen asleep at bedtime, as I got so into the story!! I wish there were more books like this for children - good, old fashioned magical tales that don't involve violent aliens blasting each other to pieces or kids who have problems we should all be able to relate to.......... I for one want a bit of escapism in a book, and this is perfect. I hope there are lots and lots of copies purchased as Christmas gifts, as this is a perfect gift for any child (or young at heart adult!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Make a wish, 8 Jan. 2012
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A piece of urban fantasy aimed at younger readers. Most ideally those aged seven to ten. But well enough written such that those of an older age might enjoy it as well.

It runs for one hundred and forty seven pages - of quite large and readable print - and is divided into thirty seven chapters.

There are also illustrations of various points in the story.

Main character is Paul, who has parents who don't quite relate to him. A dog called Clem. A friend called Celia. And a rich aunt. Who decides to give him a swimming pool for his birthday.

When this is being built Paul finds a box buried in the ground. Opening it reveals a special ring. That allows it's owner to make a wish.

But what should Paul wish for? And who is the strange boy lurking nearby who wants to get his hands on the ring?

There's an old saying about why you should be careful what you want. And Paul is about to find out how true that is...

This is superbly written and very readable from the off, and the writer does get all the character perspetives nearly everything is seen from Paul's viewpoint. The way he and his parents can't quite relate to each other is spot on. It also covers many things that kids of his age will go through, such as problems with classmates.

The plot does unfold at a nice pace with a few twists and turns. The seeming villain of the piece is well written because they have credible motivation. And the fantasy elements - although perhaps revealed a little too early - are quite nicely done.

All is wrapped up at the end very well also.

An entertaining little fantasy. The moral lessons it touches on are never put over in a ham fisted way. It's ideal light reading for younger readers looking for a good fantasy tale. And just the kind of thing you could read to your kids at bedtime.

Although you might have to fight the temptation to keep it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars KIDS WILL LOVE THIS BOOK!, 4 Dec. 2011
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I just loved this book! I'm not ashamed to say that though I've long been an adult, I just ADORED this read!

From time to time, we receive certain books we choose from Amazon for 'review', but sadly many of them are usually 'uncorrected proofs' which sometimes means (especially in this case) some bits can be missing, and in this particular instance it was the pictures that should have been featured - and I sorely wanted to see them... Such a pity... However; the book was absolutely wonderful!

A small boy finds a ring. He later discovers quite by accident that the ring is magic, but that the wearer only gets to make a single wish. This sounds great, but there are many complications as the ring passes from person to animal!

This story is full of twists and turns, and I'm not ashamed to say was a bit stumped as to figure out how all this was going to be sorted out, and so I just KNOW kids of all ages with any imagination will just love it!

The only minor continuity error I found was when the boy 'Henry' comes to Paul's window asking him for a favour, and Paul doesn't hesitate but to talk with him felt a bit 'odd', as the last only time he'd seen the strange Henry before, the boy had been quite unfriendly and quite threatening, and so I thought this needed a little bit more time in the story to develop - perhaps by having the boys meet up a couple of more times first to get to know each other a bit better perhaps to be a bit more credible. (a small niggle for such a good read though!)

Five Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars my 9 year old loves this, 22 April 2012
Mr. Nadim Bakhshov "Nadim Bakhshov" (Bloomsbury, London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first in the series was a direct hit for my 8 year old daughter. This follow-up, which became a Christmas present not only was consumed in a few days over the Christmas break but left my daughter with some clear and delightful memories of the characters and situations.

My daughter: "I loved this book. I wish there were more. It is magical and imaginative without being too caught up with typical modern tweenie issues. Brilliant."

I trust her judgement. So should you.

5.0 out of 5 stars aimed at the 8 to 10 age bracket, 27 Nov. 2011
Free Spirit "shilo115" (North Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely story aimed at those in the 8 - 10 year age bracket. The story is about Paul whose Aunt insists on building him a swimming pool and in doing so, he finds a ring........... I am not going to go into any more detail because I dont want to spoil the story.

Lovely style of writing which children will find appealing and a magical story line.

I would definately recommend this book for any child interested in reading and magic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 5 Dec. 2011
Mrs. Gail Brewster (Doncaster UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely story about a boy who finds a magic ring that has been buried in a well.

Paul's rich aunt buys him a swimming pool for his birthday. When the ground is being excavated for the pool, an old well is discovered by the builders. When the builders have gone home, Paul looks at the work they have done and discovers a buried box, he digs it out but when he is climbing back out of the hole, a mysterious boy appears and demands the box from him. Paul's dog chases the intruder away and Paul hides the box in the garage till morning.

When Paul opens the box he finds a beautiful ring inside and a mysterious note telling the wearer to be selfless in their wishes. The magic ring is not as harmles as it appears and causes all sorts of problems and mayhem for anyone who makes a wish for themselves.

Faries live in the woods at the bottom of Pauls garden and are responsible for the care of Paul and his family. The ring causes a few headaches for them too as they plot to get rid of it.

This book is for anyone who still beleives in faries and magic. It is full of humour and very well written. My grandchildren loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for 7+ year olds, full of intrigue and surprises, 10 Sept. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This story by Karen McQuestion contains a great mix of magic, fairies and adventure. It certainly kept my 7 year old daughter interested for her bedtime story. We haven't read Celia and the Fairies (the prequel to this book), but it didn't matter in the slightest. I would recommend this book to both girls and boys, it certainly has more substance to it than some of the other children's books out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Should appeal to boys and girls, 9 Jan. 2012
Tim Roast (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whenever I see a book with a magic ring in it I immediately think of Lord of the Rings. Well this is not Lord of the Rings; it's a lot shorter for a start. In fact there aren't many similarities (this is a tale set in the real world whilst LOTR isn't for example) but the ring does seem to have a pull that makes people want to wear it which has LOTR written all over it.

The story follows only-child Paul who finds a magic ring which allows the wearer one wish and one wish only. Trouble is if the wish is a selfish one then things will go wrong. And things do go wrong.

I think the tale is for younger readers rather than older readers because the language is quite simplistic. It also should appeal to girls as well as boys with fairies making an appearance.

Overall, for me, the pace started slow but picked up and when it did the book was very exciting and drew me in. It is a bit short though, although for the young readers it is designed for this is probably a good thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets Of The Magic Ring, 25 Mar. 2012
Romreader "pawsperson" (Gosport, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Paul is a nine year old boy who has a wealthy auntie who suggests to Pauls parents that she would like to pay for a swimming pool to be put in the family Garden. Celia a friend of Pauls stares out at the garden with Paul gradually watching the giant hole being Dug for the Pool.Finding and old well Paul goes down a ladder to find a Box.
Henry a Boy came from knowhere seems to be very anxious to get his hands on the box, but Paul found the wooden box and wanted to hide the contents of the box in a safe place(under his Pillow).
His mother then gives the ring to his Auntie, you find out that the ring has powers, to find out what happens and if Paul gets the ring back or if Henry gets his hands on it buy this book.
A wonderful exiting read by Karen Mcquestion, My child wanted me to read this from cover to cover, didn't want me to put it down.

Secrets of the Magic Ring