Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 21 January 2014
This is the story of an ex private detective shaken out of retirement in a near future, post apocalyptic world to solve an unusual murder. Unusual because the alleged victim is a self confessed serial killer who is recorded committing suicide on video tape.

I enjoyed the book; the plot proceeds at a nice place and is an ideal airport read. I'm guessing the author was also heavily influenced by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson; although not in the same league, it was well written enough to keep me engaged. I liked the combination of hard boiled noir elements rubbing up against future dystopia; It would seem seediness is fundamentally the same whatever the technology.

Although entertaining, it wasn't quite a five star read for me. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of certain characters and the plot could have done with a little more work to satisfyingly obfuscate things; the identity of the villains was evident quite a while before they were unmasked, mostly because there were no viable alternatives to muddy the waters. However, the as the author pointed out, this was an early work and it is still far better than most in this bracket.

Definitely worth 77p
on 9 February 2014
Our planet is careering towards an environmental catastrophe. This book is a great detective story set in the dysfunctional future that we're creating today, where artificial implants and gene splicing are the norm.

It has the potential for a great SF film.
on 19 September 2015
Mickey Spillane goes walkabout in the distant future? This is a strange book using two totally different formats ie Private Detective in a Science Fiction age. It shouldn't work but weirdly it does . So I can recommend it. Just stay with it until your brain adjusts.
on 21 July 2014
Having read his navy stories I was not sure how to take this story. What a mind, great book with a story that held me.
on 11 July 2012
I quite enjoyed this book it is the sort that does not stretch your thinking too much just a jolly good read.
on 1 October 2015
Good story. The sci fi is dated by today's standards but you can forgive that. I will read the next one.
on 21 January 2015
Interesting book, enjoyed it but not as much as I thought I would. Not cyberpunk enough for me!
on 8 November 2013
For fans of Blade runner and Ghost in the shell, a dark technological thriller with very human characters at the heart of it. Each of the futuristic ideas through out the story come into play and are bought together for a satisfying and suspenful finale!
on 19 February 2014
I really enjoyed this book.. The main protagonist is a well drawn, likeable character and the futuristic world-building is clever and believable. The story itself is a real page-turner and is very well paced. Definitely worth a look.
on 21 February 2013
It is difficult to judge if the 'operationsl' detail included in each stroy is authentic but I found that it does not greatly add to the story so now trnd to speed through it. The actual story is great and always interesting.