5.0 out of 5 stars airplane - hilarious
Published on 2 Jan 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but over hyped
The blurb on the case says "One of the top ten funniest movies ever made." I'm sorry, but that is taking marketing hype to new depths of insincerity, and an insult to the numerous far funnier films made down the decades than Airplane. I'm not saying I don't like the film, far from it, it's an okay but only okay film. However, I don't even consider Airplane to be the best...
Published 19 months ago by Peter J. Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars airplane - hilarious, 2 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Airplane! [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely love this film - atlhough it is 25 years old and I have lost count of the number of times I have seen it. I know the jokes off by heart but still end up crying with laughter. I have just seen it come in at no 2 of channel 4's 50 greatest comedies and to be quite honest am quite relieved. Up till now I really thought I was alone in my appreciation of this classic. The humour is never ending with hidden jokes that creep up on you in the next scene. The disco scene is excellent, not to mention Leslie Neilson's "don't call me Shirley" lines, the nun's cheery song, the vietnam flashbacks, the hysterical passenger, the haphazard crew at the control tower. The jokes just continue to come in thick and fast and I will never tire of seeing it, I am slightly ashamed to say that some of the quotes will live with me forever!!

5.0 out of 5 stars original and still the best, 7 Aug 2006
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Airplane! [DVD] (DVD)
A film that spawned a whole new style of comedy. Some great. Some not so great. I hadn't seen this in years before getting the DVD [the one I'm reviewing is the special edition which has a menu and a commentary].

Surely you'd think it would have looked dated by comparison to all that came since?

You would. But don't call me shirley! Because it doesn't. This is still one of the funniest films ever made.

If you've never seen it, then see it. And if you've seen it before see it again! Worth a place in any dvd collection

5.0 out of 5 stars THE FUNNIEST FILM EVER!!, 12 Mar 2006
Dean (Beccles, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airplane! [DVD] (DVD)
Whoever wrote this film was a genius! There is a funny moment in almost every minute. I am laughing at the moment thinking about it. There are moments which really stand out for me! But I won't say them. The only downfall for me is that there are no special features, (except one which is the commentary). But that doesn't matter, as long as the film is there.
One word - HILARIOUS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular spoof...launched a dynasty, 26 Aug 2007
Brian Levine - See all my reviews
This review is from: Airplane! [DVD] (DVD)
The first disaster spoof movie, this is so funny it hurts. Leslie Nielsen hits the spot as the doctor on the plane where everyone's eaten dodgy fish including the pilot, and the leads are camp but reined in. The Zucker/Abrams combo is genius, and the gags have been much-copied by numerous other movies.

The extras were interesting, but not worth buying just for them alone. The double-set of Airplane and the sequel, the imaginatively titled Airplane II, is probably better value, but if you want the extras, go for this, because they're not on the double-film disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Long Haul Edition, 22 Oct 2009
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The film should need no reintroduction, so this is more about the new extras on the 'Don't Call Me Shirley' edition. The audio commentary and trailer from the previous issue are retained, but because of the absence of any behind the scenes footage, rather than a new documentary there's a `long haul' option to view the film with cast and crew interviews. And it's a long haul indeed - barely 30 seconds, and sometimes less, seem to pass before you're taken to another interview, not always that relevant to what's going on onscreen. Indeed, on one occasion you're just taken to the directors clearing their throats. There are only three brief deleted scenes, but there's a fairly comprehensive number of surviving cast and crew, from the directors (who proffer such words of wisdom as "These days it's so easy to get a nun on a surfboard."), Leslie Nielson, Robert Hays, Peter Graves and various supporting players to the now grown-up little Joey (as in "Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?") and the kid whose face appears on one memorable faked newspaper headline (the producer's grandson). Only Julie Haggerty seems conspicuous by her absence. The only annoyance is that it's not possible to access the interviews separately without watching the whole film. Among the highlights is a brief shot-by-shot comparison with Zero Hour!, the b-movie that inspired the film: not only is it every bit as inane as legend has it, including laughable dialogue reprised verbatim in Airplane!, but the directors even went to enormous efforts to match parts of it shot-for-shot!

There is one tantalizing unanswered question - given John Travolta's enthusiasm for the film when it was in production, what did he make of Robert Stack beating up the Scientologists, Moonies and other cults soliciting donations in possibly the film's most memorable moment?

4.0 out of 5 stars A Comedy Classic, 13 Jan 2011
If you love Leslie Nielsen then you have to own this DVD of the film that kick started his comedy career. Airplane is the film that set the trend of Comedy films like the Naked Gun Series and Scary Movie series and others too many to mention.

This DVD presents the Film well my only problem is the extras I would have liked a full doc video about the film with interviews with cast and crew you do get that in a in-film feature but it is a pain to watch the film and what seems like every 30secs a doc video it would have been better to have presented those interviews in a full video doc but its still a great buy for comedy lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 25 Mar 2007
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Airplane! [DVD] (DVD)
This brilliant comedy is the best film the Abrahams/Zucker team ever made. Largely a parody of the many Airport movies made in the 1970's it remains relentlessly funny, with the jokes occurring in a seemingly endless stream.

The casting is perfect: Lloyd Bridges, Robert Hays, Julie Haggerty and Leslie Neilsen were made for the roles they play here. Best of all is Peter Graves as Captain Oveur, in a role they might have trouble getting made these days! There are so many great moments in this film but the complete confusion in the cockpit remains a favourite of mine:

Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

The DVD includes some fascinating extras, including interviews with the cast and director, which you can watch as you watch the movie as they are played in sequence (i.e. the movie cuts away and then restarts after the interview).

So its a great film, with great extras. What more could you ask for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where all the best comedy movies orgionated, 19 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Airplane! [DVD] (DVD)
Airplane - an all time classic. David Zucker stars in this fantastically funny movie topped off with a performance from Leslie Nielson. So you must go buy this movie? Why, what is it, I hear you ask? Well, it's a story with actors, but that's not important right now!!!!!! The great thing about this movie is that even after 20+ times of viewing there is still 'hidden' funny bits you have to watch out for. The jokes are hilarious and David Zucker, with his brother Jerry have produced many films such as Naked Gun and Top Secret - to give you an idea of the humour involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Brilliantly silly and amazingly funny., 14 July 2013
I'm old enough to have seen this first time around. Have never had a home copy. Saw a piece of this on TV while at a friend's house. I laughed so much I determined to get it on DVD. So glad I did! The one liners and references to other films, most notably the "Disaster" movies that were all the rage when this was released, make it a gem. If you don't find something funny you will within the next minute.

Oh yes, this is not one of those "boys only" films. My wife laughs along as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me cry with laughter every time., 20 Jun 2013
Mr. R. D. Turner (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Airplane! [1980][Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Surely this can't be out on Blu-Ray? Yes it is and don't call me Shirley!

Ok the jokes are cheesy as pie but it is a funny film and this is a good print. Is it better than the DVD? Yes. Is it digitally remastered? No.

I'm not sure of the quality of the source material but it is not up there with the 60's and 70's Bond films on Blu-Ray so I would guess they are using not a full HD source.

That said it is the best I have ever seen it and it had me in stitches all over again.

Airplane! [1980][Blu-ray]  [Region Free]
Airplane! [1980][Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Jerry Zucker (Blu-ray - 2011)
7.50