Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 November 2011
Having been an Evanescence fan since the early days I shall attempt to keep this as unbiased as possible!!

Comparing this album to both Fallen and The Open Door, it feels like more of the same yet light years different. For fans like myself the similarity and continuity of the theme is welcome, why change something that works so well? However, the tracks penned on this album take the Evanescence 'essence', if you will, to a completely different level. If i was to be brutally honest there are some tracks on Fallen and TOD that are not so memorable. This album is a rarity in that i can listen to all of it and am still left wanting more by track 16...its simply a cut above and a testament to the bands writing ability. You can feel the emotion in the vocals on every track and the band do a fantastic job of getting the musical aspects spot on also.
I was lucky enough to see Evanescence in concert in Glasgow recently promoting this album. I have to say that hearing these tracks live is another experience altogether...truly memorable and something that will stay with me forever.

Evanescence' style is varied and they can pull off slow, haunting songs as well as belt out the really strong ones with absolute credibility unlike some other rock bands who can only do one particular style i.e. hard. Their versatility is a credit to them!

In summary, a fantastic album in its entirety with well written, well delivered tracks which take Evanescence back to the top where they belong. Buy this album...seriously, you will NOT be disappointed!!
on 12 June 2012
I didn't really know what to expect after reading some of the negative comments on here. I'm glad I never paid any attention to them!!

It is everything that I was hoping for..
The unmistakable harmonies from Amy Lee are as good as ever.
There is a good mix of heavy and soft/slow songs.
Every track leaves me wanting more.

I am very happy and think it is a very good release.

Well done guys :-)
on 31 October 2011
I'm surprised at some of the more negative comments here.

This is a great album. It's very upbeat, while still keeping the melancholic theme that we know from other Evanescence albums.

Also, this sounds like a band, not Amy Lee, a guitarist and a producer like on Open Door. Good, meaty guitars, and well-placed electronic bits. Very nice.

The musicians seem to play with much more freedom and energy than Ben Moody and co, and although I love Fallen, this album just has more energy. I must admit, I cringed at the "hello, hello, remember me" lyric that every band seems to add to a comeback album/first song, but the rest of the song, and the rest of the album stands up excellently.

16 songs too, so you get your money's worth after waiting five years!

I've listened to this album a few times now, and every single time I get to track 16 wondering why the album has ended so soon. That's the sign of a real winner.
on 22 October 2011
It's been a long time since an Evanescence album has been released, so my anticipation and expectations for this album were really high.
I'm happy to say that this album is so passionate, driven and creative that I wasn't the slightest bit dissapionted - this is Evanescence back with a vengeance.
What You Want is a great opener; it gently eases you into the albums new electonic tones which become more evident in later tracks such as the ethereal Oceans, the pensive Swimming Home and the powerful Sick.

Amy's voice has matured, and the programming really reflects this. Her voice still soars above the music, sounding much more raw than previously. This time, however, the sound doesn't seem focused on her voice. Its more a record that signifies the band as a unit. The new line up is in my opinion the best yet, it sounds like they had a lot of fun making this album.

Higlight tracks would be What You Want, Made of Stone, The Change, My heart is Broken, Lost in Paradise, Sick and Oceans. The bonus tracks are also just as good, the most memorable being Dissapear. Secret Door is stunning, and feels like a fitting ending to the record. Amy's vocals really shine on this dream-like track.

I love this band, and I hope they go from strenth to strength with thier music. The themes used are so interesting in the songwriting and the lyrics are thought provoking. All in all, a great new entry and a bit of a re-invention for the classic rock group Evanescence... roll on the tour!
on 18 March 2012
I got this as a present and I listen to it everyday. I never used to be an Evanescence fan, having only recently got into them over the last year or so, so their previous albums and singles somewhat passed me by. Being an Evanescence newbie I'm not going to get into a debate as to whether this latest album is better or worse than 'Fallen' or 'The Open Door'. Personally I like all of them and should be enjoyed in their own right.

For me, the first four tracks on this album are by far the strongest, with 'My Heart is Broken' being pick of the bunch - the singing by Amy Lee is beautiful and mesmorising, as usual. 'Made of Stone' runs it a close second. The album shows the band's skill at performing and playing different types and pace of music - all with success.

In short, this is a must for Evanescence fans, and for those who want to experience or admire Amy Lee in superb form. This is fantastic.
on 17 October 2011
First off, I've been an Evanescence fan since 2006 when I heard the haunting song "Lithium". I was blown away instantly, and I bought the album. The Open Door quickly became my favourite album, and I never thought I would hear something that I enjoyed more.

Five years on, I have done. Evanescence's latest release is the embodiment of Evanescence, and shows the band at a finally perfect stage. The album opens with the insanely catchy "What You Want", a song that, although flopped in the singles charts, really is ingenious. However, this song, although fantastic, is only a small taster of what's on the album. "Made of Stone", "The Change", "My Heart Is Broken", are all intriguing songs and have that typical Evanescence quality that we all know - Amy Lee's soaring, ethereal vocals dance over the instruments, and they compliment each other more than ever before.

The album also has some of the band's heaviest tracks to date: Never Go Back and The Other Side come to mind. They groove through you as you listen, and you won't be able to stop tapping your feet to the beat! Swimming Home is, for me, the most interesting and intriguing song on the album. This song shows a whole new side to Evanescence; a side that previously lurked beneath the heavy surface. Its smooth electronic beat and Amy's soothing vocals combine to make a beautiful and totally different ballad; a wonderful gem on the album.

The four deluxe tracks are surprisingly some of the best on the album. New Way to Bleed, Disappear and Say You Will, although slightly generic titles, prove to combine Evanescence's signature sound with something different, although I can't quite put my finger on what that is. Secret Door is the real hidden highlight on this effort. It showcases Amy Lee's harp playing skills, which she only recently acquired. But other than that, it shows that haunting side combined with that soothing side we saw in Swimming Home. This last song also combines with Lost in Paradise as being the signature ballads on the album.

Overall, this album is, in my opinion, Evanescence's best to date. The only problem? Many fans, particularly those who miss Ben Moody and the Fallen days seem to dislike it because of the change in sound. I personally think the change has made the band stronger, and I hope this will mark a new beginning for Evanescence.
on 27 October 2011
Having loved Fallen and quite liked The Open Door because of the combination of heaviness, melody and beautiful singing, I was very much looking forward to this new release. I was a bit concerned when the first track began because of it's relatively jolly pop intro (not what I expect, or frankly I want from this band) but I needn't have worried. As soon as the track got warmed up (at about 20 seconds)I was then swept away by the mighty riffs and soaring, heartfelt vocals across the rest of the album. It's everything I loved about the first two albums but slicker, more mature and, to my ears at least, a bit heavier. Particular highlights for me are the hard rock of Made in Stone, Erase This, Sick, Oceans and Never Go Back, and the slightly softer track Lost in Paradise. Lost in Paradise is this album's My Immortal or Lithium such is it's beauty and power - to me it's an instant classic and worth the £8 alone. In my opinion this is a solid 5 stars and I recommend it to all rock fans.
on 20 October 2012
Fallen.. the alternative album.
Open Door.. the gothic album.
Evanescence.. the rock album??

I love Evanescence, and must have played the first two albums literally about 50 times each.
So with this one being years and years in the making I wasn't sure what to expect.

It definitely has a rock theme throughout, so there are less ethereal, haunting notes which was a smidge disappointing!
However, Amy's voice retains its emotionally rich tones in songs like My Heart is Broken, Lost in Paradise and Swimming Home. Which may be why they are some of my favourites, they are so captivating and impressive to listen to.

There are also some absorbing heavier songs - Made of Stone, the intro to The Other Side is awesome, and End of the Dream and Never Go Back have some great heavy notes. The chorus in the latter is so complex and she deals with the scales and power notes with so much ease that it shows off her vocal range perfectly.

What you Want I would say was the only song I'm not a fan of, as the OTT drum intro and 'Hello hello' line is somewhat cliche. But I get the feeling the band fairly got to flex their musical muscles more in this album, whether people are a fan of the outcome or not, no one can say that it doesn't have some good songs on it.

Its rock but with feeling and one of the most impressive voices I've ever heard.
Favourite songs - The Change, My Heart is Broken, Lost in Paradise and End of the Dream.
on 11 October 2012
This review is also on my dooyoo/ciao account under the username alexcatt97. This album is the third album by rock/metal band Evanescence who are well known for their debut album "Fallen" and debut single "Bring me to Life" which have received major worldwide success both selling millions of copies. Evanescence also have many Ep's and a demo album which before they were signed with Wind up so they can be downloaded for free on the internet. Their second album was achieved major global success in 2006 but after the album the band went into Hiatus until recordings for this album started in 2010. In my opinion this album has elements of the previous albums in it but slightly different from them.

Not much happened in those five years between albums except for the guitarist John LeCompt and drummer Rocky Gray being fired and the new lineup being formed which is the one which recorded this album.

This album took a long time to be released and the date was pushed back many times due to vocalist Amy Lee being unhappy with it, problems with the label and a change of producer. The album was set for release in 2010 but these factors pushed the date back to October 2011 when the album was finally released when the band where happy that it represented Evanescence which is the reasoning behind the eponymous title. The album is available in standard edition with 12 tracks or as a deluxe version with 16 tracks and an extra DVD which I shall be reviewing.

Evanescence on this album includes:

Amy Lee - '''Vocals'''
Terry Balsamo - '''Lead guitar'''
Tim McCord - '''Bass'''
Troy McLawhorn - '''Rhythm guitar'''
Will Hunt - '''Drums'''

==Track reviews==

===What You Want===

The album starts with the lead single and very catchy song called "What You Want" which was released as a single before the album release. From the release of it, I have loved this song and still listen to it regularly but the things which really do stand out in this track are the drums which you can hear from the onset and also the vocals from Amy Lee which are outstanding in my opinion on this song. The chorus of the song I think is the reason why this track is so catchy with the lyrics, "Hello, hello remember me? I'm everything you can't control" always getting stuck in my head when I have recently listened to this track.

===Made of Stone===

"Made of Stone" is the second track on the album which at first I was unsure about but have grown to love. It is one of the heavier tracks on the record and I love the lyrics on this song and they are again brilliantly performed by Amy Lee whose vocals on this track seem a lot angrier and I think this fits with the heavier sound on this track. Also I think this is one of the tracks where the guitar work really stands out. I was hoping for this to be one of the singles from the album because of it's heaviness.

===The Change===

"The Change" is the third song on the album and has always been one of my personal favourites on the album but in my opinion is not as powerful as the two previous tracks but is good in its own right. The whole band perform this to an equal excellence and in my opinion everything on the track works brilliantly together to create a great song.

===My Heart is Broken===

The fourth track on the album is called "My Heart is Broken" and is the second single from the album. When I saw the title of the song before the albums release I was pretty disappointed because it sounded a bit cliche and poppy but I have found that it's meaning is a lot deeper and so are the lyrics which are about victims of sex trafficking. The one thing you can hear more prominently on this track which isn't so much on the previous three is piano work which features throughout the song and is quite enjoyable and one of the things that stands put on the track as well as the vocals especially in the chorus.

===The Other Side===

"The Other Side" is the fifth song and has been released as a radio single so unfortunately it will not be getting a music video. It is not one of my favourites on the album but an enjoyable song to listen to with impressive guitar and drum work throughout. The riffs on the song work brilliantly in my opinion and especially along side the vocals from Amy Lee.I also enjoy the lyrics in this song but I cannot quite understand the full meaning of them. I would have preferred this song to have been the third single and to get a music video over "Lost in Paradise" (track 7) in my opinion.

===Erase This===

"Erase This" is track 6 on the album and one that stands out lyrically and vocally on the album showcasing Amy's really powerful voice and the bands excellent writing. This is one the tracks on the album where everything works together brilliantly and I also really enjoy the piano work featured on this song. This has to be one of my favourites on the album.

===Lost In Paradise===

"Lost in Paradise" is the third single on the album and is due to receive a music video. I think it was a good choice for the band as a single as the very prominent use of piano may remind old fans of the very successful sing "My immortal" from the bands debut album. I really do enjoy the use of other string instruments such as the violin which really make the track a bit different from the other songs and could also remind fans of previous work where those types of string instruments have been quite prominent.

===Sick===

"Sick" is the next track on the album and another which feels a lot angrier than the other songs which is shown by the vocals and lyrics mainly which work great with the guitar and drum work on the track to produce that affect. When I say it is quite an angry track, it is quite different from Made of Stone which is good because it gives the album a lot more variety.

===End of the Dream===

"End of the Dream" is a track which starts with quiet heavy guitar work although it gets softer through the song but is something I enjoy on this song quite a lot which manages to work well with the vocals in this song. I think that the song can be a bit repetitive at times and therefore sometimes a bit boring but Amy's vocal lines on this track manage to keep me quite entertained.

===Oceans===

"Oceans" is not one of the tracks which really stands out instrumentally although guitar/drum work is good. Despite this it is one of the song that really gets stuck in my head because of the lyrics and vocals throughout the song which in my opinion are really impressive and enjoyable which is the reason that this is one of my favourites on the album.

===Never Go Back===

The eleventh track is called "Never Go Back" and is the opposite to the previous track in my opinion as it is one that really stands out instrumentally especially with the guitar work which is heavy throughout which I enjoyed. I do also enjoy the lyrics which are about the Japan disaster and Amy's vocals performs the quiet deep lyrics with power and emotion. I do have to say again that there is some repetition within this song but not as much as track 9.

===Swimming Home===

"Swimming Home" marks a good end to the standard edition of the album and a lyrical masterpiece that I think is about death and because of this the lyrics really stay with you and get stuck in your head. This song is a lot calmer compared to the other songs and has a more electronic influence that other songs. In fact this song is like nothing I have heard from Evanescence before and that is one of the reason I enjoy this song so much because it is something different but still has Amy's brilliant vocals.
'''(5/5)''''

That is the end to the standard edition of the album and a great one. The 12-track album is definitely a strong one and one that compares very well to their previous work and to other artists within the same genre. The album has also spawned very good singles and I hope that it may at least spawn one more in the future because of the quality of the album

==Deluxe edition==

So the Deluxe edition album has four extra tracks which are not included in the standard edition. Many people think that extra tracks are never as good as standard edition one but on this album this is not true with it consisting of four incredibly strong tracks.

===New Way to Bleed===

"New Way To Bleed" is the first of the four bonus tracks and starts them off very well. Its not my favorite of the four but a very impressive track especially instrumentally although vocals on this track are pretty great as well. This track has also been remixed for the very popular film "The Avengers" and is included in the soundtrack to the movie.
''''(3.5/5)''''

===Say You Will===

"Say You Will" is the next one which is again really enjoyable and one where the guitar work and vocals are brilliant together. I think that the lyrics on this track and not as good as some of the album which is a disappointment but a good track.

===Disappear===

"Disappear" is by far the best of the four extra tracks with the use of piano and guitar work really standing out on the track. It is hard to understand why I love this track so much but it is one where pretty much everything about it is incredible and one I listen to every day.

===Secret Door===

"Secret Door" is the end to the 16 track album and it ends on a high note. This is the track which is really different from the others and the reason for that is Amy's use of the harp throughout the song which is her new found talent. I think that the harp in this song makes it a really calming end to a brilliant album.
''''(4.5/5)''''

==DVD==

If you have purchased the deluxe edition you will receive a DVD with the CD. The DVD was a great watch and good edition to the deluxe edition with videos from the What You Want video filming, photo shoots, the studio and Amy Lee explaining all the songs. These things in my opinion were worth paying a bit extra to buy the deluxe edition although I especially enjoyed the part where Amy Lee talks about the songs as it gives you a new insight into them and from it I have listened more to the lyrics of the song to see the meaning of it because of watching that part.

Also watching the studio footage on the DVD was also very interesting because you see how the album came together and how the band really are like while recording and I learned more about why the producer was changed and why the album was released later than it was said too. Overall the DVD is a really good edition to the album and really entertaining and interesting thing to watch once you have finished the album and I would really recommend getting it.

==Cover/ Inlay Design==

The cover design is the same on both editions of the album and is the bands name written in their usual font and is quite mysterious which is quite effective with 'waves' (I don't know to describe it but look at pictures below) of colour lighting the band name which I think visually looks awesome. The name of the album is also written at the bottom in very faint font spelled backwards which adds to the mysterious effect. I think it really represents the whole band because the focus of the cover is just Evanescence unlike the previous two album where the covert has been a picture of Amy Lee.

The standard edition is in a normal jewel case with a lyric booklet whereas the deluxe edition is in the form of a digipack to hold the two discs. The cover on the digipack is shiny unlike the standard one with makes the cover look really cool and effective really brings out all the colour within it. Also when you open the digipack you see the main promotional picture for the album and this really drills in that the album is about the band and not just vocalist Amy Lee. The only small criticism for the deluxe edition case design is that both cd's fit into two slits in the digipack instead of being secured in like a jewel case. Because of this the cd's are more prone to scratching and can easily fall out which could cause damage to the cd.

Both versions also contain a lyrics booklet and both a very similar, the only difference between the two is that the deluxe version has more songs in it as expected. The lyric booklet contains full lyrics for the songs unlike some booklets I have seen before and also feature the many promotional pictures for the album which I love.

==Value For Money==

The prices for the album on amazon are as follows: Standard - £4.99 and Deluxe - £13.39 which seems like a big difference but the standard editions price has been dropped recently so the gap is bigger but the price for the 12 track album is very cheap and for a great product by a great band so you cant really go wrong. The deluxe edition is obviously going to be more expensive but in my opinion the price is reasonable and worth the extra things you get with it. Overall which ever version you get I think that you will have spent your money well and you will enjoy it.

==Overall==

Overall this is an album that really represents Evanescence and the talents that the bands have and therefore I see it as a must listen. Obviously it will not be everyone's cup of tea because of the genre but I would recommend this both to old fans of the "Fallen" era and people who many not have listened to the band before because the musical talent on this album in my opinion is outstanding and hopefully you will not be disappointed. Please take some of your time to listen to this album because I have to say it is one of my favorite albums of all time passing all of the bands previous work and hopefully if you hear it you will see why.
on 16 August 2012
So ive had this album for quite some time now and have listened to it many times since i have had it and so i thought id review it finally so...

On the plus side its good to hear some new stuff from this band since the last album came out half a decade or so ago and the material is very good, Its been well written and has lots of the typical sorts of sounds and vocals you would expect from amy lee and the band and many of the songs will be replayed by many people because of the amount of melody and catchiness they have in them but i wont name specific songs as that's something you choose due to personal preference.

The only down side to this album which has been noticed by alot of people and said about in other reviews ive seen and if you haven't heard any of it yet will notice straight away is the really quite poor production, whoever mixed this album doesn't really seem to know quite what they are doing it seems to be all over the place and in parts most if not all the instruments and cancelled out by the drums leaving you with quite a messy sound.
I think if the production side of this was done by someone else and done alot better then this would easily have been a 4 maybe even a 5 star review but because of this fact i only give it 3 mainly because in some places during songs its almost not listenable but dont let this put anyone off its still a really good come back album nonetheless.