5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy revisit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Remaster of a remaster not the master, 5 July 2012
D. M. Taylor "Dunctay" (Greater Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quadrophenia (Audio CD)
i will brief this is a remaster od the 1996 version so is still missing various sound effects and is not then taken from the maater tapes . Packaging is nice with clearer art but thats all that is clearer the music has been tweaked with some odd sounds on 515 coming to the fore whilst the drums are muffled as is the guitar. Those expecting a revelation will be disappointed. Stick with an original vinyl copy or if you can find one the original german polydor cd which remains the best sounding digital version.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the remastered sound?, 30 Nov 2011
Mr. R. Powell (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quadrophenia (Audio CD)
I've got to put my twopeneth worth in on this one. I've had the 1996 release for some years now and was completely unfamiliar with the album when I first bought it, but quickly came to recognise the quality of the album. Full of great songs, better than 'Tommy' (IMHO)and it sounded great as well. I've had varying experiences with remasters over the years (Who hasn't?)and wondered whether or not to buy this one, but in the end I succombed and forked out the readies for it. I've got to say I'm somewhat disappointed. As the title to my review suggests I cannot hear any difference, and believe me I've tried, and if you've got to listen that hard is it worth buying for a second time? The Pete Townsend demos are interesting without being essential, you won't feel any great desire to revisit them that often. If you've already got the 1996 release then my advice is wait until this comes down in price. Oh, and one last thing, it's still a classic album!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy revisit, 20 Nov 2011
J. Milner "jcmilner" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quadrophenia (Audio CD)
Touted by many as the last great Who album (I disagree - The Who By Numbers is that one for me) this really must be listened to as a whole to appreciate the amazing work of art that it is. The sheer creativity alone is worth the admission fee. I'm always amazed at how something like this can be created but if you look at the evolution of the Who up to this point you can appreciate how remarkable Pete Townshend had become not only as a songwriter but as a storyteller. Quadrophenia beats Tommy in the respect that it portrays a way of life that was recognisable. Of course, it's not necessary to know the stories behind the creation to appreciate the music. In today's climate of airbrushing, pro-tooling and autotuning it is easy to forget the ability of the musician. Alone they may not be up to much (none of the Who could ever really admit to making a classic solo album although Townshend came close) but put the parts together and you have a potent mixture that quite simply just worked.
We've been here before in terms of releases. The 1996 remaster was remixed. A subtle remix, yes, that certainly lifted elements of the mix that had perhaps been buried due to the style of production of the time. The majority of the Who's catalogue was remixed around this time and although it was done respectfully I was alarmed that they discarded the originals. I have to admit to being worried that the loudness war would strike again and hearing that Jon Astley was in charge also concerned me as he has been responsible for the destruction of several artists' repertoire over the years (Abba, Judas Priest, Boomtown Rats). However it was apparent immediately, as the waves crashed across the stereo spectrum, that the sound was pure. The fact that my volume control could be turned up considerably without having my eardrums shredded was proof that the music has been treated with the respect it needs and deserves and that the listener has been granted the right to choose their own volume level. All credit to Jon Astley for a terrific job. Maximum dynamic range equals maximum enjoyment of the music and how pleasant it is to actually get the feeling of the music instead of having to fight to hear it. Proof that CDs CAN sound good when prepared correctly.
If you're hesitant about buying this as a replacement for the 1996 version then don't be. They actually sound like different albums, both relevant. But this is the purest and best sounding issue ever and the most rewarding to listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album BUT !!, 28 Nov 2011
Michael Boyle "Mickey" (Essex ,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quadrophenia (Audio CD)
I had some spare vouchers and waited eagerly for this re-release.Firstly de-luxe editions now have no de-luxe packaging just a annoying sticker labelled deluxe instead of the plastic wallet which keeps everthing together(the same was done with the kinks re-issued deluxe editions)we are spending money here and expect better.Now the sound difference to the 96' version is hardly if at all noticable to my ears and the demo's are poor and add nothing to the album.I took the cd back and have started to enjoy my 96'version again and what the re-release has done is make me listen to this fantastic record again.If you already own Quadrophenia there really is no need to shell out again if you do not already have the album then buy with confidence the music is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A special album for my 500th review, 24 Nov 2011
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Quadrophenia (Audio CD)
I thought that I'd celebrate my 500th review on Amazon by reviewing my favourite album of all time, probably the only one that I know all the lyrics and every musical squiggle and squonk on. Yes indeed let my add my voice to the chorus of praise for Quadrophenia. The words "classic" and "masterpiece" are often misused - but they are not in this instance and I would go even further to call this album "quite literally the best piece of music ever released". The new edition is better than the original as a listening experience as well, clarity and precision have been added with no diminution of power especially on tracks like Dr Jimmy (How much do I like that track? - I'm swooning as I type). This is just Soooo good.

However there is a fair bit of extra "baggage" attached to the re-release and the question is; is it worth getting the 2 disc version or even the bumper super deluxe one?. Well the fact that this review is on the 2 disc version gives away the answer. This is a Must Buy, not just for fans of the Who but also for fans of rock of all ages as this is and was a truly momentous release, up there with Sgt Pepper, Led Zep IV and never Mind the b*ll*cks as era defining and as the BBC review re-printed above suggests hasn't aged a bit. The relevance of the subject matter is as true today as it was in the early 70's when this was originally released or the 60's when it is "set" or in any decade before or since. Teenage "angst" has never been as well described as on this album and many of the issues documented here are as pertinent now as then.

Although very much Pete Townsend's album, I believe it has more of his vocals than any other album, they other 3 excel here as never before. Listen to John Entwhistle's bass and his peerless brass arrangements; Moon has never been more exuberant yet strangely disciplined as well, and Daltrey's voice reaches new heights. This is emphasised by the demos included in this package which are decent enough songs in their own right but lack the something "extra" the full band effort brings to the party.

And whilst I'm on about the demos whilst they are interesting in a completist sense, and serve as a record of the creative processes Townsend went through they don't add much to the package in their own right. By this I mean you'll probably listen to them once or twice but I am sure you will re-visit the actual album a lot more and that is what gets the 5 stars from me.

As for the super deluxe set it is interesting to read Pete Townsend's essay, but once read are you likely to read it again? Yes some more demos are interesting and one can admire the photos, but at 70 quid? Sorry not for me. I'll stick to the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars as valid today as it was then, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Quadrophenia (Audio CD)
Stunning grand opus from the pen of Pete Townsend, dissafected youth, drugs, booze, fun and tragedy. great songs, powerfull and delicate in the same breath, iconic tunes evoke life and dificulties as it was for young adults in any era, not just 60's I had not heard this album for 30 years, but knew every word as if it was yesterday. recommended listening for anyone who has ever felt left out by society and wants to be recognised.

5.0 out of 5 stars quadrophenia, 10 Feb 2013
A must for all quadophenia fans. The extras are worth the money. If you don't have this album you need to get it as it is one of the best albums ever made.

3.0 out of 5 stars a bit underwhelming, 8 Dec 2011
This review is from: Quadrophenia (Audio CD)
having bought the original album when it first came out, couldnt help but be disappointed by the dlx edition's version of the original b/w book- it's exactly the same as the 96, wouldve been nice to have these iconic and wonderful shots treated a bit more like the works of art they are (Universal also fell down on the packaging reissue of another iconic b/w cover-Exile on Main St);as to the music (oh yeah) the sound is definitley sharpened up, but i expected to be bowled over by John's bass leaping out of the mix. It really goes to show as with the mid-90s reissues of Tommy, Live at Leeds, they were amazing recordings to begin with and can only be improved upon so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
supreb

5.0 out of 5 stars Quadrophenia ,a way of life, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Quadrophenia (Audio CD)
Had to replace this , quite simply the best concept album ever made , outstanding piece of music from start to finish , the demo's are outstanding aswell
a must have for anyone's music collection

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Quadrophenia
Quadrophenia by The Who (Audio CD - 2011)