4.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the sequel, 26 Jun 2013
R. B. Harkess "Rob H" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Six Against The Stars: Book 1 (The Six Against The Stars duology) (Kindle Edition)
I almost decided not to like this book, but - perhaps because I was stuck on an idyllic Aegean beach - I persevered. I'm glad I did, and I am even prepared to forgive it being the first part of a duology.

Six against the stars is 'old school' SF, with a disparate and mis-matched group of heroes on a quest to solve a mystery that is going to reward each of them with their life or their freedom. What kept me going was the depth of the characters, despite them sometimes seeming to be parodies of their archetypes.

I liked the story, which I thought stayed light and mobile

The only MAJOR downside is that you cannot, apparently, get hold of the second volume except in a double-priced omnibus edition, which seems fairly daft as I dont really want to pay for the first book twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but don't buy this version, 23 April 2012
This is a good sf story. It's set in the far future. There's a backwater earth, which has largely opted out of galactic affairs. The scenes on earth are great fun, with genetically modifed creatures and humans, and a Moorcock 'Dancers at the End of Time' feel. The story moves off planet, and this is also well done. There's a McGuffin which the characters are pursuing, a talking, sentinent reference book, a martian manhunter and life forms that are spread across three bodies.

There are numerous references to other SF, and it's entertaining trying to work out what reference is from what source. This is unobtrusive, and wouldn't get in the way for new SF readers.

So, why shouldn't you buy it? Because the book ends abruptly, and it's intended to pull you in to the second book - which certainly worked as far as I was concerned. The problem is that the book, at the time of writing the review, is only available in two forms: Book 1, priced at £1.98, and the two book set, priced at £3.96. Fair enough - two books cost twice the price of one book. On Kindle at present, however, you can't buy Volume 2 on its own. So, if you like the book and want to read book two, you need to buy Book One again!

This is probably an oversight, but it means that, if you think you might like this book (and why else would you buy it) then you'd save £1.98 by buying the two book set instead of buying the first book, and then buying the two book set!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, very sharp, 11 Jan 2012
A really good read, the sort of book that makes me glad I got a Kindle.
Well written, new technology is introduced without endless reams of specifications.
Characters are good and humour is excellent.

Will be buying part 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Six against the stars, 9 Jan 2012
Bookaholic (Huntingdon, England) - See all my reviews
Again yet another introduction to a new author for me from the freebie site. I see that this book is an oldie and it is as fresh now as it was then and this book was easy to read, humourous and fast paced, yes I would read the book 2 in due course.