Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 October 2011
This is to me an album I kind of thought would not ever come. It is such a distillation of everything I find so amazing, so breathtakingly wonderful because of its courageous intensity and fragility in everything Carla Bozulich touches. I am overwhelmed by most things I listen to made by her or involving her, because she has a magic way of creating with her miracle of a voice and her poetry of music making a place that I somehow feel like I have been before but never, or almost never, in this raw, this uncontrollable but yet very focused way. To me a lot of songs by or with Carla Bozulich are events. They are the exquisite moments in my collection of music which I do not want to visit too often because they are so brilliant, so close to an intensity I can relate to, I ration them a bit. In that way every single time I hear it I am home. The album "In Animal Tongue" is that home all the way. The energy that seeps through different cracks in the music is like different trains just waiting for some passenger to come aboard so someone can look through the windows of that particular window out at that particular landscape. To be that passenger feels so privileged.

To experience music made by such adventurous and great musicians like Evangelista with their many guests is superb. And the trains pass through different platforms where someone wants to show what is lost but not gone, what is in shreds but not burned to ashes, this is intimacy asking for a ticket and entering this life, this moment in the shape of music so generous it feels like it is dreaming about itself while it is moving along, the sources are definitely natural, wild and untamed, an essential humanity reaching for its potential and achieving it, then giving it away as this gift of energy, this music. I had really high expectations to this album. I was blown away by it. It is everything I hoped for but much more than that as well. I could go on and on about it but it will be too much. I only hope with this small review to have made you curious enough to check it out and experience it for yourself. It is just so unbelievably good!
on 8 June 2015