5.0 out of 5 stars Out of nowhere this gem of an album appeared
I'd heard of Leonard Cohen and I like his music. Adam Cohen I hadn't heard of until a very good friend said we were off to see him live next month. So I checked out "Like A Man" on Spotify.

Published on 5 Oct. 2011 by Team McLaren

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice album, but don't expect too much
Published on 24 Dec. 2011 by Gerrida

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of nowhere this gem of an album appeared, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)

Sat at home on a peaceful Sunday evening I pressed play and let the opening track fill the air sounding very much like Nick Drake. The guitars and the strings. Sometime later I'd listened to the album all the way through, three or four times. It was one of those albums. Beautiful.

"What Other Guy" is typical of the lyrical and musical content of this album, but also of Adam's voice. But it's an album (and not just a couple of singles with some filler) and you really do feel the need to play it from start to finish. A welcome surprise discovery for me, and it can be for you.

It reminds me a little of Lloyd Cole, Rufus Wainwright and Jeff Buckley. But his voice is unique and the feel of the album is his own.

I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Top tip though, listen to it at home on a good stereo with little background noise. It really doesn't work in the car at 70mph!

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice album, but don't expect too much, 24 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)
As much as I wanted to love this latest and best work so far from Adam Cohen, I have to confess that I was a little bit disappointed. I really would have liked to hear better lyrics, just one song which reminded me of the greatness of his father, just one moment to connect emotionally or spiritually with the son of Leonard Cohen. But for me there is nothing that special.

Not that this is a bad album by any means. "What other guy" is a good song, and so is the title song. "Sweet Dominique" and "Matchbox" are quite charming. Many of the others are fine to listen to a few times, but I do not feel the need to keep playing them. The little booklet inside contains only the necessary product information, no lyrics or interesting notes.

Hopefully this album will do well. Maybe I'm just too old to really appreciate the work of the younger Cohen. He's got the talent, I'm sure as time goes by he will get well-known and much-loved all over the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adam Cohen, beautiful album, 17 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)
I am a long time Leonard Cohen fan, loving his poems and songs to the point of obsession Now I feel the same process starting again, with Adam, his son. I have 3 other albums of Adam's, along with his band, Low Millions, all of which have songs which I really love.
Like A Man is romantic, sexy, passionate, sensitive, observant and I find that one playing is never enough! The lyrics are not as poetic and mysterious or allegorical as Leonard's, but then Adam isn't Leonard! A few Leonard Cohen purists can't find space in their hearts for Adam, but a lot of us do....we recognise the accent, we love the melodic voice, we appreciate the charm and graciousness of his style, which he may owe to his father, and we are going to the gigs, and loving this CD.It is definitely wonderful appealing listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than A Chip Off The Old Block, 11 Oct. 2011
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)
Adam Cohen's father Leonard is a hard act to follow; a veritable
giant among giants and it is in many ways impossible to think about
one without consideration for the other but this need not trouble us.

Adam Cohen has more than enough talent as a singer/songwriter to
stand steady on his own two feet and face the listening multitude.
'Like A Man' is a lovely album; a recording to be truly proud of.
There are ten songs in the collection; the mood is low-key and
reflective. Mr Cohen's voice lacks the rough edges of his progenitor;
it is a mellifluous instrument, dark brown and very mellow in tone;
a voice to ease us towards slumber on long, cold winter evenings.

The arrangements are sympathetic and uncluttered; the backing vocals
well-organised and soulful, which allows Mr Cohen to stand forward in
the mix and shine securely. All-in-all the project is a real pleasure.
Although he barely breaks a sweat throughout we are left with the
impression of an artist fully in command of his not inconsiderable gift.

The album opens with a beautiful number, 'Out Of Bed'; a sleepy song
with an enchanting melody and words which partly belie the feelings
he is trying to communicate; a curious admixture of love and longing.
The economical use of strings adds to the mood of ambiguous emotion.
'Matchbox', too, plods along gently in its own time, delivering some
wistful but acute observations about the nature of a new romance.
The title track, 'Like A Man', is a real highlight; a grown-up story
in which Mr Cohen considers his own reflection in life's mirror and
concludes that, among his kind, he may, indeed, be worth knowing!
The bitter-sweet lyrics of 'What Other Guy' make it yet another strong
contender for top track. The double-bass, organ and guitar accompaniment
frames one of our host's finest and most laconic vocal performances.
The spirit of Paul Simon seems to be smiling quietly in the wings during
the enchanting 'Girls These Days' and and in 'Overrated' Mr Cohen decides
that love may be worthwhile after-all despite the many risks involved!
Final track 'Stranger' will strike a chord with anyone who has tasted loneliness.

Mr Cohen needn't worry about his old man. There's more than enough talent
on offer here for us to know that walking in your father's footsteps
need not be an encumbrance to making one's own way forward in the world.

Highly Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but don't love it., 2 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)
I adored Adam Cohen's first album (self entitled) it was raw, angry, and in parts, incredibly sweet. It brought up a huge amount of emotions each time I listened to it. After rediscovering the album recently, I bought this one to see if it was as good.
If I hadn't hesrd his first album, I know I would love this, but this album isn't anywhere near as deep lyrically as the first and I felt disappointed. I love 'What other Guy', 'Girls these days' and 'Like a Man' but the others just don't do anything for me. I don't feel much in the way of emotions when I listen to this album. I'm glad he;s obviously happier than when he wrote the first album, but I can't love this as much as I want to. It feels shallow in comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNFORGETTABLE, 30 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)
Having seen the live show in February 2012 I couldn't wait for the cd to arrive.
It was one of the best live shows I have experienced and the cd has captured the mood of the evening brilliantly. Adam Cohen has the most incredible silky smooth voice and the song lyrics ( including some of the more corny rhymes (the boy you fist kissed / the perfume on your wrist !!!! )) are so memorable.
Having been a fan of his father .. in my younger days .. I was not sure what to expect. But Adam, although of a similar style to his dad, stands as his own man, singer, songwriter and tallented musician. An excellent albumn - memories of an unforgettable evening.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Okay, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)
Not quite as good as I had hoped - bought as I heard and loved one of the tracks but the CD only followed through 70% for me. Not sorry I bought it though - what I call a keep in the car CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars His fathers son., 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)
So different from his legendary father but showing that he has inherited the talent. The genius of Leonard Cohen will manifest itself in time in Adam Cohen. This is the evidence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some works, some doesn't, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)
I bought this as a bit of a shot in the dark, having read some positive reviews. There are three or so tracks that live up to my expectations but for me the others were so nearly there but just missed having the spark that would have made them special. Was it worth getting? Yes on balance and I will carry on playing it as I've found in the past that my verdict may well change with time and familiarity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adam Cohen, 31 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Like A Man (Audio CD)
I have been very impressed with Adam Cohen so when I saw he had a new C.D out I immediately ordered it.

Like A Man
Like A Man by Adam Cohen (Audio CD - 2011)