Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 October 2011
Some of these discs alone would stand the price you pay for the pack...

This is one of the best offers ever made for any fan of rock, progressive rock and music lovers in general.

Images and Words was a breakthrough album that back in 1992 changed the history of Rock/Metal genre. With wolderful melodies, complex but intriguing arrangements, this is THE album that set Dream Theater in the Pantheon of Progressive Rock Industry, and redefined the progressive genre in general, inspiring dozens of bands that followed the pattern.

Awake was the incredible follow up, that had a darker and more powerful sound, but still it was an awesome disc, a great match to his predessessor...

Falling Into Infinity is the least complex and the most commercial release of Dream Theater, having the most accessible songs and melodies, yet it does deliver the same magic as all the other albums.

Scenes from a Memory is the second disc that is considered a Masterpiece for the band, after Images and Words. What can be said for this album? It is the most coherent, melody driven, breathtaking storyteller to date. It is the one album that once you press the play button, be prepared not to stop listening until all 77+ minutes are being played. Masterpiece is too poor of a word to describe it...

Train Of Thought is an incredible album that was written in just a couple of weeks or less, with the intention to capture that great feeling Dream theater have playing live and playing powerful songs. So here it is, an album of wonderful, complex melodies (when you hear it, it will be impossible to believe that all these melodies and structures and orchestrations etc where written in less that 2 weeks, but that is the story of Dream theater composing greatness). Power, in your face metal, yet full of great melodies.

All in all, this pack is a great offer, even for people like me it is too hard to resist. After all, even if I own all the albums in it, I will buy it and have it given as a gift in people I admire the most. what a great gift that will be for your collection or your friends...

Go buy it, its a no-brain bargain.
66 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 April 2013
I knew very little about Dream Theater before this purchase but they came highly recommended. Reviews I'd read mentioned that they were "progressive" so I was expecting a slightly heavier version of Pink Floyd/Marillion so I was surprised when downloading these discs to see iTunes put them in my library as "Metal". Put simply, this band cannot be pigeon-holed and their progressive/metal sound is unlike anything I've ever heard - an eclectic Queensryche with more keyboards maybe? I can't believe I've only just discovered this lot. I will certainly be buying further DT CDs. This purchase was well worth the gamble - 5 excellent albums for less than 12 quid!
on 10 June 2014
I must admit that I got into this rather late in their career. However this package represents excellent value, if like me, you are interested in their back-catalogue.
The band are very heavy, but can really play their instruments and this collection is good review of how they have evolved through some of their earlier material.
Good solid heavy rock music - hard to beat anywhere.
on 20 May 2016
As you'd expect from the spelling, this is an outfit from the USA, and while this doesn't exactlty pigeonhole them, it does give anyone new to the band a fair idea of their specific take on "progressive rock" -- guitare and vocal based, with elements snatching back to the "classic rock" genre of the 70s and 80s (Bad Co, Dio, Rainbow, etc). There's not a lot of mucking around in atmospheric introductions, stuff usually gets going from the word go, with an anthemic feel always bubbling in the background, which would make them an up-to-date version of the original USA prog bands like Kansas and Journey. They tend to steer away from what we in the UK would see as "concept prog", but this is good stuff nonetheless, and this selection great value for anyone looking to expand musical horizons. Classified as "metal", this has actually done them a favour in exposing them to an audience that prefers loud, low-brow music -- if you recall, it didn't do the Nephilm any harm at all when Our Price Records stuck them in with Pop/Rock.
on 12 April 2013
Loved Dream Theater since 'Images and Words'. Most of all they can pull all this stuff off live AND make it look soooo easy, unlike bands such as DragonForce. Don't give up yr day jobs lads, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree still have the monopoly over Awesome technical playing...
on 13 January 2013
I bought this collection without ever having heard much of their music. 5 cd's for this price is incredible value. The real bonus is that the music is very good. One of my better purchases of recent years.
on 6 September 2013
This compact pack contains 5 superb progressive metal albums by one of the most accomplished bands you'll find.

I personally hate CD jewel cases and prefer the nice LP style cardboard sleeves the CDs are contained in.

This 5 album set is a total bargain and would be worth buying at twice the price.

If you want to give this genre of music a try then you'd do worse than risking your money on this superb set.
on 2 November 2013
I never got to replace my Dream Theater cassettes and had mp3 downloads which are no good in the car. This box set is a great budget solution and I thoroughly recommend this to all.
on 17 July 2016
Someone mentioned "Queenish" on a review here. I strongly disagree Queen comes nowhere near the expertise and fantastic sound of Dream Theater. This band has a style and sound of thier own and I believe no other band can mimick. Rock.on D.T.
on 2 March 2016
I big metal fan saw and got as it included five early CDs never heard bands metreal until bought octavarium love CDs not just the power ballads some great mutations like awake and images and and words but as play in car here awesome tunes to good not to play