Format: DVD|Change

on 18 August 2013
The story was an adult romance. We did not have to watch them having sex, or eating each others face off!!!
The acting was great (usually English movies have better actors then the U.S. A.)
on 9 July 2014
Even though it was not the best story, I really liked this film. I would have wanted more background of this exile Nigerian community in southern France, I found that fascinating. The characters were a bit complex and the relationships lacked depth, however I was totally swept away by the most captivating colourful surroundings and fabrics. It's a treat for the eye. Nia Long was stunning as well.
on 31 January 2013
Hats off to Colin Firth and Nia Long for their performances in this hidden jewel! I adore this movie because it gives us rare insight into a culture that you'd be hard pressed to find in Hollywood filmmaking. The script is exceptional; the cinematography is flawless and the characters are beguiling. The young actor that plays Sammi is absolutely beautiful.
on 23 August 2013
i'ts very funny and it's good family viewing and it was enjoyable to watch and t the clothes of Nia Long and her family were beautiful to see Elizabeth
on 8 June 2014
easy to watch & a good story line enough to keep you watching to the end of movie & its happy conclustion
on 24 December 2014
I loved this movie. I played it twice the same day that I received it. The scenery is beautiful. The acting is great, and the chemistry between the main characters is excellent; and little Sammy is adorable. I highly recommend it.
on 24 July 2013
I would recommend this to Colin Firth fans, unusual story, good acting, easy to watch, loved the characters Mark, Nime and Sammy.
on 29 October 2011
I adore Colin Firth so it pains me to caution against buying this DVD, but this is not due to his performance because he was brilliant as always. But even he could not save this film. The script was a mess and the cliche-ridden director of the piece kept dunking it in an awfully gluey-mess of patronizing contradictions. This must be Firth's only collaborative disappointment in Film.
“The Secret Laughter of Women” is a romantic drama (with a touch of comedy) from 1999. It was released on DVD in 2011. Here are some basic facts about it:

** Directed by Peter Schwabach
** Written by Misan Sagay
** Run time: 95 minutes

The cast includes the following:

** Colin Firth as Matthew Field
** Nia Long as Nimi Da Silva
** Fizzy Roberts as Sammy Da Silva
** Ariyon Bakare as Reverend Fola
** Caroline Goodall as Jenny Field

I do not wish to spoil the viewing for anyone, so I am not going to reveal too much about what happens in this movie. I can tell you that it takes place in the south of France. I can also tell you that one of the two leading characters (Matthew) is a white man from Britain, while the other leading character (Nimi) is a black woman from Nigeria.

When you start watching this movie, it will probably not take long before you can guess how it is going to end. What you do not know is how we are going to get there.

“The Secret Laughter of Women” is a charming movie, but beneath the funny surface it is not really serious. It got mixed reviews. On IMDb it has a rating of 63 per cent, which is quite good, but on Rotten Tomatoes it has a rating of 38 per cent, which is quite low.

Here on Amazon it has also received mixed reviews. At the moment there are more than thirty reviews of this movie. More than ten go all the way to the top and offer five stars, while more than ten go all the way to the bottom and offer only one star.

I cannot go all the way to the top. The movie is not good enough for that. On the other hand, I cannot go all the way to the bottom, because it is a colourful story. In every sense of the word. Therefore I think I have to settle for three stars.

PS. Misan Sagay is listed as the author of the screenplay for the movie Belle – a drama-documentary that premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2013.
on 19 September 2015
I stuck with it, several times wondering why, but that's why I awarded two stars as there was obviously something that kept me going. But, with some tighter writing and some different casting, this could have been a really good film. There was no chemistry between the two leads, sorry but Colin Firth played the same character as in Love Actually (the writer who falls in love with his Portuguese housekeeper), some of the acting was very stilted, there were too many cliches and the rather thin plot jumped around. With fewer characters, more understanding of the relationships and the culture, the film may have worked for me. I like to care about the characters in a film or a book, and really couldn't with any of them here. Colin Firth is such a great actor, why did he choose this?! It is colourful to watch though, lovely costumes and scenes, obviously no violence, shoot-outs, car crashes etc - that's one of my stars - plus you do get to watch Mr Firth trying to act with this light script and plot - and that's my second star!