5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic and Delicious Persian Cuisine

1.0 out of 5 stars bad layout
Published 17 months ago by md

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic and Delicious Persian Cuisine, 24 Sep 1998
By A Customer
I bought my copy of this book years ago at a gathering of folks from the Society of Creative Anachronisms. I have an Iranian friend who makes great chicken Fesenjan with that amazing rice (chelo) with the crispy stuff on the bottom (tadeek), and I wanted to be able to do so myself. Well, the Khoreshe Fesenjan recipe and instructions on making Chelo helped me get there (along with several years of practice)!
If you are looking for a great source of all those delicious persian dishes you may have had in a restaurant or at a friends house, or are just looking to try a new style of food, In a Persian Kitchen is the book to buy.
Each recipe is introduced with a story about the food or Maideh Mazdah's childhood memories, and the instructions are thorough and easy to understand.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad layout, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: In A Persian Kitchen: Favorite Recipes from the Near East (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time one of my Kindle books has been a disaster. The font and layout are completely wrong to read on a Kindle. First off the font size was way too small, which isn't a problem as you can change the size, right? Wrong! By making the size of the font bigger, the space between lines increases. So all of a sudden there are 3 lines per page, which makes reading a recipe nigh on impossible. Lists of ingredients are randomly scattered about the page. I guess I should have checked before I bought the book, but as said before, I have not encounted this problem with any of my other Kindle books. It seems that whoever transcripted this did not check it on an actual Kindle. But if anyone has a solution, that'd be great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 11 July 2007
This book simplifies one of the most interesting styles of cuisine in the world. We adore Iranian or Persian food, and the recipes are very healthful, limiting fats and oils in the diet. Yoghurt is essential in Iranian cuisine, and this book has a chapter dedicated to it. 'In a Persian Kitchen' is a beautifully-designed little book which would make an interesting gift for someone interested in Iranian/Persian food. If you are looking for glossy photographs throughout, then this is not the book for you!! The recipes are truly authentic as I am told by those in the know. There are simple ways to prepare rice,all explained in a 12-page chapter, and an authentic recipe for Baglava, which is actually the author's mother's own recipe. The flavouring is quite different to similar pastries made in the same way, because of a subtle use of cardamom.
In a Persian Kitchen was originally published in 1960, and it even has a special section on menus for every occasion. It is very helpful for preparing Persian food easily in a Western kitchen.

I keep this book in my kitchen, not in the bookcase! Need I say more?

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 28 Dec 2011
My parents brought this book with them from Iran in the late 60s and it has been used by our family ever since. Very good, clear, authentic recipes. I would recommend to anyone who has not cooked Iranian food before.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NOT JUST A COOKERY BOOK . . ., 5 Mar 2011
J. Nosrati (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book back in 1997 as I was married to an Iranian and it seemed a good way to get to grips with middle eastern food. The book itself is lovely, and contains not just recipes but also short stories / memories from the author. Dont be misled into thinking this is a book of hot curries -it is not. The food is flavoursome and easy to cook, and is not too spicy. Back in 1977 many of the ingredients were not commonplace;in fact we had herbs and spices posted to us from Iran!!However, now everything is available in the high street or from middle eastern stores I will always treasure this book -it feels like a family heirloom !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommend, 28 Jun 2014
Very well written and excellent recipes. Brilliant.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Traditional Iranian cooking?, 12 Feb 2014
I bought this book for a friend to introduce them to Iranian cooking. Once I looked at the recipes I realized that they would think Iranian food rather odd. I see that Maideh Mazda has never lived in Iran and seems to know nothing about Iranian cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent selection of recipes, 20 Dec 2013
Alison Towers - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Love this book. Very good and varied recipes so redolent of the middle east, one can almost smell the heat and spices of the bazaars and tiny eating places with their rickety old tables and stools. The rice dishes with crispy brown crusts and lamb and vegetable stews with the highly scented spices are my absolute favourites. A great selection of wonderfully tasty recipes at a very reasonable price.