5.0 out of 5 stars extremely funny
What a wonderful collection, gently poking fun at translations of English sentences which, whilst almost/technically accurate, completely ruin the meaning. You probably either enjoy this sort of humour or you don't. While some might see it as an arrogant and unfunny attempt to poke fun at people from other countries (whose language we couldn't even begin to speak), I...
Published on 17 Oct 2009 by H. Seymour

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing start, but gets lost in itself...
This book popped up in my Amazon recommended list so I scanned the search inside pages and thought some of the lines were amusing but I decided to skip buying it thinking it to be a "let's slag off Jonnie Foreigner's poor English" type book but later I received it as a gift so I got it after all!

My preconceptions about this book seemed to be allayed initially...
Published on 17 Sep 2009 by b4-its-2-l8

3.0 out of 5 stars Laughter is good medicine, wherever you come from., 21 Jan 2010
R. Nicholson-morton "Nik Morton" (Alicante, Spain) - See all my reviews
An amusing collection of misused English by foreigners and also English speakers (ie English and American). Some are very funny, others less so, and a few even make you think. Barbershop in Tokyo: All customers promptly executed. Cafe in Empire State Building, NY: All our eggs made with 3 omeletes. (Think about it). Chinese sign in park admonishes: Little grass is smiling slightly, please walk on the pavement. (I like that sentiment). Of course, I'm sure that English-speakers attempting to write in a foreign language will make just as many nonsensical errors and raise a laugh in those foreign countries. Laughter is good medicine, wherever you come from. By all means start at the beginning and work your way through, but do it over a period of time or the concept and content will pall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only OK, wouldn't recommend, 30 Aug 2009
T. Quirke - See all my reviews
This is a funny enough book but its not something that you're going to come back to over and over again which is what you really want for this type of coffee table book. A diverting book for a hour or so. I couldn't really recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars side splitting, 12 Jan 2009
I got this book for Christmas from my cousins - I made the mistake of taking it to bed with me on the evening of the 25th. I laughed so loudly that the neighbour in the flat above me banged on his floor (my ceiling) to get me to shut up. I tried reading some examples out to friends but couldn't get the whole way through the sentence - it is really great - if you can imaging a mixture of laughing, snorting, crying and dribbling - that is what happens whe you read the book. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars SIGNS OF THE TIMES, 13 Nov 2007
M. Drake - See all my reviews
The English language is a wonderful instrument for the communication of ideas and instuctions - this book demonstrates the misuses and abuses of English to hilarious effect - not to be read in company unless you can cope with the stares of citizens outraged by your outbursts of laughter!

Mick Drake author of the comic novel All`s Well at Wellwithoute.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in Boredom, 20 April 2009
Not sure what else I expected; for sure there are some very amusing howlers but after a while they begin to blur and merge into one and eventually irritate. I'm sure the Chinese et al would have much fun with the tables turned!!

Something to dip into for 5 or 10 minutes at a time and not to be taken too seriously. I don't think many would want a second edition!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, 6 Jan 2010
B. Mackay (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a quirky dip in and out - typical bathroom - type book. My brother-in-law - extremely difficult to choose gifts for - advises that he finds it highly amusing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a laugh, 25 July 2014
Amusing, good for the loo 😃

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not a novel but a collection of fun sentences, 16 Aug 2009
Juan Jose Martinez Siguenza (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm Spanish, and sometimes I've found funny translations in different tourist areas in Spain. One of the best is: "little toad to the iron" (found in a menu, it's a fish called 'fishing-frog', actually grilled). That would be a nice example to be included in this book.

English it's not my first language, but yet I had a fun time reading the different quotes of the book.

The main downside of the book it's that don't expect a novel here, it's just a collection of sentences clustered in different topics (travel, cooking, sings, etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 July 2014
As described

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY AMUSING, 2 Jan 2012
Mrs. T. Vert (France) - See all my reviews
I REALLY ENJOYED READING THIS BOOK. SOME OF THE TRANSLATORS ARE SO WRONG. BEING A TRANSLATOR MYSELF I CAN REALLY SEE HOW SOME OF THE MISTAKES HAVE HAPPENED