5.0 out of 5 stars Nice (really) short story...
Have read all the Jack Reacher novels and eagerly awaiting the next one, came across this mini story, which turns out to be a nice little back story of Reacher's family.

It's nice to have a snapshot into a characters previous life, and adds some depth to the new books.

Published on 26 Aug. 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been included as backstory in the next novel!
Published on 16 Aug. 2011 by Jappa

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice (really) short story..., 26 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Second Son: (Jack Reacher Short Story) (Kindle Single) (Jack Reacher Short Stories Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Just be warned this is a super short read, ie/ I downloaded around 9pm, and was finished by around 11pm - and that was reading in my iPad!

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been included as backstory in the next novel!, 16 Aug. 2011
I am a great fan of Lee Child and Jack Reacher - but I was greatly disappointed by SECOND SON. I expected it to be a novela at the price but this, although containing some insights into the character we love, really could have been included as back-story in one of the existing novels, or the next one. I feel we already have a well rounded view of Jack Reacher's background/motivation and this is not only unnecessary, but blatant merchandising. I for one certainly don't want to see a spin off series of Jack Reacher as a kid - the adult version is much more interesting. Well written, as to be expected, and I will still be buying the next in the real series - hoping that it will make up for this. I think it should be clearer that this is more of an insert than a book and the price dropped accordingly to avoid readers' disappointment!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm. Bit of a disappointment., 30 Sept. 2011
Amazon Customer (N Yorks and France) - See all my reviews
The 3 stars because I'm a Reacher fan and this adds to the character. If this were a stand-alone short story it would be worth maybe 2 stars. I'm guessing Mr Child found himself at a loose end one afternoon and decided to knock out a shortie for some pin money. But at least he knows how to tell a story and, for fans, it is an interesting diversion and goes some way to putting a little more flesh (if needed) on Mr Reacher's character.

Unless you're a committed Reacher nut there might be a better home for your 89p.

2.0 out of 5 stars JIMBOB59, 4 Dec. 2011
THE BOOK SECOND SON BY LEE CHILD WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT TO ME AS AN AFICIONADO OF LEE CHILD AND PARTICULARLY HIS JACK REACHER BOOKS.

I WOULD HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT IT WAS WRITTEN TONGUE-IN-CHEEK ONE WET SUNDAY AFTERNOON. WITH REACHER HE PUSHES OUR BELIEF IN AND ACCEPTANCE OF LOGICAL THOUGHT TO THE BOUNDARIES. BUT TO ACCEPT SUCH FROM A YOUNG TEENAGER WHEN ALL ADULTS AROUND HIM APPEAR TO BE " GORMLESS" AND ACCEPTING THIS ARMY KID'S LEADERSHIP AND INSTRUCTIONS.
SORRY, JUST UNBELIEVABLE.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay short story!, 6 Sept. 2011
This is an okay short story. No more or less than I expected. I did dither before buying and almost didn't bother as not in to short stories. However at .89p thought might as well give it a go.

Can't say I was disappointed, but on the other hand was not excited by it either, sort of somewhere in between.

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad it was cheap, 23 Sept. 2011
I have to agree with some of the other reviewers, the depiction of a 13 year old given in this book is a little difficult to swallow. Reacher acts like an adult, but with nothing to explain why such a young child might have developed so. Intuitive detective skills, strategy, and guile. Would have been nice to see Reacher the child, as opposed to Reacher the adult in a childs body. Despite this, can't help but enjoy Childs writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little taster!, 28 Aug. 2011
Knowing it was going to be a short story, I didn't get my hopes up too much. I was just excited about having a little Reacher taster before the new book comes out. I wasn't sure how well a teenage Reacher would come across but i was left very happy with this little insight at Reacher growing up, his relationship with his brother and especially with his father, who we have never really learnt much about through all the Reacher books. I am left hoping that Lee Child will go further with the younger Reacher and his family as i think there could be some interesting storyline there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thirteen going on thirty-five, 20 Oct. 2011
Mr. Joe (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
SECOND SON is so short I finished it during my forty-five minute lunch break. Happily, it's a cheap read; I paid more for my pizza slice.

Here, it's 1974 and thirteen-year old Jack Reacher joins his mother, older brother, and Marine officer father as they move to Okinawa for Dad's new duty assignment.

Thirteen? More like thirteen going on thirty-five. Even at this early age, there's no indication Jack had (or is having) a normal childhood. If Jack's age hadn't been stated, the reader could just as well assume it was his same adult persona featured in the previous full-length novels.

The plot is vintage Reacher as he takes on solving the problems of others and beating up those bullies that cross his path.

SECOND SON may have seemed like a good idea at the time to author Lee Child, but its execution came out reading somewhat silly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Short but good, 9 Oct. 2011
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I am not sure what I was expecting from this having read all the previous Jack Reacher stories. Although I liked it I was surprised that it was set when Jack Reacher was so young. It did however solve some of the mysteries as to why he acted as he did when an adult which was probably due to his upbringing. It also gives interesting information on the relationship between him and his brother which had been explored more fully in one of the full length novels. As it is such as short story I will not give any of the plot away however it is a Worthwhile (and cheap) read to get some of Jack Reachers background.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun tale but very, very brief, 19 Mar. 2012
Mike Renshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a very short tale from Reacher's childhood - he's a teenager and the family has just moved to a new base. It all felt very realistic aside from the fact that his parents and brother all call him by his surname. It centres around 2 things going missing and the Reacher family involvement in that. The story is very brief and almost a Reacher Lite novel. There were a couple of funny bits in the book - one made me laugh out loud, but otherwise it's straight forward read that is over very quickly.

It's worth 99p and maybe nice to see a few more of these at different periods in the family life