5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, brilliant series!
It's great to own the COMPLETE series on DVD, the transfer to disc is of high quality...plus it takes up the space of only half of one of the VHS box sets!
If you enjoyed the series when it was first broadcast in the early 1990s then you'll love this set. All episodes are included in this set: Series 1, Series 2, Series 3 and BOTH Christmas specials. There...
Published on 1 Dec 2005 by Iceni Peasant

3.0 out of 5 stars Darling Buds of may
What can I say great program but I am sick of having problems with disc 3 part 2 it just will not play at all I have 5 DVD player in the house & a blue ray player as well as a PS3 and still disc 3 will not play on any of them so I made a back up copy of disc 3 & it works fine in all DVD players in the house I have had this problem with ITV discs before I have sent one box...
Published on 30 Jan 2010 by Gizmo

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous, 2 May 2009
I remembered first watching the Darling Buds of May when it came on tv when I was a kid, and remember that I loved it back then, and seeing it again now as an adult - I still love it. I don't think there's much not to like about this series - for me, every episode uplifts my mood and I find them heartwarming. I love all the different characters, and think they all work really well together and the storylines are always so well thought out. I love also that it's set in good old Kent. :) Highly recommend this series to anyone. Even when it's raining where you are, it will brighten up your day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Set, But Flawed, 13 April 2008
Paul Jones (Sturbridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great set containing six discs of the entire series. Disc 1 has an audio commentary, which reveals some interesting facts such as "Ma Larkin" actually being a vegetarian in real life and "Charlie's" hair being dyed.
The only downer for me is the fact that the shows are spliced together. Being a completist I have to admit to being disappointed, but by the third disc however, it's like they gave up and we suddenly revert to a 2 part episode.
Still, it's worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Perfick' way to step back to the rural 50's...., 27 Dec 2007
J. R. Turner "Jenny" (Wales) - See all my reviews
Wallow in the nostalgia of the 1950s as Britain's best loved family are back in this celebration of love, family life and romance in the idyllic British countryside. Loveable rogue Pop Larkin (David Jason), Ma (Pam Ferris) and their six children, including the stunning Mariette (Catherine Zeta Jones) radiate happiness with hardly a care in the world! Whilst Pop's unconventional (and dubious) money-making schemes bubble along Ma nurtures the family and friends and neighbours from the warmth of her busy kitchen and life continues in a paradise of sunshine and happiness.
Series 1: The Darling Buds Of May / When The Green Woods Laugh / A Breath Of Fresh Air / Christmas Is Coming
Series 2: Oh! To Be In England / Stranger At The Gates / A Season Of Heavenly Gifts
Series 3: The Happiest Days Of Your Life / Cast Not Your Pearls Before Swine / Climb The Greasy Pole / Le Grand Weekend

5.0 out of 5 stars "Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May", 2 May 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
"And summer's lease hath all too short a date." from Shakespeare's sonnet XVIII

The "Darling Buds of May" is a 1991 TV series about a quite unconventional and flamboyant family in rural England in the 1950s.

While each episode is unique and fun to watch and actually picked up the series to see the early works of Catherine Zeta-Jones playing the part of Mariette the voluptuous daughter in the family. Little did I know that I would fall in love with all the characters.

I came to this series originally after watching "The Mating Game" starring Debbie Reynolds, Tony Randall, Paul Douglas, and Fred Clark, which is more of a PG comedy based on the same characters based on first book of "The Darling buds of May" written by H.E. BATES; which was written and set in 1958.

Series 1
1. "The Darling Buds of May" (7 & 14 April 1991)
2. "When the Green Woods Laugh" (21 & 28 April 1991)
3." A Breath of French Air" (5 & 12 May 1991)
4."Christmas Is Coming" (22 December 1991)
Series 2
1. "Oh, To Be In England!" (26 January & 2 February 1992)5. Stranger at the Gates
2."Stranger At the Gates" (9 & 16 February 1992)
3."A Season of Heavenly Gifts" (23 February & 1 March 1992)
4."Le Grand Weekend" (26 December 1992)
Series 3
1."The Happiest Days of Your Life" (28 February & 7 March 1993)
2."Cast Not Your Pearls before Swine" (14 & 21 March 1993)
3."Climb the Greasy Pole" (28 March & 4 April 1993)

Mating Game ~ Debbie Reynolds U.S. ASIN:6302641969

5.0 out of 5 stars A feelgood, family friendly classic series, 24 Mar 2008
The Darling Buds of May is a fantastic series featuring David Jason at his typical best. The stories have a real feel good factor about them incorporating a mixture of happiness, humour and fun. David Jason's portrayal as 'Pop Larkin' is superb, particularly during the dialogue scenes with Pam Ferris as 'Ma Larkin' and his interaction with some of the other supporting characters Edith Pilchester and "the General".

A particular highlight for me is the episode where the Larkin's take a holiday in France, Pop is mistaken as an English Lord; and ends with an impromptu party to mark the wedding anniversary of Charlie and Mariette.

If you're looking for some good family friendly drama you can't go far wrong than with the Larkins in "The Darling Buds of May".

5.0 out of 5 stars Potential problem, 4 Jun 2010
A. S. Hall (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I was concerned when watching the first DVD but, after doing some research, realise my concerns were due to a simple operating error. On the very first DVD, two titles are shown - "Darling Buds of May" and "When the green woods laugh". On most DVDs I own one can scroll through the choices and the selected one is highlighted in a colour. When I tried to play this the second title seemed to be the default and was highlighted in orange. When I scrolled to first title and played it still played the second episode. Thats where my problem was. The highlight colour is White and not orange. As soon as I realised that it played "perfic" I highly recommend this series which is from a bygone age of charm and innocence.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Darling Buds of May, 28 Oct 2009
Mr. M. G. Olney "Scifinut" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
One of the most wholesome series ever made, charming, delightful and totally idyllic. David Jason portrays the role with such ease and is complimented by the rest of the cast. Pam Ferris is the cuddly farmhouse mum, with a persona that could melt the coldest of hearts. I even found some episodes I had never seen before. I'll certainly be watching this again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle English humour!, 9 Aug 2009
I loved this series when it was first on TV, and after watching one episode which came free some time ago with a newspaper, I decided I had to watch them all again! It is a delightful English comedy with times when you have to laugh out loud - perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon!

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, 23 Mar 2009
S. Sullivan "Grandma Sue" (Kent England) - See all my reviews
H E Bates may be sentimental but I loved it.
1950's Kent, excellent acting by all the cast, even Oscar,and the sun shines a lot.
Catherine Zeta Jones pre Hollywood , David Jason and Pam Ferris looking as if they are enjoying every minute. Whats not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFICK ABSOLUTE PERFICK??, 4 Sep 2006
J. D. Marshall "john" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This is by far one of the best dramas from yorkshire t.v,they really gave these stories from the pen of the legendary H.E Bates the credit they were due.I,d never heard of H.E Bates till I was living in Australia and this great series started ,it really hit a nerve and me and the family were hooked,its so nice to see a family show of this quality,the casting was spot on,we all got rather melancholy regards to our home land and all returned to U.K so perhaps it worked its magic.I believe the show was also transmitted after the t.v coverage of Princess Dianas funeral..I can think of no other show that would lift the spirits of the nation after that tragedy.In memory of the great H.E BATES 1905-2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›