Format: DVD|Change

on 6 October 2008
I agree with the other reviews.. also wanted to say that all the episodes are there. I almost did not buy this when I read on a review that episodes were missing. They aren't missing. I checked the episode guide on numerous sites and it is complete.. Enjoy!
on 2 May 2009
I remembered first watching the Darling Buds of May when it came on tv when I was a kid, and remember that I loved it back then, and seeing it again now as an adult - I still love it. I don't think there's much not to like about this series - for me, every episode uplifts my mood and I find them heartwarming. I love all the different characters, and think they all work really well together and the storylines are always so well thought out. I love also that it's set in good old Kent. :) Highly recommend this series to anyone. Even when it's raining where you are, it will brighten up your day.
on 24 March 2008
The Darling Buds of May is a fantastic series featuring David Jason at his typical best. The stories have a real feel good factor about them incorporating a mixture of happiness, humour and fun. David Jason's portrayal as 'Pop Larkin' is superb, particularly during the dialogue scenes with Pam Ferris as 'Ma Larkin' and his interaction with some of the other supporting characters Edith Pilchester and "the General".

A particular highlight for me is the episode where the Larkin's take a holiday in France, Pop is mistaken as an English Lord; and ends with an impromptu party to mark the wedding anniversary of Charlie and Mariette.

If you're looking for some good family friendly drama you can't go far wrong than with the Larkins in "The Darling Buds of May".
on 13 April 2008
This is a great set containing six discs of the entire series. Disc 1 has an audio commentary, which reveals some interesting facts such as "Ma Larkin" actually being a vegetarian in real life and "Charlie's" hair being dyed.
The only downer for me is the fact that the shows are spliced together. Being a completist I have to admit to being disappointed, but by the third disc however, it's like they gave up and we suddenly revert to a 2 part episode.
Still, it's worth every penny.
on 27 December 2007
Wallow in the nostalgia of the 1950s as Britain's best loved family are back in this celebration of love, family life and romance in the idyllic British countryside. Loveable rogue Pop Larkin (David Jason), Ma (Pam Ferris) and their six children, including the stunning Mariette (Catherine Zeta Jones) radiate happiness with hardly a care in the world! Whilst Pop's unconventional (and dubious) money-making schemes bubble along Ma nurtures the family and friends and neighbours from the warmth of her busy kitchen and life continues in a paradise of sunshine and happiness.
Series 1: The Darling Buds Of May / When The Green Woods Laugh / A Breath Of Fresh Air / Christmas Is Coming
Series 2: Oh! To Be In England / Stranger At The Gates / A Season Of Heavenly Gifts
Series 3: The Happiest Days Of Your Life / Cast Not Your Pearls Before Swine / Climb The Greasy Pole / Le Grand Weekend
on 4 June 2010
I was concerned when watching the first DVD but, after doing some research, realise my concerns were due to a simple operating error. On the very first DVD, two titles are shown - "Darling Buds of May" and "When the green woods laugh". On most DVDs I own one can scroll through the choices and the selected one is highlighted in a colour. When I tried to play this the second title seemed to be the default and was highlighted in orange. When I scrolled to first title and played it still played the second episode. Thats where my problem was. The highlight colour is White and not orange. As soon as I realised that it played "perfic" I highly recommend this series which is from a bygone age of charm and innocence.
on 9 September 2011
I missed this series when it was first shown and I am thoroughly enjoying it now. The only complaint I have is that there isn't a "PLAY ALL EPISODES" button on the main screen as I almost missed the second part of "When the Green Wood Laughs" ( the episode with Ma & Pa in the bath and the wedding!!)
When you watch the first episode "Darling Buds of May" the FIRST part of "When the Green Wood Laughs" follows immediately so you think you have watched the whole episode!
You MUST go back to the main menu and select "When the Green Wood Laughs" to see the second part of this episode.

Anybody who has complained that the series is incomplete has to follow the above instructions.

A thoroughly entertaining series but due to the above the DVD is not entirely "perfick."
on 28 October 2009
One of the most wholesome series ever made, charming, delightful and totally idyllic. David Jason portrays the role with such ease and is complimented by the rest of the cast. Pam Ferris is the cuddly farmhouse mum, with a persona that could melt the coldest of hearts. I even found some episodes I had never seen before. I'll certainly be watching this again and again.
on 9 August 2009
I loved this series when it was first on TV, and after watching one episode which came free some time ago with a newspaper, I decided I had to watch them all again! It is a delightful English comedy with times when you have to laugh out loud - perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon!
on 4 September 2006
This is by far one of the best dramas from yorkshire t.v,they really gave these stories from the pen of the legendary H.E Bates the credit they were due.I,d never heard of H.E Bates till I was living in Australia and this great series started ,it really hit a nerve and me and the family were hooked,its so nice to see a family show of this quality,the casting was spot on,we all got rather melancholy regards to our home land and all returned to U.K so perhaps it worked its magic.I believe the show was also transmitted after the t.v coverage of Princess Dianas funeral..I can think of no other show that would lift the spirits of the nation after that tragedy.In memory of the great H.E BATES 1905-2005