Format: DVD|Change

on 14 November 2013
I have only watched the four Mallen films so far.I wanted to see why reveiwers were complaining of poor quality with these.As they were i believe filmed in the seventies the picture would be slightly below par compaired with the more recent ones.If you run them in a blue ray player the picture is very good indeed and will enhance the quality.I need subtitles with my poor hearing and these on films are perfect word for word. I look forward to watching some more which i am sure will be great.Marvellous value for money.
on 6 May 2015
Delightful, I enjoyed every DVD in this series but then again I've always been a Catherine Cookson fan. The filming is excellent.
on 17 June 2015
I LOVE all things Catherine Cookson! The movies don't always follow the books, especially the ends, but I still enjoy both.
on 7 January 2013
Love these films and most really good quality and I am very happy.
However by the time I got round to watching 2 of them I had thrown my receipt away and discovered they wouldnt play at all so disappointed about that.
Would recommend a quick check of all discs when received.
on 17 October 2014
My mum has played these so much, I'm surprised they haven't worn out. It's a great gift for anyone who appreciates Catherine Cookson. Great present! Great seller! Thank you!
on 1 October 2012
Absolutely loved this box set. The only disappointment was the first dvd of The Mallens. The sound quality was very poor and the acting seened almost like pantomime. I am glad I persevered because I became really absorbed with series 2 and 3 and thoroughly enjoyed them. While I have been watching these wonderful Catherine Cookson stories being acted so well, I have loved every minute.
on 13 January 2012
I absolutely love these series of Catherine Cookson DVD's - I would be happy to more than recommend them to my friends who I am sure would enjoy them as much as I have. These stories give you an idea of what it would have been like to live in the past in early last Century in England - I love them when the bad guys get their comeuppence and the good guys reign supreme and a happy ending is assured. I first saw an episode on television and knew then that I would have to rush out and buy the series for my ollection.
Was very happy with price and service from Amazon and order varrived much sooner than anticipated
on 2 May 2016
These stories are thoroughly good: a little predictable after you've seen a few - but well constructed, vigorous, and very-well acted by good casts. There are racy, violent and sexual elements, of course, but these are never gratuitous; they are entrenched in the necessary structure and characters of the narrative and carry conviction. In so many films these days, sex and violence are seen almost as required ingredients and are often nothing more than add-ons, concessions to the general demand that the thirst for these things be satisfied. In Cookson's novels, they arise out of the raw, tough environment in which she flourished and in which most of her stories are located. This is good, honest, credible drama. I have now watched nine of the films and have not fallen asleep in any of them ( scarcely blinked at times ) which is, for me, a record. There is beauty in them, too - both natural and human - much tenderness and some genuine nobleness.
on 27 January 2013
I must confess I used to see Catherine Cookson dvds on the shelf and think she was light weight like Barbra Cartland, but she really is quite gritty and much more like a Geordie Dickens. First class writing and 1st class acting and scripting of some not so great times.
on 21 June 2012
The price reflects the quality - not the best. The sound is quite distorted on some of the earlier episodes and the picture quality is murky. Also, the series was filmed in 4:3 size, so become misshapen on a wide screen tv.