5.0 out of 5 stars Rayman Origins. A Diamond in all the Rubbish.
Published on 26 Nov. 2011 by R. Woodcock

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
so-so
Published 2 months ago by Mohamed

5.0 out of 5 stars Rayman Origins. A Diamond in all the Rubbish., 26 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
The current generation of video games and consoles have left me slightly cold as of late. Having been a gamer most of my life, I have recently become a little disenchanted by what has been made available to us these past 5 years. In the PS2 days all I wanted from the next generation was improved graphics, faster load times and more of the same with what I was playing all ready. Instead, the current generation has become swamped with endless loading screens, unskippable business logos, constant firmware updates, and DLC offers on the day of release. I feel I spend more time waiting these days than I do actually playing.

Thank the heavens for Rayman Origins. I have been waiting years for a game like this. With very little loading times, the game starts you off almost immediately and it is quite simply a joy to play. It looks stunning too. Origins is a simple 2D traditional platforming game. There is no online multiplayer to speak of. Instead the game encourages you to play the traditional way; with friends and family around you. It's the type of game I grew up with and the kind of game I want to see more of in the future.

My concern is that people will overlook this title in favour of the same old same old we've been getting every year for the last 5 years. You all know what I'm talking about. Get off your Call of Dutys and Battlefields. Take a break from post apocalyptic sandboxes and play a game that deserves to be played.

I'm not a reviewer. I find it difficult to express what I think of a game or how best to explain what it is about. But I felt the need to let people know about this game. It is a release that has been met with critical acclaim that's at risk of being overlooked by the big name games you have all played before. Rayman Origins deserves your time, and it deserves that you give it the time to play both on your own and with your nearest and dearest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 27 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
Why not buy this game? Go on buy it. Its stunning, hilarious and a quality game. Don't know what to say. I will refrain from comparing it to Little Big Planet because they are completely different and there is nothing like it at the moment. This game is best described strangely enough as forward. You never go backwards its fast paced its exciting and more importantly a blast. All the hand drawn art is great and fits so well into the Rayman series. While I would of preferred a more Rayman 2 or 3 type of game; taking the series back to its roots was definitely a good idea. Its long enough to be worth the money but short enough that you and friends can complete it without getting tired. There is tons of things to collect and do and will keep you occupied for a long time.

Worth a purchase by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy purist, 18 Dec. 2011
M. A. Lidis "theboylidis" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
Simple, beautiful, fun, engaging and memorable. All adjectives which as as 12 year old I would've used to describe Sonic the Hedgehog, Alex Kidd In Miracle World and Super Mario 3 - if I'd been cleverer.

20 years on those words are seldom appropriate for modern video (computer) games. Thankfully, they are perfect here. I don't play games to experience the thrill of shooting innocent human beings, I play them to escape to a world where my imagination has a chance to breathe. Maybe kids are smirking as they kill someone from distance in Call Of Duty, but the smile on my face playing this game is born from the joy of playing a game that reminds me why I fell in love with them in the first place.

It's not the new punk. It's not going to change your life. It's a platform game; just a very, very good platform game.

Granted, the fact this is a 2-D platformer released in 2011 owes a lot to Little Big Planet's existence and will undoubtedly draw comparisons, but this is a purists game. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2D platforming at its best, 6 Dec. 2011
possessed.by.a.lemon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
It's been a tough start for Rayman Origins after failing to chart in the midst of the pre-Christmas rush. Being sent out to battle against Mario and Sonic is a tough call for any platform star. Here's the thing, though. Rayman Origins gets my vote for platform game of the year. Buzzing with ideas, bursting with graphical splendour and charming with gorgeous sound, it's non-stop fun from start to finish.

In recent years, many of the best platformers have gone leftfield, with the likes of Limbo and Braid leading the way. Origins' rich humour and painterly visions provide a similar artistic flair here, but this is all backed up by a classic mainstream gameplay experience that can and will be loved by all the family, especially through the 4-player mode. Not that this means you'll enjoy it any less on your own as someone who grew up in the 16-bit Golden Age of the genre and wants to appreciate the finest love letter to that period going around today. I can vouch for that. (And, yes, I know Rayman is technically from the 32-bit era, but he was writing fan mail to the previous generation back then.)

Challenging but never unfair, Ubisoft has come up with some of the best pure platforming I've played in a long time. Origins has the smarts of Mario and, in places, the speed of Sonic. It also has perhaps the best underwater levels I've ever seen. There'll be no sighing like there is with Sonic as soon as you dive into the wet stuff, instead there will be awe. 'Swimming With Stars' is a tour de force of gameplay, graphics and sound combined, but only one of many highlights. Yes, there are the expected tropes of ice, lava, jungles, but that's what you want, especially when they come with the refreshing new twists and stunning HD layouts offered here.

There's nothing to fault. Reaching the end credits is an attainable goal, with better rewards to be found in going back and striving for completion. Trophies add much to the replayability as well. That's one reason to go with PS3 over Wii. Why I chose and would recommend it on Sony's console over 360 is down to the controller. For the most part I opted to use the d-pad, which is infinitely better on the PS3 controller and, as far as I'm concerned, the best way to play any 2D platformer. Using the analogue stick is a perfectly viable option, though, so if that's your preference, go for it.

Origins could have come recommended on graphics alone. It's the Donkey Kong Country of this generation. You have to play it if only to see it, but once you start playing, you'll soon realise the graphics aren't what's keeping you hooked. An essential experience once it enters your acceptable price range. Just remember, it's a joy to play and, really, that's priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic 5/5, 9 Jan. 2012
Jamie Collins "J@y" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
Rayman origins is a masterpiece i have been a fan of Rayman since PlayStation 1 as a small child and even now i am a lot older Rayman still brings back fun times from my childhood its an excellent written story and beautiful graphics and visuals. key features, it has over 60 levels and you can either play by yourself or co-op with up to 4 players. overall i would recommend this to anyone who has either played the old one or has a kid because they will love it 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars my game of the year... maybe, 21 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
Yes this possibly could be the best game i will play in 2012.In my opinion it is a well made game i cant think of a fault through out the game.Controls are spot on gameplay is spot on time flew by when playing rayman origins.Music i enjoyed quite a lot to im still whistling it now.The Graphics in rayman origins are bright bold and colourful very easy on the eye.This game is proper old school by the way it looks and plays and in my opinion that is a good thing bring back more games like this.My nephew who is 12 who loves his cod type games (shooting games) even he played it and enjoyed it whether or not he will buy a copy i dont no i was just happy someone who would never play a mario zelda type game with cartoon style graphics actually enjoyed playing rayman.To me that says something positive about the game.So overall graphics 10/10 gameplay 10/10 game overall yes you guessed it 10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
Having played the first 2D Rayman many years ago, I can honestly say this is a fantastic return to form.

I wasn't a fan of many of the 3D entries, having never played any beyond Rayman 2. This game is beautiful, SO MUCH FUN to play and at times will just make you laugh out loud. I already have the platinum trophy (PS3) and I still want to play it. There aren't many games I can say that about.

Also, it's a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who says side scroller games are a thing of the past?, 1 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
This game is brilliant! The visuals are absolutely stunning, for one thing, but the gameplay itself is just top notch. If you loved the very first rayman then you're going to love this, as it brings back well known aspects such as the caged electoons, and riding Moskito, but has also included plenty of characters and attributes from the newer rayman games, and at the same time is perfect for people who are completely new to the rayman franchise.
The game is basically a side scrolling game, but is so packed with action and slapstick humour, as well as plenty to unlock and do that it gives plenty of replay value. If you're not a seriously gamer, then you'll have enough fun getting through all the levels, but if you're a hard core player, then there's time trials to go through, unlockable characters and medals for getting enough lums in a level, which are tough and leave no room for error.
The game also allows for up to 4 player co-op play, but is just as fun and playable for 1 player.
I really liked rayman 1, 2 and 3, but I'm so glad they have made another 2d rayman game, and cannot recommend this game enough. Give it a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all the family, 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
Daughter aged 8 1/2 played this game at a friends and was hooked. Makes her laugh shout and giggle. Family friendly, colourful game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome Gaming, 13 Nov. 2012
M. Regan (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rayman Origins (PS3) (Video Game)
Please, please, please make more of these genre of games. It is quite simply awesome play, great graphics & the world of non violent gamers deserves more of this class :-)

Rayman Origins (PS3)
Rayman Origins (PS3) by Ubisoft (PlayStation 3)