5.0 out of 5 stars Here comes dessert, 18 Sep 2011
Yves Vandezande (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Mr. Frits [barn Doors Spring Tour 2011] (Audio CD)
While his studio album Barn Doors and Concrete Floors stands a 100% chance of being my Album of the Year 2011, Gripka gives us a chance to hear it here in a live setting as well.
Musically it doesn't stray very far from the studio takes of which most are here.
The only surprise comes in the last song, a cover of Neil Young's Revolution Blues.
Tight band, well played, well recorded.
My advice?
Get the studio album first and you will want to own this one too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A big new star, 15 April 2012
B. Andrews (west midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Mr. Frits [barn Doors Spring Tour 2011] (Audio CD)
Having been listening to music for many many years I get really excited when I find someone new that I genuinely like and Israel Nash Gripka is in that rare category for me. He is a great songwriter, with good words and good tunes. To me he is a combination of Neil Young meeting the Rolling Stones in their Exile On Main St era. In fact he include Neil's "Revolution Blues" on this album and sounds just like him!

The quality of the recording is great you can hear the acoustic guitar seperated from the electrics and as a vocalist Israel hits the notes and emphasises his lyrics. What I also like is that certain tracks sound better with his live arrangement (Baltimore and Red Dress) than they do on the studio album. It may be a bit of a formula but he rocks along, slows it down and then ramps it up again, but hey I like that. (It's the stuff Ian Hunter does so well).

So if you like that guitar based american rock with a countryish edge and good songs with meaningful lyrics, this boy's for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Barn Doors" Live, 14 Dec 2011
C. HOWE (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Mr. Frits [barn Doors Spring Tour 2011] (Audio CD)
I agree with the previous reviewer. This is an excellently crafted Live album and features mostly material from 'Barn Doors and Concrete Floors"
Whilst it remains a great live album , I would recommend buying "Barn Doors ...etc", first as it also has a 'live' feel to it and is a work of true genius.
On the plus side, it has to be said that this is pretty well flawless as a live album. Gripkas delivery is truly dynamic, particularly on the blistering version of Niel Youngs 'Revolution Blues'. It also includes the two stand out tracks from his first album 'New York Town'which have much more impact in this environment

Live At Mr. Frits [barn Doors Spring Tour 2011]
Live At Mr. Frits [barn Doors Spring Tour 2011] by Israel Nash Gripka (Audio CD - 2011)