5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Stones: Book 1
Published on 1 Mar 2012 by Reece Fantasy Addict

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's one reader who won't be getting the sequel.
Published on 1 May 2012 by Mrs. C. J. Eager

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Stones: Book 1, 1 Mar 2012
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
First of all, I love this book, it got me hooked from the beginning. I've read many fantasy books, from Lord of the Rings, to Harry Potter, to Inheritance and this is right up there with them in my opinion. I believe the first part of this book goes similarly to Eragon (Inheritance series) but with different motivations. As the story progresses though, the similarity with Eragon disappears yet it is slightly similar to the Inheritance series, yet by no means has it become an spin off to Inheritance. But all this is without criticism. I think the authors should find a different way of describing pain, as someone in pain would not say, and this is a quote "The rocks are burning hot! They're burrowing to my skin!" or " Augggh! Augggh! They're burning my chest!" I know there are not many scenes like this in the book, but it is something to work on authors. Still this is a brilliant book and I urge the authors to make a third book (because there is also a second book out). No book is perfect, but this came very, very close.

4.0 out of 5 stars formulaic but entertaining, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Don't expect anything new or ground-breaking with this book(dwarves = rugged and beardy, elves = aloof and arrogant etc), instead go in with wanting to be entertained and this will serve you well. The negative comments are on the writing style - and yes it's true, it's pretty simplistic and there is a bit of telling us rather than showing us, but I'm feeling forgiving of that since the formatting here has been done properly! While I don't think of myself as a grammar nazi, there have been plenty of ebooks where no proper care has gone into spellchecking and it wrecks the experience.

-spoilers-
One area where this book shines is the villain Vosper! He seems to have read the how-to guide of being a decent evil overlord. He enjoys torturing, but takes care to kill his victims (yes one rider/dragon pair slipped past him... but generally pretty thorough). He heeds the prophecy regarding his demise, and hunts down dragons everywhere. The hero of the story is alive due to a calculated risk: let rider/dragon and son live and gain a necromancer. Given how powerful the necromancers are said to be, I'd probably have taken that gamble. Forming an alliance with orcs (who eat humans) is a pretty bold move, but then who cares if some villagers die as long as he can take down his last enemies!
I don't know yet how this villain will be defeated, though I'm sure he will (remember this book is pretty formulaic). But Vosper's strength only bolsters Elias, who can only be as good and heroic as the villain is evil.

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's one reader who won't be getting the sequel., 1 May 2012
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The problem with this book is that it's too short. Not in the sense that I didn't want it to end, unfortunately, but in the sense that a longer book, (with more detail, with less telling us and more showing us) could have been a whole lot better. I ended up disappointed in the end. The story line is good and I agree with an earlier reviewer about being dumped into the world, and it's an interesting world. It's just that I felt that the whole thing lacked depth and detail. I could get no real idea of what the characters actually looked like. Well, obviously a dragon looks like a dragon, but what about the others? For me this is a major flaw, ranking alongside the lack of information about motivation and inner feelings. There's a lot of "and then he did this" but not a lot of substance.

1.0 out of 5 stars short, predictable, and reads like its written by a child, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
When I read the other glowing reviews comparing this favourably with Tolkien and Harry Potter, I thought that it must be quite good. Its not. In any way, shape, or form. It reads like its written by a teenager for their secondary school coursework. Who knows... maybe it was? Whatever, the writing style is so simplistic and tedious that verged on painful to endure. My head kept on wanting to add words and colour that text seemed so devoid of. The plot is utterly formulaic and predictable almost from the very start. Its a tired re-hashed story that's been so well worn that you needn't even read the book. Its not worth the few hours it takes to read it. It really is very short (think newspaper type of length). I kept on reading the hope that it was a joke or that there would be some cunning plot twist that made the few wasted hours even remotely redeemable. It wasn't and there isn't. Don't bother.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 9 Feb 2012
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Although this books starts with heavy similarities to Eragon it moves quickly into Lord of the Rings mode and becomes more interesting as a result. I'm a soft touch for these fantasy adventure stories and quite liked it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Similar to Inheritance, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I gave this book a 3 star...

It holds a lot of similarities to the Inheritance Cycle, which I did love.. so I felt a little awkward to start with.
However turns out... motivations are different and it's actually a good set up for the next book (which I've also read).

I loved the ending, didn't see that coming! And I am looking forward to reading the rest!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragon stones, 9 Aug 2013
RachyT (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
It's very similar to the Inheritance Cycle but still enjoyable. The book was a bit too short for my liking. I don't think I'll read the other books in this series...

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Stones, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Very Good Read - I have enjoyed the Trilogy - would recommend the book to others. Awaiting other books from the same author

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read for Fantasy Lovers, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A surprisingly interesting read to open a series of books, also surprising what a very economically priced read can carry for a writer i have not heard of. in writing the review i have read the first 3 books in the series all getting increasingly better

4.0 out of 5 stars a great read, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Dragon Stones (Dragon Stone Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A good and well thought out story with twisting plot and with a well thought out building of character. Love how the story build up with intensity, fast paced with intrigue and tension to give it a great punch. Looking forward to the next book.