4.0 out of 5 stars Nick Stone still going strong
Published on 2 Nov. 2011 by P. N. Hussey

3.0 out of 5 stars Stone needs to return to his roots and go it alone again.
Published on 17 Oct. 2011 by Fin Mckiernan

4.0 out of 5 stars Nick Stone still going strong, 2 Nov. 2011
P. N. Hussey "pnh77" (Haywards Heath, England) - See all my reviews
The latest Andy McNab novel picks up about 6 months after the previous one with Nick Stone living in Russia while his girlfriend Anna is off in war torn countries reporting on the violence being meted out. Stone is coerced into rescuing the ex-wife of one of his ex-SAS friends who along with her son and her Bodyguard have been kidnapped by Somali pirates. As with all of McNab's novels this is a pacy and well written novel that builds things to a suitably action packed climax. The ending is rather tantalising, especially as for what it could mean to the series as a whole. Darn good read and I don't think McNab has written a bad book in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 28 Nov. 2011
This book is classic Nick Stone, among the best McNab has written. Of course, nothing compares to Remote Control, which was ground breaking. However, Nick Stone comes here with new sides to his personality, and new priorities. I like it.

And; The last 100 pages I read in one turn. I couldn't stop. The action was too intense. I felt like I had been out for a run when I put the book down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still trusting the AK, 25 Sept. 2011
"'Allahu-akbar'
God is great.
Maybe. But so was the AK on my shoulder, and I knew which one I trusted more."

When I read this passage I knew it had be in the review, because it tells a lot about Nick Stone. Those who are new to the series get a good impression of his hands-on contribution to the genre. Those who know the series already find that he still got his skills, wits and sarkasm.
With references to the Arab spring, the Lybian freedom movement and the Fukushima incident, McNab's novel is a fast-paced and up to date read. "Dead Centre" is the logical successor to "Zero Hour" and occasionally refers to situations from previous novels, which are explained in the context though.

Nick Stone should be in his late fourties by now, and I get the impression that he starts to act his age: More and more, he takes advantage of his experience and moves into a consulting role, which does not mean that there is a shortage of action.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stone needs to return to his roots and go it alone again., 17 Oct. 2011
Fin Mckiernan - See all my reviews
I'm a mega fan of McNab's books. He's got a great writing style which is thrilling, gripping and witty. I eagerly await the new Stone books. I really enjoyed the last one after a bit of a wobbler with "Exit Wound" which I thought was too drawn out so I was really looking forward to "Dead Center". Like an other reviewer mentioned its good but its not his strongest. Firstly, I found it very drawn out, taking a long time to get to the point or the action. There is a lot of unnecessary and long winded descriptions and history lessons and a lack of real action and suspense until Stone arrives in Somalia, but he takes 2/3rds of the book to get there. The early Stone novels where so thrilling because they were very fast paced and loaded with action, this is where McNab's strength lies.
Secondly, and most importantly is that it's too easy for Stone. He has too many allies and powerful contacts that he can call on when he's in the sh1t. He always seems to have back up in this novel. Stone's meant to be alone, behind the lines, right on the edge, relying on his resourcefulness and adaptability to stay alive. This just isn't there in "Dead Center"and its the one of the main reasons the book falls short.
That said, its maybe McNab winding Stone down, taking a different tact in the process.
All that said a good read as usual. Still gripping. Still thrilling. I thought the ending was awesome, really unexpected and sets up nicely for a different take on the next Stone installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars McNab shows hes still in top form, 8 Nov. 2011
Dash Selvaratnam (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Centre: (Nick Stone Thriller 14) (Kindle Edition)
I'll keep this short and sweet as other reviewers have already covered the novel in great depth and with very good synopsis.

This is a great book in the series and I would highly recommend it to all who follow the Nick Stone books. To any of you who haven't read them I would advise going back to the beginning (Remote Control is the first book if memory serves), not just because you'll get more of the references but quite simply because it is far too good a series to be reading in the wrong order as I can guarantee you will feel the need to read more having read one.

McNab puts you inside the non-glamorous world of Nick Stone and shows you that no matter what Hollywood tells you, sometimes you just have to put your head down, run fast and hope to god they're not as good a shot as they think they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, easy read!, 13 Nov. 2011
This latest (14th) instalment of the Nick Stone series occurs not too long after the 13th novel. Nick Stone becomes more a more rounded and emotional individual (kinda like Jason Bourne). There are obvious references from recent world disasters as well as Black Hawk Down, which is briefly mentioned!

The first half of the book sets up the story, which feels very mainstream - almost like a James Bond movie. This is not a bad thing - it's different and an easy read. The last half is where the real action starts - this is more Black Hawk Down territory... However, there doesn't seem to be a sense of suspense or urgency.

The main ending is a bit of an anticlimax, and all "loose ends" are tied up - overall, a rather laid-back and easy read...

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from McNab, 15 Jan. 2013
Mousley (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've ready pretty much all of the Nick Stone Books and there's not a bad one amongst them, if this is the kind of writing that you like...It's well structured and reads very quickly and keeps you interested the whole time...one reviewer mentioned that they weren't fussed about the history and technical information that is put into the books, but I have to disagree - I would like even more of the technical and trail craft, along with history of special operations or government conflicts that aren't always portrayed accurately by the media, which helps to set the scene for various aspects of the book...

If Andy's reading this review: good work; keep 'em coming. please can we have more technical info, field skills, history and a bit more hand to hand combat - we all like it when the bad guy gets a pasting...as we had in some of the earlier books - can't remember which book, but I remember the fight scene - Nick against some huge monster (maybe russian), about to get lights out time, when he manages to lock his teeth over the big lads nose bridge...I'll not spoil it..you can go and read..

5.0 out of 5 stars McNab back to his best, 15 Mar. 2012
P. F. Yardley "Paul" (England) - See all my reviews
After finishing the previous Nick Stone novel "Zero Hour" I was coming to the conclusion the series was getting a bit long in the tooth, good reads but no surprises. "Dead Centre", however, has reversed that trend. It's bang on fast paced exiciting and unpredictable story that takes the reader on a whirlwind trip from Russia to Somalia via London, Hereford and Bristol. McNab has a wonderful knack of transporting you to far away places and dumping you right into the heart of the action - very much a "show not tell" author. There's also modern history lessons smuggled into the text that really do help you understand the scenerios you find yourself immersed in which is interesting and relevant.
Of course I would recommend this book, a good story, but mainly because of its realism and descriptions of the cultures places it takes you to. You know the author's been there and done it he tells you exactly how it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dead centre. Nick Stone, 26 Oct. 2013
Mr. Haydn Martin "Hadyn13" (Dersingham, Norfolk PE31 6HW) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Centre: (Nick Stone Thriller 14) (Kindle Edition)
I did not like this book. REASON "no action at all" my taste is for more action not build up
Hadyn Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dead Centre: (Nick Stone Thriller 14) (Kindle Edition)
Another amazing Andy McNab novel. Great read and can't wait for the next instalment in this thrilling series of books.