5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing - on more than one level
This book is written by two people who really seem to know their subject. They provide what seems to me to be a really well argued and informed thesis for why we should adopt a low-carb lifestyle. I had to go over some of the technical bits more than once but in general the book is a good read, I finished it in three sessions. I also found it very useful in taking me...
Published on 31 Jan 2012 by C. Hilder

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs patience
At the time of purchasing this book I was a protein diet convert (I have since slightly altered my position, believing there are certain cases when carbohydrate reduction rather than elimination is better). However having read two other books on heavily reducing carbohydrate consumption and a lot on the internet, I felt I was ready to understand some of the history,...
Published 12 months ago by Supanova

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must, 2 Jan 2014
A thorough insight into Low Carb living, weighing the pros and cons scientifically but presented in a way that is easy to understand. It is also a credible piece of evidence to shove under the nose of your doctor before he has you embark on a life of dietary advice that is built on shaky foundations and pills you don't need.

Also recommend "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by the same authors for those who want to pursue a low carb approach to sport.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and useful, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (Kindle Edition)
A low carb diet has revolutionised my life and there aren't many great books about it - this is one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit geeky, but the message is clear and consistent, 30 Oct 2013
As I'm into this sort of stuff, I enjoy the science and research that this book goes into - it will put some people off, however. The message is clear - cut down your carbohydrate intake! It has had beneficial results for me and the swcience in the book is utterly compelling if you can follow it. EVERYBODY should read this and take this message on board - it is so important, and this book proves why. Very highly recommended if you can stick with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Oct 2013
I knew it was true that I could control my diabetes without drugs. I just didn't know why. This has explained it all and steered me in the right direction to refine my diet and stay healthy.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 2 Oct 2013
A lot of science, but also a lot of straight forward, here's how it works. I'm more educated than ever, more challenged, more ready to get it done.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 13 Jan 2013
I have followed a low carb diet for some time now and found this book a useful addition to the ones I already have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Essential Message but patronising writing, 30 Dec 2013
"Rather than starve they probably decided with some reluctance to accept the indignity of a meal consisting of just meat and fat...after which our ancestors stumbled around in the dietary darkness until the development of modern agriculture brought us a dependable supply of carbohydrates"

It is hard to determine whether the speculation about our palaeolithic forebears is tongue in cheek or not. I very much doubt whether there was any reluctance at all, most likely celebration at having obtained an excellent meal. The presupposition that our forebears were completely primitive and did not understand what they needed nutritionally to survive is patronising in the extreme.

It is also amazing how much extrapolation about the state of mind of pre-historic peoples one can apparently make from the fossil record!

If, as another reader has discovered, the only worthwhile nugget is that an increased sodium intake is required in the early stages of a low carbohydrate diet then Gary Taube's book Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It (Vintage) by Gary Taubes Reprint Edition (2012)is more worthwhile.

I also find it hard to accept the hypothesis that crafting a sustainable low carbohydrate diet for most people is a tricky thing. I would be far happier if the authors were proposing that a little common sense goes a long way. After all the current diet dogma has only been in existence since the 1950s. People managed without expert advice from nutritionists before then, and can again now provided they are prepared to cook food themselves, rather than depend on manufacturers to provide ready meals for them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extortion, 20 Jan 2012
This book is 3 times the price of the US edition. Although this book seems to have a few new ideas and information about the importance of maintaining this diet and such things as the role of sodium in a low carb diet, given the price I'd suggest Barry Groves's Natural Health and Weight Loss as a reasonably priced and informative alternative.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›