5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing - on more than one level
This book is written by two people who really seem to know their subject. They provide what seems to me to be a really well argued and informed thesis for why we should adopt a low-carb lifestyle. I had to go over some of the technical bits more than once but in general the book is a good read, I finished it in three sessions. I also found it very useful in taking me...
Published on 31 Jan 2012 by C. Hilder

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs patience
Published 12 months ago by Supanova

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect guide, 30 Nov 2012
D. Eastwood (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (Kindle Edition)
This book has all the information you will need to start on a low carb diet. Wether it's for weight loss, to cure conditions you may have or to prevent yourself from becoming overweight and ill, Dr's Volek and Phinney go through all aspects of the low carb lifestyle with all the backup information you'd expect from interested healthcare professionals.
This book also addresses the concerns that family doctors may have about low carb and so would be a useful learning tool for them to educate themselves so they can be of more help to those who choose this diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Book, 21 April 2012
I read this because of a blog post by Michael Eades (author Protein Power books) where he talked about it being the best low carb book in print. I wasn't disappointed as this book fleshes out all sorts of useful aspects of a low carb diet which I had not understood even though I have been low carbing off and on for more than a decade. So buy the book (kindle edition to save cash) and read it. At times this is not an easy read but it is worth it for a more complete understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, 29 April 2012
I came to this book via the blogs of Dr. Michael Eades and others.

In essence there has been a school of thought for many years now that asks the fundamental question, "given our efforts at exhorting people to reduce fat etc in our diets how come populations across the world are becoming fatter and heart desease and diabetes rates getting worse"?

Additionally Dr Eades has, through his own patient studies, identified that blood pressure and cholesterol levels can be managed better through diet (permanent diet not temporary).

The issue identified and explained by this book is that over the years our diets have included too much carbohydrate, and in particular carbs that are ingested into our bloodstream at too fast a rate. Our processed foods contain high levels of sugar in one form or another - this causes blood-sugar levels to rise and the body reacts by pumping insulin to counteract that. This "spiking" of insulin, according to the authors, can lead to the problems mentioned above.

This is my very simplified explanation of the issue. As I suffer from high blood pressure and cholesterol levels I have been prescribed medicines to counteract this including statins. Having come across concerns about the long-term use of statins I resolved to try and deal with the medical problem via diet if possible.

So, back to the book.

This book arises from a peer-reviewed study published by the authors and is aimed mainly at members of the medical profession encountering patients with these medical problems. Having said that they state, quite rightly in my opinion, that the layman would also gain tremendous value from reading the book. Certainly there is some technical discussion in the book about the physiological issues of this topic and some of it I had to read more than once to get a better understanding. I have no medical background but I would say I could follow a good 90% of the technical discussion. I find the logic of the argument compelling and indeed have embarked on the diet change having discussed it with my GP. I have also stopped taking the statins!

It is not a "quick no-effort solution" as it requires a permanent adjustment to one's dietary habits but I recommend both the logic and certainly the book to anyone affected by these issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent read, 6 Feb 2013
It was the explanation and instruction I needed to get started with the ketone-thing. I feel empowered throughout the whole day and I no longer feel tired in the midafternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 17 Jun 2013
_andy (South Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
i had already bought the authors book on low carb performance but wanted more information. i found this book to be clear and concicse, yes there were some terms and phrases which were a little over my head but in general i could understand the processes. overall a very interesting read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and balanced views on low carbohydrate science., 17 Feb 2013
I read the Barry Groves book before this. i wanted a book which is a bit more balanced and less 'manic' in its opinions (not that I didn't think Barry's book is a good read and certainly changed my views on food science and the food industry). It's a good reference book and well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Feb 2013
Very insightful. Definitely food for though (pun intended). Would definitely recommend to all those who are contemplating a low carb "lifestyle" or who need to refine their existing one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs patience, 27 Mar 2013
At the time of purchasing this book I was a protein diet convert (I have since slightly altered my position, believing there are certain cases when carbohydrate reduction rather than elimination is better). However having read two other books on heavily reducing carbohydrate consumption and a lot on the internet, I felt I was ready to understand some of the history, science and theory behind why this works. Unfortunately I found this book quite heavy going, like walking through treacle. I personally did not find any unique guidance on how to healthily adapt this diet to your lifestyle. I do think I am probably more focussed on tips and on how to get results, rather than the explanations. But for those who like the theory, this may be a good choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for science, but very little practical advice, 3 Jan 2013
If you're into science and debunking theories against low carb diets, this book is the one for you. A lot of the scientific information in it is very technical, but there is still a fair bit a layperson like me can understand. I'm sure I wouldn't have to look to hard to find a counterpart text that criticises all the studies on high fat diets as well.

While I knew this book was scientific, I was under the impression it gave practical advice on how to follow the diet. I was quiet disappointed when the only reference for an allowed list of foods was the author's other book The New Atkins which I will not be buying on principle! The final two chapters have a limited number of recipes and suggested daily meals for a month, a lot of them which sounded nice, but most of which didn't have any accompanying recipes.

This was not the book for me. I became quickly bored by the criticized experiments (a main problem is a lot were done for under two weeks before the benefits of low carb can kick in) and was after more practical advice. The information on sodium was interesting, if you're following a low carb diet you apparently need to be sure to get 5 grams of sodium daily to make up for what you naturally excrete from the process, but that was the main gem I took from this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Desparately needs Kindle Chapter Markers!!, 26 Jan 2014
I bought this book because I've read The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by the same authors, and having just completed my first week of low carb living, I am finding it very, very tough going. Strangely, given that I am a wheat/ sugar junkie who's been trying to kick both fixes for over a decade, I've not once been struggling with cravings. (This from someone who has to have several chocolate biscuits every single day, and who can sit and eat a packet of 6 rollo biscuits in the space of 15 minutes.) What I've really been struggling with is brain fog and lethargy, so I came to Amazon to see if I could find any more information about what to expect, which brought me back to this book. Several of the reviews led to me to believe that this book would provide me with the missing pieces of information I need- one in particular mentioned the 10 points in the final chapter, chapter 18, one of which addressed this issue. So feeling the need to find out more NOW, last night I bought the kindle version. Once I downloaded it, I discovered something that has never happened in any of my previous kindle books- I cannot scroll from one chapter to the next. To arrive at the information in Chapter 18, I had to go very slowly, page-by-page to get there.

This is a hefty, informative reference book with 275 pages, which I believe I shall refer to over the months and years ahead as I make the transition to a low carb life. I want to be fully conversant with the science of low carb eating, so I can explain to friends and family exactly why my choice is right for me (and is not dangerous!) While this book does give a fully comprehensive review of the science, if I have to flip through it page by page to get to any particular reference point then it is of absolutely no use to me. Subsequently, I'm just about to buy the paperback copy.

So, in a nutshell- excellent content, but limited accessibility.

So come on publishers (Beyond Obesity LLC)- get with it and add some Chapter Markers pronto!!

ARRAY(0xa809be7c)