Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 17 October 2011
I read the reviews expecting this to be a realistic portrayal of a gritty and grizzly area of Glasgow, but to be honest, it was a bit like reading an Edith Blyton story. The only thing which wasn't presented were the 'lashings of pop' to go with the cuddly and cosy tales of the 'tearaways' and 'vagabonds'.

I was brought up in the area in the 60's and it's simply not a true representation. The tales told are just polished up versions of what is commonly known and expected, and I sincerely believe half of them are made up. Some of the tales were cringingly embarrassing to have written. If a film is to be made of this, Dick Van Dyke would be the ideal main character, complete with his nice wee open razor. Cynical, but it was written like this.

Sorry to have bought this. I had hoped this would be a better read, but it was just a dissappointment.
77 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 December 2014
I'm not from the area, but I really enjoyed this, as did my partner! A fascinating glimpse into a childhood that was completely different to my own. Even though it was different, I really identified with the author when he said that he sometimes has dreams about the people and places that have long gone. I love some of the phrases and expressions the people used! Even though some very dangerous and frightening things happened, the overwhelming sense was one of pride and strength in the community. I felt very sad in the final chapter and started reading it again!!
on 6 December 2007
I have been reading books about the Gorbals for years but this is the best one yet! The author was brought up in Crown Street, where the fictional Johnnie Starke came from - in No Mean City, He has captured perfectly what it was like to live in what was arguably at the time the toughest area in Britain. The Real Gorbals Story captures the poverty the violence and the humour of the the 1960s. At times I became enamoured by the jaw dropping stories and many of the anecdotes had me a laughing out loud like a lunatic ( I had had people stare at me on the train as I read it on Kindle) No wonder it has been the Scottish number one best seller.
I have now read the Real Gorbals Story twice and loaned a printed book to friends - one of them said she was down in the dumps before reading it but the book gave her a real psychological lift! The Real Gorbals Story would be a great film - I have neard that Tri Star pictures were interested - so come on Hollywood or Scottish movie producers - turn this into a movie! It would make great viewing and give people and insight what the people of Glasgow had to endure in the slums....magnificent stuff! READ THE OTHER TWO FOLLOW UPS BY SAME AUTHOR -NO MEAN GLASGOW and GORBALS DIEHARDS...two wonderful books!
on 2 March 2015
If you have ever wondered what it was like to live in the slums of the notorious Gorbals in Glasgow this book is a must buy...it is stupendously written by best selling author Colin MacFarlane who was brought up in the area in the 60s and 70s...before the place was demolished and all the brilliant characters disappeared. The best selling author captures the place, characters, and patter so well you will imagine you have been transported there back in time.
on 8 January 2008
The Real Gorbals Story is quite simply a magnificently funny. moving, sometimes brutally candid account of being brought up in the old Gorbals of the 1960s. It's a book that will uplift your mood and make you think about how people had to cope with those times on the meanest of Glasgow streets. Macfarlane has done himself and the Gorbals people proud. I defy anyone from the old Gorbals to write a better book.
on 7 December 2011
A great read and hard to put down. Thoroughly enjoyed the book and its characters and the real insight into a way of life now lost. The humour stopped the book from being depressing and even had me laughing out loud on the train a few times. Highly reccommended.
on 7 December 2007
I have just finished reading Macfarlane's The Real Gorbals Story and it really is a fine piece of work with some fantastic tales that only someone like Macfarlane, a real Gorbals street boy, could have written. His first chapter called Murder Polis is a classic piece of writing and his chapter on the Bunnet Brigade had me laughing until the tears were coming down my cheeks. His descriptions of The Steamie and The Jakes are also ones to look out for. And I think for the first time ever Macfarlane describes in detail the local gang set up and it makes compelling reading.
You won't find a better read about the old Gorbals than this - ten out of ten Macfarlane, you are now the Gorbals king of literature.
on 6 December 2007
The Real Gorbals Story is even better than the books No Mean City, and Growing Up in the Gorbals. It is an interesting unusually brilliant piece of work by a true Gorbals boy. No-one but Macfarlane could have written this book as he is an extremely gifted racontour who grabs your attention form the very first paragraph. I could not put this book down as it is such a compelling read. I have bought copies to send to my old Gorbals friends all over the world and the feedback is they all love it. Quite simply an extremely well written piece of nostalga that will soon become a legend with Glasgow folk
on 20 February 2016
I stopped reading this book halfway through. As a Glaswegian, although not from the Gorbals, I did enjoy many of the anecdotes, however 2 things really annoyed me.

1 Most of the things that "only happened in the Gorbals" actually were true of most of Glasgow, and probably most of Scotland's central belt.For example Stanley Baxter created Parliamo Glasgow, not Parliamo Gorbals

2 Switching between Glaswegian speech and English with no rhyme or reason made it sound like a cross between Rab C and River City.
on 11 March 2016
As a Glaswegian who is a bit older than the author, Colin McFarlane, I enjoyed the memories evoked by his book. But disappointed that it was very much a rewrite of stories already published and his memory of Glasgow street songs is not good. Every song quoted contained errors - a shame as these need to be properly recorded soon before we all die off.