Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

VINE VOICEon 28 October 2011
'Spitfire Girl' is Lily Baxter's (aka Dilly Court)3rd 2nd World War novel and like 'Poppy's War' and 'We'll Meet Again' it is hard to put down once started. You know what you are going to get with Lily - a light, well written, carefully researched novel with engaging characters, romance and a satisfying ending. What more can you ask from a novel? She already has a loyal fan base but I think that her novels deserve more recognition. If you are a fan of the 'family saga' then you should enjoy her books.
Spitfire Girl by Lily Baxter was a very good read which I would recommend to all readers who like fiction based on the Second World War. From the moment I started reading the book the author immediately grabs my attention as I just wanted to know why this girl was out walking her dog on Primrose Hill in the middle of the Blitz.
The book tells the story of a girl who was told she was a foundling and she accepts this like a 'badge of disgrace', and feels that she is not worthy of anyones love as not even her own parents could love her so why would anyone else love her.
Susan continues to think that she is unloveable, even when she meets a very handsome man called Tony Richards and he is the first person to show her any kindness. We follow Susan as she goes from facing heartache after heartache and having nowhere to call her own. The only thing she has ever owned and ever loved her with pure devotion is her faithful dog Charlie and he provides many laughs throughout the book. We follow Susan as she holds on to her dream of flying a spitfire and having friends who love her just for being her. She soon meets friends and they become like family to her and she soon feels what love is all about. This is a book which will have you as a reader wishing nothing but happiness for this beautiful girl with a heart of gold and have you believing that your dreams can come true.
This is one book I highly recommend as a very addictive book but if readers think as I did to be honest I thought it was going to be based on the Air Transport Auxiliary but this was only mentioned briefly at the end of the book along with its founder of the female department Pauline Gower. I still recommend this book as a very good read which keeps the readers attention fully throughout the book.
on 19 August 2011
Susan Banks is the loveable heroine in this tale who's always dreamed of flying a spitfire. A tribute to all the brave women who flew for the allied forces during the war, this is a splendid, heart warming tale of a young girl's dreams and aspirations, and not forgeting the occasional love interest along the way of course!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 September 2013
Susan is in London doing general housework and cooking for a family, but the Blitz turns everyone's life upside down. She has no family of her own and is taken in by a bicycle repair shop owner whose son is a pilot. However she follows the pilot Tony to Hampshire where she dreams of learning to fly. A wealthy woman, married but 'no better than she should be' takes her on to do housework and she lives in a pub and helps out there too. The wealthy woman has a Tiger Moth and amuses herself by teaching Susan to fly; the girl dreams then of joining the group of pilots who transport planes around the country.

For the first half of this book Susan does nothing but housework and she does a lot of it in the next quarter too. The flying is minimal and we only see a couple of escapades, glossing over learning on many different models of plane which she transports. We instead get immersed in the love lives and other doings of all the people Susan meets such as Ros in the pub. This would be fine if this was what the title was selling, but I've read other books about women steering canal boats of supplies during the war, or handling barrage balloons, and those got on with the war work. I would have liked this better if there was more flying and less housework and gossip. It's a reasonable light read but dragged in the middle.
on 23 July 2012
An excellent read which highlights life and circumstances for women in WW2. Employing lots of histoical facts, the story tells of women breaking into a mans world, Unable to be fighter pilots in the RAF, girls took to training as pilots to deliver spitfires from the factory to the airfields . This is a tribute to all those brave women.
on 23 January 2012
This is the second Lily Baxter book I have read and again, it was another great story. Your typical love story, but with a great setting of WWII and the RAF. Well researched and well rounded characters. Highly recommended!
on 5 May 2013
Susan Banks has the secret ambition to learn how to fly and to serve her country. Ater meeting Tony Richards, a flying instuctor there is chance that may happen. When she is forced to leave London, Susan finds work near airbase and she meet Tony again and they fall in love. But war keeps them apart and Susan from reaching her dreams.
I have very hard time in enjoying "Spitfire Girl" by Lily Baxter and I don't know really why. There was something about characters that fail to draw me in. I have read every single book by Ms. Baxter and really liked them all but I have to say that "Spitfire Girl" was not that really that great. Other readers really enjoyed "Spitefire Girl" but I did not.
on 20 December 2012
I bought this book out of curiosity. This genre of novels is not what interests me most. In fact, I find no interest in the fenre whatsoever. I just wanted to see how the author dealt with the historical/technical details. And I must say that I'm pleased with Baxter's efforts to recreate the reality of the UK and British aviation during and after the Blitz. This is in contrast to other novels set in the period.

As far as the plot is concerned, this is a typical Cinderella story. It reads smoothly, but don't expect any complex character development.
on 7 May 2012
I couldn't put the book down, it was excellent!!
I had never read any of Lily Baxters books but will certainly order some more!!

Fabulous read
on 3 October 2012
First time I have read a Lily Baxter novel but it won't be the last. Spitfire Girl was hard to put down. a great story.