4.0 out of 5 stars wow!
So far I have only read the first story in this book, and I found it strangely odd. You feel compelled to go on and the ending , whilst you know what is happening, leaves you with a really funny taste in your mouth.
Published 23 months ago by Judie

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money!
I have read and loved many Karin Slaughter books but this is a complete waste of money. The story is complete rubbish and in only 50% of what you buy. The rest is a "preview" ie. the first chapter of her next book. I have no desire to pay twice for the same story and feel that this is a complete con. Both Ms Slaughter and Amazon should be ashamed!
Published on 5 Jan. 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money!, 5 Jan. 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars dont bother, 11 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I love reading books by Karin Slaughter and this was a massive let down, this was a waste of money and I wouldn't recommend buying it. Takes a whole new meaning to short story as it was read in about 15 minutes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Having read all of the previous Karin Slaughter books and really enjoyed them but this was a little odd to say the least. Would not recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to it, literally!, 14 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This is even shorter than I thought it was going to be as nearly half of it is the first chapter from her novel Fallen, which is definitely good but I've already read it. THORN IN MY SIDE has merit in that the concept and storyline itself are extreme and thought provoking, the consciousness of one conjoined twin's of another's evil, but it is crudely executed and comes to a clumsy conclusion.

The main sticking point for me is the lack of content for the price. Surely this could have been given away as an introduction to what it is really selling or added as a bonus chapter to her next book rather than the other way around?

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Waste of time and money. Not a complete book. Only a taster but that was not clear butler after the download. Won't rely in authors any more. Will check all the reviews first. Oh well, you learn the hard way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Very disappointed with this short story, very strange amount conjoined twins who commit murder..... Couldn't quite get my head around it really, would not reccommend

1.0 out of 5 stars Karen wrote this ?, 4 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I love Karen slaughter and can't believe she wrote this short story , it just wasn't a Karen slaughter story , I really thought a guy had written it , i found it quite distasteful , it grossed me out to be truthfull , i really do not wish to think about conjoined twins toilet habits , it was just so wrong . Not recommend :-(

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best!, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Story had no ending. Nothing like her usual books very disappointed, wouldn't recommend to anyone who is expecting something like she usually writes

3.0 out of 5 stars Darkly disturbing and blackly comic murder story - not her best work!., 12 July 2014
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Wow; now this little story has certainly come in for some negative reviews and I think Karin Slaughter made a mistake when she published Thorn In My Side without explaining it's not one of her trademark thrillers and isn't supposed to be taken too seriously. She wrote the story to have some fun with her readers and the story is a real departure from her usual brand of fiction.

I'd also mention she hasn't made any money from this publication and all profits are "..used solely to give grants to libraries in the US and the Reading Agency in the UK".

Had all of that been clearly explained on Amazon before people paid for the download there might have been much less criticism?.

The basic idea behind the story is quite intriguing, not something I've read before, and features a pair of conjoined twins. Slaughter asks her readers to consider what might happen if one of the twins commits a particularly vile crime. What can the other twin do while it's happening?. Would they both be considered guilty?.

I think with the right amount of intelligent plotting and empathy that idea might have enough clout to make a great novel/novella. Unfortunately, the story is too short and there's too much of a fascination with the twins more intimate/physical acts which destroys their credibility and is neither funny nor relevant.

There are just three chapters to Thorn In My Side and they're broken up into basic formula; the crime, the consequences, the conclusion.

Karin Slaughter claims to have had a lot of fun writing the story and maybe that's why it's bumpy and somewhat random. It's also quite bleak in places. I don't appreciate the mix of previous novels, short story and preview of a future novel all being rolled together under one cover. This is advertised as a short story and not a commercial.

So; there you have my opinion, for what it's worth, I wouldn't have paid for the download had I known exactly what I was buying into but at least my money went to a worthwhile cause. I'm leaving 3* because the idea behind the plot intrigued me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my style!, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I am an ardent Karin Slaughter fan and buy every book I can find. On this occasion I wish I had never found this book. It was bizarre and I found I was very uncomfortable when reading about conjoined twins. Everybody realises how difficult life must be for them but this was just too much information.

Thorn in My Side (Kindle Single)