5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book
Published on 24 Jun 2008 by heavy_t

3.0 out of 5 stars Latin American approach
I've read the whole series in English and French, and am now doing so in Spanish. The test of a good translation is that the reader should not be aware that he is reading a translation. The French accomplishes this admirably. The Spanish translator must have decided to bias his work towards the Latin American market, because the second person familiar plural...
Published on 27 Oct 2006 by Anglo-Irishman

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 24 Jun 2008
I've read the Spanish translation of Harry Potter as part of my attempts to read and continue learning Spanish. Starting off with the translation, yes it is indeed biased towards Latin American usage but that should in no way affect your enjoyment of the book, as long as you aware of the vosotros forms why should it? If you had learnt Spanish with Michel Thomas and books from McGraw Hill you may not even be aware of the vosotros form anyway!!

One reviewer says that the use of "ustedes" is equivalent to calling people "your graces" to Spanish ears, which is just ridiculous. Anyone at a sufficient level to be able to start reading books such as this should be aware of the differences between Peninsular and Latin American Spanish and be able to adapt without their enjoyment being spoilt. I am sure the Spanish themselves do! A book that I can recommend (although a slightly easier reading level) which liberally uses vosotros forms is the translation of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory (Charlie y la Fábrica de Chocolate) if you want some exposure.

Another criticism the same reviewer levelled at the book was the use of the English character names like "Snitch" and words like "muggles". Whilst I see his point, this did not spoil my enjoyment. Although if I had been reading aloud it would have been hard to change smoothly between English and Spanish, so I can see why he feels this way. However, the book is set in England, and therefore I personally am happy for the characters to keep their English names so I ultimately feel the decision was valid. If I was to read an English translation of a Spanish novel set in Spain I would not really want Juan to become John, and Enrique to become Henry as this would seem out of context with the setting of the book.

Aside from debate about whether this is a good resource for learning Spanish, of course the story is great. Every chapter seems to end on a note which makes it almost impossible to close the book with the intention of continuing later. As someone who has long denounced and mocked Harry Potter as "for kids" - I have not seen the films nor read the books in English - I humbly admit I was wrong!

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful and interesting learning tool, 11 Dec 2003
By A Customer
I read this book in English and loved it, well who hasn't dreamed about being a wizard or witch? The decision to read the Spanish version was the result of a desperate search for material with which to improve both my reaiding and writing in this language. It was great, ok so afer only 18mths learning Spanish I found some passages tough, but knowing the english version meant that I could piece the story together and enjoy the challenge. I would reccomend this to any Spanish people looking for a fun read and any students searching for a way to improve their Spanish. Trust me you'll learn idioms, new vocabularly and it looks impressive on the bus!

5.0 out of 5 stars MARAVILLOSO!, 2 April 2001
By A Customer
Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal es un libro esencial para cualquier aficionado a la literatura fantástica. No es un libro solo para niños, si no que es mucho más, es el reencuentro del adulto con ese mundo de fantasia que creia olvidado en el fondo de su alma. Será porque somos todos un poco muggles...

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun way to improve your Spanish, 22 Jan 2008
S. Clark (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I would thoroughly recommend reading this book as a great way of improving your Spanish and having an unputdownable read at the same time. I was looking for something to read in Spanish, in order to improve my language skills, and, as I had loved all the Harry Potter films, but hadn't found time to read the books, I thought 'why not try to read Harry Potter in Spanish?'. I'm really glad I did! True, I need my big thick Spanish/English dictionary to hand to understand many of the words - but it does get easier the more you read, and my Spanish skills have improved noticeably since I've begun reading this book!

Thank you, J K Rowling, for a really enjoyable read - and for improving my Spanish!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosopher's Stone, 4 Mar 2014
I've read the whole set of books in English and French. Now I'm learning Spanish it's an obvious text to choose.

We don't let the fact that some ignorant american publisher got the name wrong on the US version spoil our enjoyment of an excellent story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way to improve your Spanish reading skills., 21 Jan 2014
I have read the series in English, and now, as I have been a student of Spanish for 15 years or so, I have begun to read them in Spanish. Excellent way of introducing new words into your vocabulary and for improving your understanding of writtern Spanish. Very well written and presented, easy to read and not too difficult for, say, an intermediate Spanish read. Worth the money. Just purchased 'Harry Potter y la Camara Secreta' today, so looking forward to that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars First three volumes of the Harry Potter series. ( Spanish translation), 18 Dec 2013
I have bought these volumes as a Christmas gift for a young friend who is studying Spanish and hopes to do it at university later this year so I am really not in any position to comment until she has read them. I know from my own experience how delightful and very good the French translations are and I cannot see JK Rowling allowing any poor translation of her work to be published.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 18 April 2013
This is a great way to improve foreign language aural skill. The voice is a little bit dull at times and there don't seem to be any frills in the production of the reading, but it is nice to listen to, a great story of course, and a great way to improve your Spanish.

5.0 out of 5 stars libro, 5 Mar 2013
Muchas gracias el libro llego ayer y en muy buenas condiciones, muchas gracias y mi hija esta muy contenta por ello.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 16 Dec 2012
Book was for my friend and she enjoy it very much. Great condition of the book, Well apart from that not much to say just great book