5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to improve your french reading

Published on 9 Mar 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to improve your french reading, 12 Jun 2008
Mr. A. Williamson (N.Devon, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Harry Potter is an exciting story about young witches and wizards at school, and a story that every child knows, and many adults too. Therefore, reading the French translation is a great way to improve your skills at reading in French. Obviously the story is better in the original english, but the French translation is still incredibly well thought out. Words unique to the books are translated by new words that help to capture the feeling of the original, and there are also many examples of idiomatic expressions that you would otherwise never know until you were at a more advanced level. Reading in a foreign language helps you to become confident on your own in the language, and the French translation of Harry Potter is a great way to get started. One word of warning, many verbs are in the past historic, a tense that is only found in literature and not taught until A-level, however, this is more to do with the fact that it is rarely seen rather than because it's difficult, it is in fact pretty simple and so you should find you pick it up while reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage encouragement., 5 Jun 2008
I can't be the only person to have a teenager who has no interest in their french lessons at school. They all love Harry Potter and this is just such a wonderful way to encourage a slight interest in the french language for stubborn teenagers. My daughter almost knows the HP books off by heart which helps enormously with translating the French version. Now French is not some boring subject that she has no interest in but something that she reads without being asked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 26 Mar 2003
French wizard (Essex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The story is the same as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone even though the title of the french version is not a direct translation. I am an A-Level student studying French and I found the book quite hard at first, but as time went on it got easier. However, beware! the book is written in the Past Historic tense which I had not been taught. It is a tense only used in literature and is never spoken so it has to be taught to children in French schools. The tense is quite easy to pick up as it is normally similar to the past participle.
I have learnt many not so useful words from reading it such as 'baguette magique'(magic wand) and 'hibou'(owl)and some useful ones too. Overall it is a very good book and I would recommend reading it to any french student who wishes to build up their vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Parfait :), 6 July 2010
A. Barney "Barnaldo" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
A brilliant introduction into the French world of Harry Potter. Considering that I'm an A level student, I didn't find the book too difficult, but for those below this level it may turn out to be a chore rather than just reading pleasure. A note for those studying GCSE or AS level, the book uses the passé simple which can be a bit disconcerting at first but soon you'll be reading it and understanding it without realizing :)

A definite must buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 22 April 2006
I bought this book as a way to get more of a feel for the french language and to pick up some vocab. Although many of the words seem irrelevant to everyday life - cape (cloak) hibou (owl) etc, i have picked up loads of verbs that will come in handy during conversation and are good to know. The book is written quite colloquially, which means that you can pick things up that you perhaps would not be taught in school.

I found it startlingly easy to read and could quite easily have got through the whole book without a dictionary (if you gloss over what you don't know you can still get the gist). However i looked up the words i didn't know so that i could learn them, but still found i was only checking 1-2 words per page, which surprised me.

Overall i would really recommend buying this book. It is a good way of improving your french and getting a 'feel' for the language. I have started to realise when my language just doesn't sound right even though it looks ok.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful if learning French, 9 Mar 2012
I find it helpful for improving my rusty French to read a book in French while comparing it with the same book in English. I didn't feel, as another reviewer thought, that the French version had been abridged, but the French meaning does not always precisely follow the English. It nevertheless affords a useful opportunity to observe how French differs from English, and also how it can at times be remarkably similar. I have subsequently amended my rating to 3 stars because, reading on, I was reminded of the poor print quality of the book, with parts of letters missing, which makes it more difficult to read considering it is in a foreign language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suited me, 15 Feb 2013
My school French is a bit rusty so I chose this book as a bit of easy reading, glad I did. Subtle changes between this and the English version kept me on my toes. Smaller than the normal paperback, handy size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry to the Rescue, 14 April 2009
Yes my teenager read these books when she had started secondary school Now she is in Year 12. She is certainly struggling with her inability to read French (v.poor) and it is holding her back! I have purchased several of the books in French. They have held her interest and enabled her to recognise that she can read French with practise and that she will get better with practise! I would certainly recommend purchasing these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, turns out I can read French, 22 Oct 2009
Well, I wish we'd had this book at 'O' level, instead of slogging through the interminable stilted histoires of Jean-Paul Marsaud and his wretched family. A translation which retains the humour and, brilliantly, the rhythm of the original, while adding in some sly jokes of its own (the Sorting Hat becomes the "Choixpeau").

J K Rowling apparently studied French, and in translation, some of the Hogwarts argot seems almost to expand and adjust into its natural habitat (Gryffondor, Voldemort, the teachers referred to as 'professors'.) If, like me, your school days & subsequent life left you believing that you could not understand a word our Gallic neighbours say to one another, then you will actually find yourself grinning as you read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 5 Aug 2014
I bought this as I study French but I hate reading! However, I love Harry potter and it is one of the few books I know I like in English so reading it in French is great as the story grasps my attention and in parts when I find the French more difficult to understand I still have an idea of what is happening because I already know the story!

I would recommend reading this book while listening to it being read as well!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›