on 26 February 2009
If you are a Harry Potter fan, this book is for you. It contains five wizard fairytales, and notes made by the Professor Albus Dumbledore. Like with Muggle fairytales, they contain moral messages and words of wisdom to the budding wizard. They are short and thoroughly enjoyable. The notes made by Dumbledore had me chuckling - what a great character! I loved how the books linked back to the Harry Potter series, making the book a must-have for Potter fans.

My favourite Tale was "Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump"- very funny. A great washer woman. A fiery character who taught a valuable lesson and had a genius laugh.

As ever, Rowling writes in an engaging and fun way, and although this is predominantly a child's book, adults will appreciate the book too, with some subtle adult humour and comments. This was a gripping and fun book to read, and I loved the illustrations, done by Rowling herself. This is a great companion to the much-loved Harry Potter books, and I highly recommend this little gem.

10/10
on 10 December 2008
I received my book yesterday, and I'm so glad that I ordered one in time! It's a gorgeous Collector's Edition, and the quality is amazing, especially considering that a large chunk of the purchase price goes to a very worthy charity!
The outer case is huge and lovely smooth leather. The pictures embellished on it are wonderful, and it gives it a very authentic "Harry Potter" feel. Inside, the classy blue velvet interior is so luxurious, as is the ruby red velvet bag embroidered with JK Rowling's signature. The book itself is amazing - I'm loving the skull, metal and jewels! The ready-to-frame prints are a lovely touch, especially when they are by the writer herself!
I haven't even read the book itself yet, but I am really looking forward to the tales and the notes by Dumbledore. I'm waiting to read my Standard copy with my daughter! Overall, I'm so impressed with the quality of this product! 5 STARS *****
on 5 December 2008
Today I received the collector's edition of Harry Potter and the tales of beedle the bard. I also received the standard edition.

I opened the standard edition first and I thought it was very nice; beautifully illustrated, well bound together...

Then *deep breath* I opened the Collector's edition. I was overwhelmed by the size first; it was about a foot in height, but this only added to my excitement.

The "outer book" is leather and imprinted with "The Tales of Beedle the bard" and J.K Rowling's signature. There are little pictures of a skull, a treetrunk, a heart and a pot along with other little designs imprinted on the leather. And of course, these are imprinted with outstanding, breathtaking quality.
On the spine of the book, the words and the little sketch of a wand are eye-catching in a glimmering, gold font.
The outer book has that beautiful, authentic look of one of the books that you would find in the Hogwarts library as clearly shown in any of the Harry Potter films.

Upon opening the book, there is navy-blue velvet lining that adds sheer luxary to the amazing product.
There is a slipcase and in it a gold envelope that holds astounding work of art - the 10 framable prints of J.K's wonderful illustrations - and yes it's true - she IS quite the artist! The illustrations capture the fairytales and add more clarity and depth to the story; the tales just wouldn't be complete without them.

The book itself is encased in a beautiul deep red velvet bag. This is embroided with J.K's signature in a gold thread.

...And the book? What can I say but ... wow.
The cover is made of brown leather and yes, it is astonishing quality.
There are four metal corners, each with a blue gemstone. In the centre there is a metal skull, with two blue gemstones for eyes. There is a magnetic clasp set with a gemstone also. They say you shouldn't judge a book by a cover but the cover really is stunning; you will not be able to draw away your eyes.

The handwritten introduction to the book is such an authentic and realistic reproduction, I thought it was real; that J.K Rowling herself had scrawled the words across the pages. You will devour every word of the introduction, hungry for more..

The pages the fairytales are printed on are thick and high quality. The standard edition paper and print just cannot compare to the the high quality paper and the astounding print of the CE. It is an absolute pleasure to read.

As for the tales themselves... well I'll let you find out for yourself, but they are so original and wonderfully written I fell instantly in love with them. After reading thoroughly the 7 harry potter books I was glad for something new related with harry potter. Dumbledore comments on each of the stories, I found this very helpful as I got a better insight on each. Dumbledore's comments on the tale of the three brothers will ultimately help you understand the deathly hallows themselves.

As a fifteen year old major harry potter fan, I definitely feel that this is a wonderful addition to my potter collection. I didn't expect it to be as good as this, but it is, it really is. So much that I can not fault this spectacular book. Thank you Amazon for the outstanding quality you have put into this book. I sincerely reccommend that you buy the collector's edition while you still can! You will not be sorry! And J.K Rowling, you are amazing thank you so much for bringing Harry Potter in my life.
33 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2008
I pre-ordered this on 2nd August, and the last two weeks have been the longest wait of my life in terms of books. When i got it, my breath was taken away with how beautiful it was. I won't bore you with details of how it looks as so many others have done this, so i'll concentrate on what is in the book. Firstly, i loved the tales and i will be reading it again, although i will use my standard edition. The characters are all different and seem very real. Although connected with magic and has Dumbledore's thoughts included, it shows she can write other believable characters without mentioning Harry, Ron or Hermoine etc. I found Dumbledore's thoughts to be well written and easily imagined him thinking and saying these things. The footnotes were very informative as well. The clear divide between muggle and wizarding fairytales is not always clear- the only thing seperating them is that the people in the stories have magic and that the females are a lot stronger and grab your attention more.
There is one let down i feel. The last tale "the three brothers" i felt was too short. I have read the last book and have read the tale, but thought that it had been a quick version of it. Then again, if it had been longer, it may have spoilt it. Also, the thoughts at the end of the story i felt ended suddenly. I was expecting to turn the page and see more thoughts, but came to a personal message from baroness nicholson of winterbourne MEP 107 (don't want people to tell me off for using a shortened version of her name!). Although this was good to read, i only wish there had been a conclusion of his thoughts like the other stories. Then again, it makes the reader wonder if he intended to go back to those notes and finish them off- sadly, we'll never know. However, these are two minor complaints and do not affect the enjoyment of the book overall.
JK Rowling still has the power to make people feel hungry for more, and i have once again been caught under her spell. The illustrations in the CE are amazing and shows that she is more than just a writer. Please consider buying this book- if you just want it for the stories, get the standard edition. However, if you want more than the stories and experience the full magic of this book, buy the Collector's edition. I promise that you will not be disappointed. Get it soon because once it's gone, it's gone.
VINE VOICEon 4 December 2008
This is a collection of five short parables, which remind me very much of reading Aesop's fables as a child. They are well written and thoughtful about the weaknesses of human character especially if you live in a world where magic is real. They are well written tales of fears and desires. For me they are actually better in some ways than the last Harry Potter book, because to tell a story with a message in such a small space and with originality and imagination is a serious challenge.

They are going to be perfect bed-time reading for my children and you have to think that JK probably had her own children in mind when she wrote them. I am not sure about the hairy heart one just before bed.
44 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2009
This is an absolutely brilliant book that any die-hard Harry Potter fan should own as it explains so much back story and wizarding views which completes Harry's Tale & explains the events which occur especially in later books. Definitely worth a read, and if you've got kids, or might ever have kids who'll e introduced to Harry Potter in due course then this is the edition to get because it looks & feels like a really old book. Fantastic - only bettered by the novels themselves.
on 11 March 2016
Excellent

I felt very warm and fuzzy reading new JKR. How can I not love an alleged children's writer who mentions murder, mutilation, cannibalism, adultery, and bestiality all within the span of 110 (ultra-short) pages? The stories are on the meh side, but Dumbledore's commentaries showed a smart, literary eye that reminded me briefly of Pale Fire. I'm all, "Hey, JK, you did your thang." Be that as it may, I'm a bit offended by the Dumbledore's anti-anti-Muggle bias. I see nothing wrong with witches and wizards not wanting to associate with Muggles. I hate Muggles, they are the worst! And I have Muggle heritage myself (but don't tell anyone I said that, EEW EEW EEW!) so you know I can't be magicist. Sometimes I look in the mirror and I think, "Go back to where you came from, Mudblood!" So I did -- but the staff at New York Presbyterian wouldn't take me back. (less)
on 16 December 2008
An absolute work of art. I feel honoured that I was one of the lucky ones to recieve one.
There has been so much effort put into the book.
The outer book is very secure and beautifully made. It actually looks like a book its self but its cradling the smaller book which is inside a lovely little back with jk rowlings signature stitched into it.
The smaller book is decorated as you can see in the pics and its done in a way that makes you think it could actually be THE orginal!
The print inside the book is very nice and theres a foreword written by jk rowling which is lovely and in her own writing.

all in all a fantastic buy. If more become available i would highly recommend them to all big harry potter fans. a great book collectable and also the tales themselves are brill. I will be telling them to my children one day =)
I was lucky enough to order this collector's edition just in time and although there is no doubt that it is expensive, it is a truly excellent item and very well presented. The prints are obviously well worth the etra cost but what is truly superb is the edition of 'The Tales Of Beedle The Bard' that is included. It looks fantastic and it is a work of art in itself with the metal clasp,metal corners and skull.

I have hardly looked at the book as it is a present for my much better half and I am sure she will be delighted with it. Another plus point is the way the book is hidden away in a much larger book that looks as though it could have come off a bookshelf at Hogwarts. There will not be many left now but if you do get the chance to purchase this I have no hesitation in recommending it. Expensive but worth it.
on 5 December 2008
If only JK hadn't said in 'Deathly Hallows' that there were five tales in this collection! Then she could have given us our fill of post-Potter stories without continuity problems.
This is a great little book. But with a sad emphasis on little. I wanted more! The great thing about this collection is that it shows us the breadth of Rowling's talent. Each of the tales is individual, with a different tone; some light, some funny and - in the case of the Hairy Heart - some dark. And the commentary from Dumbledore has a pleasing academic tone while still being child-friendly.
Just imagine if there were seven tales, or ten, or twelve...
However, the price reflects the size which is great news. A fantastic stocking-filler for anyone with Potter withdrawal symptoms.