on 26 October 2014
I haven't read this author before, and was very pleased with the book, the story line was excellent, thrilling to read and couldn't put it down, after reading this book I had to go into the kindle store and get book two and three and I haven't been disappointed, all three books are a worthy read. Looking out for this author in the future.
on 30 July 2011
I bought this book after reading 'The One you Love' which I had also enjoyed.

The story is about a London based surgeon and opens with a dramatic rescue/tragedy scene in which the Sam the surgeon is involved. But this dramatic event is only the start for Sam in what turns out to be a series of distressing, sometimes fatal situations. Sam recognizes that they are connected but who is ultimately behind these terrible deeds and can Sam really trust anyone?

An excellent read which I thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend to all lovers of thrillers.

I wish this new author lots of luck and look forward to his next book :)
11 comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2015
Cant remember the last time I sat up all night to finish a book!
If you like a thriller that comes thick and fast this is for you . Paul Pilkington has the gift of making a complicated plot into a very easy read.
At first I wondered how many bad things could happen to one person in such a short time but very soon you start to put the pieces together.I did work it out but I like to be proved right if I have sat up all night lol
on 3 January 2016
I rarely review books - I generally feel unqualified to do so and do not like trashing any author who has put the time and effort into writing it. But occasionally a book creates such an impression I feel I must, especially when my views are so out of kilter with the reviews that led me to buy it (4.3/5).

The story is nonsense throughout and leaves so many unanswered questions that I wish I had given up earlier, rather than read through to the end in the hope of some decent resolution. Some of the characters were so poorly developed I cared little about them. Like Sam I would probably go and do an 8-hour heart operation than try to save my dreadfully worthy wife.

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***
Is Marcus a killer or not? The constant "is he"/"isn't he" became dreadfully annoying.
What happened to Miles?
What happened to Louisa?
Why did Eric have bags of money hidden - he was supposed to be in debt?
What happened to Cullen, the policeman?
Why was Anna kidnapped? (who cares!)
Why was Sam targeted in this outlandish series of events at all?
Why was the train crash recorded?
How did Richard get the necklace? (the hypothesised answer was rather dubious)

Perhaps these questions were answered and I missed it in my boredom.
on 5 June 2015
This is the first Paul Pilkington book I've read and if his others are half as good I've got some good reading in front of me
It was hard to put down once I'd started to read this book and I would recommend it to anyone
on 21 January 2016
I was left very disappointed with this book. Yes it was a page turner and i couldnt put it down, However that was because I was excited to find out the answers to the questions that the elobrate and intriguing plot had created....However they never came. I was left just asking why?? I was really keen to find out why all of the crazy twisted things had happened to Sam, and how all the pieces to the puzzle fitted together, I still dont know the answer.

Some really great ideas with the plot line an characters, however the final outcome just didnt match up
on 20 January 2016
Started off really well and got progressively worse. The plot in the end made no sense as to why other people were dragged in to it, too much wasn't explained and the ending........was almost like the author couldn't be bothered. Most of the characters weren't believable or their actions. Won't bother reading this author again.
on 19 January 2016
I very rarely write reviews but felt I must after wasting 99p buying this book. The story got off to a good start with the brave doctor saving the children from the train crash but sadly it went down hill from there. I didn't really believe the plot, there were so many holes in the story and seemed to just finish without any real explanation or finding out what happened. Did the police become involved or not??
Also the characters had no depth to them, I just didn't care if Sam got his wife back or not, not sure he did at times either. Who goes to work when your wife has been kidnapped?
The best friend Louisa, well lets just say I'm glad I don't have any friends like her.
on 6 January 2016
Sorry to be negative about a new author (I think) but this was terrible. I NEVER put a book down before the end; no matter how poor it seems to be I always finish it, but this was one I wish I hadn't. The plot is preposterous, the characters wooden and unbelievable and the writing poor. When I got very close to the end and there was no end in sight I knew then that it would be an awful climax....and it was. I am a prolific reader, probably at least 50 books a year and this was by far the most disappointing and the only one I have ever deleted from my Kindle in case I click on it by accident. Really sorry Mr Pilkington, but don't give up your day job.
on 10 January 2016
A string of implausible connections, meaninglessness actions by the hero of the piece, ending as if even the author decided not to bother with anything that was worthwhile. Wasted hours of my life.