Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 September 2012
My parents bought this particular version for me in about 1955 when I was five years old. It was a ten inch L.P. rather than 12 inch and had the same sleeve. It sounds as good today as it did then. I do wish, however, that todays manufacturer would state on the C.D. exactly when it was recorded. They used to but don't seem to bother these days, and as a matter of interest, it does matter. If you listen carefully you can hear that it is recorded from an original record with the occasional popping and clicking in the background. Don't let that put you off buying it, the production and sound is still very good.
on 28 May 2014
Like many others, I first encountered this recording in the 1960's, coupled with Britten's Young Person's Guide. The problem about this reissue is that there are only two tracks/index points (the 24 minutes and 42 seconds are divided 12.49 and 11.53), so it's difficult to go into it say after the instruments have been introduced or for the fugue at the end.
The other observation is that it has been copied at an unbelievably low level, requiring you to turn the volume full up. This does the old recording no favours. However, I'm all in favour of Classical CD 'singles' and this one has the original Decca sleeve as its cover design.
on 27 September 2013
I first heard Peter and the Wolf at primary school, back in the fifties. As a child I didn't appreciate that Prokofiev, who much later became a favourite composer of mine, had composed it to help introduce children to the pleasures of classical music and this certainly worked. Each character in the story is portrayed by a different musical instrument: eg a flute for the bird, oboe for the duck, clarinet for the cat, string quartet for Peter, bassoon for Grandfather and three horns for the wolf. This was an inspired way of teaching us the sounds of individual instruments and also how they could sound put together, enriching the exciting story so that it stayed in our minds. Certainly in my case it was the beginning of a love of beautiful music and buying this recording as an adult was purely for nostalgia. This version may be considered slightly old-fashioned due to the story being told by former newsreader Frank Phillips, who starts 'My dear children...' but this to me is part of its charm. The music still works its magic and the cover picture, cleverly depicting the story, is decidedly appealing too!
on 4 February 2014
Crappy sound quality, it's just a crackly recording from some old vinyl, Im also waiting for the version narrated by David Bowie, I have higher hopes for the Bowie one.
You need to crank the volume up on this poor quality recording, I would not bother buying this version if I were you.
on 20 March 2013
PETER & THE VWOLF.
Narration was stilted and boring; I was very disappointed definitely unsuitable for introducing young children to the delightful music.
on 19 September 2013
I used to listen to this with my grandfather as a child. I had a touch of nostalgia and had to buy it. So glad I did, I was right back to my childhood!
on 23 May 2015
My little four year old doesn't move when this is playing. He is totally engrossed in the story and can identify the characters by e instrument after just hearing it three times. The recording is quite quiet have to turn the CD player up to 22 to hear it when I can hear the radio perfectly on 7!
on 18 April 2012
I bought this for my baby as she loves the music, and it has an old-fashioned charm. The cover is a great illustration and the content really is just the basics, being only 20 minutes long, but it does the job for her.
on 22 July 2014
This was bought for my 8 year old granddaughter, but we both enjoyed listening to it together. The narrator's voice was crisp, clear and easy to listen to.
on 25 February 2013
This c.d was purchased as a reward for a child I have been working with on anger issues. I had played it to the class and she was very keen to listen again.