5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes Old is Good
Published 22 months ago by Mr. M. P. Dibley

3.0 out of 5 stars Peter and the Wolf
I was disapointed with the quality of recording of this product as it is ostensibly a copy of a vinyl record, however the content and interpretation was very good. I purchased it for my grandchildren as an introduction to classical music, they obviously won't be as picky as me about the quality!
Published 17 months ago by John Sumner

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes Old is Good, 5 Sep 2012
Mr. M. P. Dibley (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter And The Wolf (Audio CD)
My parents bought this particular version for me in about 1955 when I was five years old. It was a ten inch L.P. rather than 12 inch and had the same sleeve. It sounds as good today as it did then. I do wish, however, that todays manufacturer would state on the C.D. exactly when it was recorded. They used to but don't seem to bother these days, and as a matter of interest, it does matter. If you listen carefully you can hear that it is recorded from an original record with the occasional popping and clicking in the background. Don't let that put you off buying it, the production and sound is still very good.

1.0 out of 5 stars PETER & THE WOLF. DISAPPOINTING NARRATION ., 20 Mar 2013
PETER & THE VWOLF.
Narration was stilted and boring; I was very disappointed definitely unsuitable for introducing young children to the delightful music.

3.0 out of 5 stars Peter and the Wolf, 6 Feb 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice cover, decent product, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Peter And The Wolf (Audio CD)
I bought this for my baby as she loves the music, and it has an old-fashioned charm. The cover is a great illustration and the content really is just the basics, being only 20 minutes long, but it does the job for her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tracks and Level., 28 May 2014
Jokeroom (Pilning, Bristol, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter And The Wolf (Audio CD)
Like many others, I first encountered this recording in the 1960's, coupled with Britten's Young Person's Guide. The problem about this reissue is that there are only two tracks/index points (the 24 minutes and 42 seconds are divided 12.49 and 11.53), so it's difficult to go into it say after the instruments have been introduced or nearer to the end.
The other observation is that it has been copied at an unbelievably low level, requiring you to turn the volume full up. This does the old recording no favours. However, I'm all in favour of Classical CD 'singles' and this one has the original Decca sleeve as its cover design.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have been brilliant, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Peter And The Wolf (Audio CD)
Crappy sound quality, it's just a crackly recording from some old vinyl, Im also waiting for the version narrated by David Bowie, I have higher hopes for the Bowie one.
You need to crank the volume up on this poor quality recording, I would not bother buying this version if I were you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspired introduction to classical music, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Peter And The Wolf (Audio CD)
I first heard Peter and the Wolf at primary school, back in the fifties. As a child I didn't appreciate that Prokofiev, who much later became a favourite composer of mine, had composed it to help introduce children to the pleasures of classical music and this certainly worked. Each character in the story is portrayed by a different musical instrument: eg a flute for the bird, oboe for the duck, clarinet for the cat, string quartet for Peter, bassoon for Grandfather and three horns for the wolf. This was an inspired way of teaching us the sounds of individual instruments and also how they could sound put together, enriching the exciting story so that it stayed in our minds. Certainly in my case it was the beginning of a love of beautiful music and buying this recording as an adult was purely for nostalgia. This version may be considered slightly old-fashioned due to the story being told by former newsreader Frank Phillips, who starts 'My dear children...' but this to me is part of its charm. The music still works its magic and the cover picture, cleverly depicting the story, is decidedly appealing too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still as I remember it, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Peter And The Wolf (Audio CD)
I used to listen to this with my grandfather as a child. I had a touch of nostalgia and had to buy it. So glad I did, I was right back to my childhood!

5.0 out of 5 stars a useful resource, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: Peter And The Wolf (Audio CD)
This c.d was purchased as a reward for a child I have been working with on anger issues. I had played it to the class and she was very keen to listen again.

Peter And The Wolf
Peter And The Wolf by London Philharmonic Orchestra (Audio CD - 2011)