3,362 Reviews
 (1,648)
 (1,105)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thurdays in the Park
I found it very hard to put this book down in order to go out to dinner! It is about two older people who meet and fall in love and all the attendant problems they encounter with families. Very well written and entertaining
It made me laugh and cry and I totally enjoyed it! I really recommend it!
Published on 5 Aug 2011 by Jude

3.0 out of 5 stars thursdays in the park
One of those books that I found myself liking despite myself. Difficult, if not impossible, to discuss why without the possibility of including a fairly big spoiler, lets just say that whilst I didn't like the actions of some of the characters, I did quite like them as individuals.

Published on 22 May 2012 by Tracy Terry

5.0 out of 5 stars Thurdays in the Park, 5 Aug 2011
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Paperback)
It made me laugh and cry and I totally enjoyed it! I really recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice to read a book with an older heroine, 11 Aug 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Kindle Edition)
Jeanie is nearly sixty. Her husband, George, has suddenly decided he wants to move to the country but Jeanie wants to stay in London and continue running her successful health food shop. Their marriage isn't all it might be and George likes to control everything Jeanie does. One Thursday afternoon she meets Ray in the park where he is supervising his grandson, Dylan, on the swings and slides while Jeanie supervises her granddaughter, Ellie. They get on well and Jeanie starts to question the whole basis of her life especially as her family insist on knowing what's best for her.

I really enjoyed this book especially because it features older people rather than perfectly groomed and stick thin twenty somethings agonising over a bad hair day. I liked Jeanie herself and could understand her frustration when everyone tried to tell her what was best for. Ray is an interesting character too. I thought the contrasts between the Jeanie and George and their daughter Jeanie and her husband Alex were very well drawn and showed well the different concerns of the different generations.

I thought the plot was good as it wasn't just a simple case of meeting someone else and deciding to break up your family. It really did show how life goes on while an individual is experiencing a crisis and how one person's life changing decision can affect many other people. I liked the way all the characters were changed by the end of the book. The dialogue was very well done and convincing and this is a book which kept me reading because I wanted everything to work out well for all the characters. Hilary Boyd is definitely a writer to look out for if you enjoy novels about older people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and real, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Paperback)
Having seen this novel recommended twice in the same edition of the Sunday Times,I ordered it.It's a story of a 60 year old woman with a difficult long marriage.When she meets someone she's attracted to,she's torn.Although this sounds fairly stereotypical,the writing is warm,convincing and unembellished.It's a lovely read on a quiet day.

5.0 out of 5 stars THURSDAYS IN THE PARK: GRANDMOTHER BEHAVING BADLY., 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Paperback)
A new Mary Wesley for the 21st century has just published her first novel at the respectable age of sixty something.

Thursdays in the Park is a perfectly pitched, fast moving,hugely funny, black comedy and OAP baby boomer romance,
with just a hint of granny bodice-ripper.

The opening chapter is quiet and understated, belying the fun and interest that soon follows. The plot is perfectly
crafted and its twists and turns, together with Hilary Boyd's mischievous sense of humour and close human
observation, steer it firmly away from sentimentality, or what could easily have been just Hills and Boon, into a
delightful tale of the idiosyncrasies and insanities of family life, which keeps you guessing till the last page.

Cliched though it sounds, this book is a real laugh-out-loud page-turner. Brilliant holiday reading.

I look forward to the next Hilary Boyd!

3.0 out of 5 stars thursdays in the park, 22 May 2012
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Paperback)

Funny, moving and with a few twists and turns added for good measure, Thursdays In The Park is a love story in which (hurrah) the 'Romeo and Juliet' of the piece are not beautiful young things but ........ (gasp) grandparents in their 60's.

Very well observed, the author tells a truly modern story of family life (certain aspects of which I'm sure will seem all too familiar to many grandparents), friendship and love.

My only criticism? The reason why George leaves the marital bed when eventually revealed though unexpected just didn't ring completely true and I felt that given the nature of the reason the author didn't really explore that aspect of the novel as much as I would have liked ...... though then again, to do so would have completely changed the tone of the book so perhaps she was right to have made that decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever day in the park, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Paperback)
There is little I can add by way of plaudits for this book which I have enjoyed enormously, even though that seems a rather odd thing to say considering it's about the break up of a long marriage. But it's eloquently written and with wry humour, and if I had been married to a George for more than 30 years and met a gorgeous Ray, then I'd have been in the park every day!

By coincidence, there was a feature on this morning's Breakfast TV programme, about how 60-somethings, especially the women, are the largest age group filing for divorce. Perhaps once retired and without the diversion of work some women (and men, of course) suddenly realize that the partner they have been with, and had children with, for decades really aren't the the people they wish to spend the rest of their lives with.

Fortunately, I don't fall into this camp, but that didn't prevent me from empathizing with the heroine of this lovely novel and her break for freedom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it in the park - in two sittings, 15 Aug 2011
Ellen "Ellen" - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Paperback)
I agree with Jude. This book is full of delicious details that really bring the characters and North London itself to life. I expected to be charmed and moved, but I was surprised to find myself on the edge of my seat as the plot twists unfolded - I gasped out loud several times. And although you encounter some dislikable people for sure, the book is also full of kindness and empathy. And who doesn't need a little of that!

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting premise but very patchy, 19 Nov 2012
AM Roach (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Kindle Edition)
While I applaud the relative novelty of an older heroine this book is very much a 'curate's egg'. The characters are a bit flat as is the dialogue with the glorious exception of Ellie ~ I am sure Boyd is a wonderful grandmother since the child characters are the most vivid. Jeanie is so privileged that it is hard to be too sympathetic ~leaving her husband won't hit her too hard with a nice flat and business of her own. Not sure plausible to have abusive childhoods as the justification for three of the characters flaws ~ all a bit simplistic when not satisfactorily dealt with. Really this is a promising first draft that needs a bit of reworking and a lot af polishing. If you want to read something with really vivid and well drawn older characters try Deborah Moggach and These foolish things (Marigold Hotel film was based on it).

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn!, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Kindle Edition)
Sorry, reading this book was a drag. Kept skimming paragraphs looking for the excitement/twist to come - it didn't. Story line was probably based on a true story, hense the dull moments. Not what I was looking for in a quick light-hearted read. Thanks for letting us read it for 20p, and not full price. Glad there are others who liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Thursdays in the Park (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book, I could'nt put it down. Hilary Boyd is a fantastic writer I will be looking out for other books by her, it is a love story but not a mushy one like some, and leaves you wanting Jeannie the main character to be happy, I paid 20p for this download, and having read it would have been happy to pay more.

Thursdays in the Park