5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book
This book was a joy to read. It had sad and funny parts all mixed together, but the story line was so good you wanted to get to the end, if only to see what happens to GIlly, the dogs and the rest of the characters.

Well worth the time and money. Will be buying more of this author in the future.
Published on 3 Sep 2011 by DizzyChick

3.0 out of 5 stars OK story line but badly edited
Published on 18 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book, 3 Sep 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Holiday Read, 9 Aug 2011
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Paperback)
I've just returned from my summer holiday and this was a book that I picked up specifically to enjoy whilst away, It hit exactly the right spot, I found it thoroughly engaging, light enough to be able to dip in and out of (if I hadn't had my children with me I would have read it in one fell swoop) but together with this there is real depth to the story, great characterization and I found it more meaningful than many books of this 'type'. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful read, 20 Jan 2012
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Paperback)
My first thoughts after finishing this book is I cannot believe it has taken me this long to finally read this beautiful book. From the moment we meet our main character Gilly (with a G!) I instantly warmed to her. Her character is very down to earth and like most people she has been through her fair share of heartache, her character comes across as very vulnerable but yet she seems to have a lovely sense of humour. I also loved the character of Guy who felt a little eccentric but yet a pure gentleman.

I am not a big fan of books which have lots of characters in as I find myself starting to lose track of who is who, but this was not the case in this book there were a lot of characters but each of the characters are developed well enough to be able to differentiate between each character. For me the beauty of this book is the fact that Peterson has managed to wind a story of Gilly's background into her current story which allows us the chance to get to know a little more about Gilly's past.

The storyline has everything you would need in a great read, humour, romance, loveable characters, suspense and the good old tear jerker scenario.

The pace of this book and also the realistic storyline made this book a real page turner and I for one will be looking forward to her new book which is due for release this year.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK story line but badly edited, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Kindle Edition)
I bought this for Kindle mainly because it had positive reviews and was 20p. Actually for 20p, it was worth it. But although the story line was fairly good, if a bit "modern romantic single in London" fodder, it was intrusively badly edited. I felt like getting my red pen out. Jokes were repeated, whole chunks of text copied and pasted as a summary, even though the action had just happened. With a good ruthless edit this might make a decent summer read

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!!, 10 July 2012
Carol 'avid little bookworm' (LEEDS, Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Kindle Edition)
Oh I loved this book so much I went straight on to download Ten Years On another novel by Alice Peterson. Despite the predictability of some of the story I was hooked, testimony to how well-crafted this novel was and the credible characters, of which there were many well woven throughout this book. Miss Peterson has done her research well!

As a dog walker myself I really enjoyed this side of the novel. I walk a couple of times a day, not at the same time every day but I can more or less guarantee who I will see depending on the time of day; and yes there are little cliques!

Having been brought up by my father, along with my two siblings, after our mother left home I know the effects this can have on children and think the issue of abandonment was dealt with well. Particularly the way Gill and her twin brother Nick each dealt with this in their own ways, whilst still determined to stick together and the loyalty they felt to their father.

The story is told in the first person, 34 year old Gilly who has been dumped by her fiancée just before they were to be married. Recovering, she goes on an emotional roller coaster journey and decides to rent out her spare room to a `Monday to Friday' professional to help with her financial burdens.

Numerous threads are woven through this wonderful story. Her relationship with her twin brother Nick and her father following the loss of her mother who leaves her family after a breakdown.

Nicks precarious relationship with his wife, Nancy and how this affects Gilly and her feelings towards Nancy.

Jack the sexy Monday to Friday guy; way too suspicious from the start.

Mix into this the sub plot with Gilly looking back into her childhood whilst growing up with Megan her little sister, who was so special, was just beautiful. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little book, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed reading this book so much. I read it in about 4 hours over two days.

A real page turner, an easy read and characters who you will fall in love with. I love the dog walking club and I found myself fantasizing being part of that group, meeting them at 8.30am every morning for a gossip! I imagined Gilly's house, and how cosy her spare room sounded!

As other reviewers have mentioned the storyline was a bit predictable but a lot of chic lit's are! The sub plot about the sister Megan was beautifully written. Another reviewer said that that plot should have been explored deeper but I disagree. It was just enough!

I bought this book on a whim as it was only 20p and liked the sound of the blurb. I had never heard of Alice Peterson before then. I have seen she has written another book and I am definitely going to give it a whirl.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have felt that pebble, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Kindle Edition)
With an intriguing title and inexpensive to download, 'Monday to Friday Man' could have been simply an easy read, quickly forgotten, but I really enjoyed it. Well written, it is often funny and sometimes heartbreakingly sad.

Jilted just two weeks before her wedding, Gilly feels life is passing her by and contemplates running away to live in the country. Wisdom from an unexpected source makes her rethink her plans. Loved by her fractured family and supported by her dog-walking friends and neighbours, Gilly rebuilds her life, two steps forward, one step back. Can she ever follow her dreams and find true happiness?

A great story that has me wondering how Gilly is getting on even now, days after I finished reading about her.

My favourite quotation from this book is:

"Her memory is like a pebble in my shoe. There are some days when I know it's there but I can live with it. Other times it's so sharp that it digs and cuts into my skin, my foot bleeds and I can't walk on. I have to stop because I'm crying unexpectedly."

I know that I have felt that pebble!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Read!, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Paperback)
An enjoyable read! I know some reviewers have said it's predictable - what chick-lit novel isn't? If you want to read something deep and meaningful, try non-fiction. Personally, I love escapism, and to know that a book will (hopefully!) end well. I really enjoyed the dog walking club too, being a dog lover myself. I have a special admiration for Alice's books, as she always includes some not-so-light subject matter, such as illness or disability. Like Alice, I also suffer with rheumatoid arthritis, and am glad she's not afraid to tackle these subjects. Keep up the good work!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice plot, shame about the menfolk, 1 Aug 2014
Ms. A. Brooke "Anne Brooke" (Godalming, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Kindle Edition)
This is a pretty decent example of comic romance though it does take a while to warm up. The female characters are far stronger than the male ones who aren't terribly interesting, sadly. Personally I would have preferred less airtime for Jack and Guy, and a greater focus on Gilly's friends and her marvellous boss - I think that would have made for a far more gripping read.

That said, aspects I very much enjoyed and which were very well written were Gilly's relationship with her twin brother and his irritating wife, and also her relationship with her life-limited sister. Really, the sister story is a tour de force of writing, and it made me cry on several occasions - and I don't even like families or children, so you can see just how powerful it was!

One plot line I found irritating or nonsensical, however, was the "deep, dark secret weekend life" Jack keeps from everyone, and which - in the Big Reveal - is supposed to make us like him even less. Um, I'm sorry? The kind of secrets he's keeping are actually rather sweet and he should definitely be congratulated for his compassion and sense of duty. I have no idea why Gilly and Guy think Jack is so dreadful for what he's done here. He most certainly is not - and I began to lose a great deal of interest in Gilly and Guy, and certainly in their opinions, at that point.

I also groaned very deeply indeed when Gilly's confusion about her lack of career is miraculously solved by her instantly becoming a best-selling writer - honestly, this was a cliche when it first arrived as a plot solver in the 1980s, and I wish writers would stop it! It's dull, unrealistic and a serious cop-out of the storyline. Harrumph already! So, writers: please get over yourselves and stop writing about writing. For the sake of all our sanities. You've got an imagination - venture outside your own heads once in a while and stop being so darn lazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my usual genre but may be a new one., 27 Sep 2014
This review is from: Monday to Friday Man (Kindle Edition)
I saw this book came highly recommended in a magazine and decided to download it as a trial for holiday. I took my time reading it and can admit it drew me into the story more and more. With an everyday, matter of fact feel of Gilly's life the book is predictable in it's outcome but still gives a heart warming feel to all the character outcomes. I will be looking for other books by the author now she's been tried and tested. Lovely, just how one should feel when you turn the last page.

Monday to Friday Man