on 8 December 2011
A great new family game from the designer of Dominion, a massively popular deckbuilding card game with numerous expansions.
Kingdom Builder is very simple to understand, plays fast, and has numerous different game boards so the setup changes each time. The winning conditions are in part selected from cards drawn randomly, so again replayability is extremely high.

Worth having.
on 2 January 2014
My wife and I bought this game a while ago. Soon after getting it we played it together and didn't like it. But, over Christmas we played it with 4 players and it's much better. If you're looking for a 2 player game, this probably isn't for you. Try Carcassone or Dominion instead. If you're looking for a game for 3-4 players then it's well worth the money!
on 17 December 2013
this game I have seen pick up a lot of slack but I must say every time I play this game I like it more. each game feels very different and the production quality is great. if you like games like alhumbra or settlers of catan or takenoko I think you would like this. its a simple game but there's a lot of strategy involved.
on 31 July 2014
Excellent game. Reviews that state the game is simple without depth really don't understand the game. Like all great games Kingdom Builder is easy to learn and the mechanics are simple. There is, however, great depth to the game. You don't realise the depth until you play a few games and start to realise the way everything works together. Well worth buying.
on 1 July 2015
Simple to learn but always changing because of the modular board and challenging. Games can take as little as twenty minutes. The layout of the boards keeps it fresh. They even thought to supply cards in a variety of languages. No wonder this won awards.
on 15 July 2013
I find this a bit of a marmite game. you will either love it or never want to play it again. I love it, and marmite by the way. As with carsasonne and settlers, the system is simple to pick up yet the tactics are many and this game will take a while to master. There is a clever system of map placement and victory point requirements which means you are never likely to play the same game twice.
on 28 October 2013
it's an easy game to pick up but plenty of scope for developing skills. keps players intersted throughout as difficult to predict winner
on 22 March 2016
Kingdom Builder is a very interesting game. Based (very) roughly on the traditional Chinese GO, which has been all over the news recently with AlphaGO's huge successes, it has a lot of replayability.

The core rules are simple. Draw a card, play three buildings on that colour of tile, connected to your existing buildings if possible. Add in some special abilities of certain tiles, and you have all the gameplay you need. However given the victory conditions randomness, the gameplay is very different every time. Certain strategies are completely useless with certain rule combos. (You draw three victory cards and they decide what scores you points.) Sometimes you want one huge sprawling connected network. Overtimes you want as many small regions as possible.

I've enjoyed it very much so far, well done Vacarrino. Would recommend.
on 10 January 2016
An excellent strategy game, played it once with a friend and had to buy it as soon as I got home!

It takes about 40-60 minutes to complete and gets better/more challenging the more players you have. You build your board at random by choosing 4 panels and placing them together and have different scoring systems each game depending on which cards you choose so each game is different.

The game is a lot of fun and would defiantly recommended it
on 14 February 2013
After playing the base game with the Nomads expansion over holidays with my brother, I enjoyed it enough to come home and get the base game myself. I've played a few games now with my wife and while we are having fun with it, it is not one of the better group games we have when playing with 2 players. Dominion, Carcassonne, Small World, and 7 Wonders are more enjoyable with 2 players in my opinion. The reason is simple enough: not enough player interaction. There is enough space and access to the special locations that we don't really have to fight over territory or block each other off like what happens when played with 3 or 4 players.

I feel like there should be some suggested 2 player variant of the rules by the developer, but there aren't. There are suggestions on the web to use 2 or 3 tile boards which we will try next as that seems like a very viable suggestion. Overall I'm still very happy with the game. I just want to warn anyone out there buying it for primarily 2 player games that you may want to tweak some of the rules to make things a little more competitive.