on 14 June 2012
I usually use the following barometer to see if an item of clothing is good or bad: "do I think about it when I'm out running?". I don't with this jacket - it's really good. Light, breathable, wind proof. I would call it splash or drizzle proof but not rain proof. It is excellent for running - I've never been to hot or too cold while wearing it so far and it's weight it great, very, very low.
on 24 November 2013
Its light; its airy; its vented; it has a good cut to it and doesnt look like a neon binbag; the stitchings good; the zip has a fabric cover on yhe top to avoid rubbing; the material feels nice; its soft and not crinkly; it has zip up pockets with zips chunky enough to use with gloves. Absolutely perfect item and actually better than my nike which was more than twice the price ... One wee niggle i suppose - more robust material needed as a pocket liner if only just on one pocket i dont trust them for anything of value in but thats it , its a cracking garment
on 21 March 2012
Excellent jacket. Blocks most of the wind, wicks sweat well and is very practical. Should be ordered one size larger than t-shirts from the same vendor.
on 4 January 2012
With the cold winter weather, I needed to invest in a running jacket to keep the chill off. I also needed one which was breatheable and lightweight. I don't like heavy running jackets, yet this jacket has negligible weight. Another important feature is the reflective material located back and front - so important for running at night. Overall, great jacket, great price.
on 17 May 2015
I go out on long hard hikes, usually on Cornish coast path, hitch-hiking out from Exeter to get to my various starting points, and back in the evening from my finishing points (search online for Philip Goddard favourite great hikes), and for a few years had been using a Ronhill high-visibility jacket. That had done its job quite well, but it had two main issues - no pocket in a position that I could readily access, and a very flimsy front zip that always snagged on the external flaps of the material on both sides. Unsurprisingly, that zip finally broke, in the middle of a difficult hitch-hike in perishing cold conditions a little earlier this year, and I wasn't very pleased about that!

So, does this jacket equal or better the old Ronhill one? - Yes, it actually significantly betters it for my own purposes, BUT other potential purchasers need to bear in mind a functional difference, which would make it useless for some people.

First, the front zip. Yippee, this has a much more robust zip, and there are no silly front flaps for it to snag on! Instead, it has a larger ('storm') flap behind the zip, but because it is larger it would not nearly so readily get caught by the zip. So, a longer lifespan can be expected in that respect, as well as much less fiddling around when out in the sticks, fighting with the zip to get it to work properly!

As for pockets, this has a few that are accessible, though I do have to say that their positions are still not intuitive and so I'm not all that inclined to use them.

Now for the material. The colour's great, just the same as the old Ronhill, but whereas the Ronhill was reasonably windproof (albeit with under-arm ventilation mesh), this jacket's emphasis is altogether on ventilation and keeping cool. In other words, it is not windproof - at least, in any serious sense. That is NOT a criticism at all, but simply a matter of one's requirements. In my case, the windproofness of the Ronhill was useful, BUT in warmer weather it was unworkable for me to use it except when it was dusk or dark, whereas really it would have been better for me to use it for ALL hitch-hikes, to attract motorists' attention and make them more likely to stop for me. In fact the lack of windproofness doesn't really matter for me in colder / more windy conditions, because I have a few extremely thin, light and efficient Montane windproof jackets, and so when I do need windproofing I simply put on at least one of those first, and the high-visibility jacket on top.

I do have to say, though, that it isn't quite as simple as that, because without wind, for standing around, this jacket is actually a little warmer than the Ronhill, because the material is a bit more insulating. Nonetheless, the signs so far are that I can use this jacket for my hitch-hikes in a much wider range of temperature / wind conditions than with the Ronhill, provided I have the additional windproofing available in case of need.

I don't go running myself, but I'd have thought that in most weather conditions this jacket would be preferable to the vast majority of other high-visibility running or cycling jackets that I've seen listed here on Amazon, because they claim to be showerproof, which would mean pretty minimal with regard to ventilation. Would you prefer your run to become a sweat bath or to be a more refreshing affair? :-)

One silly little down-side for me with this jacket is that I usually find it very confusing to orient for putting it on. It has no lining (just as well!), and the pockets are not anchored to anything except their openings, so they are all flapping around when you're trying to orient the jacket. Then there are the ventilation openings across the upper back, which confuse things more, and also this model doesn't have a hood rolled up in the collar as the Ronhill jacket had, and there's nothing to draw one's attention to it. This leaves it very confusing to find the top of the jacket so that I can put it on. On my hitch-hikes I'm often wanting to put things on very quickly, for every lost second can mean a missed potential lift offer, so this is a real practical disadvantage, albeit a small one. A better design would make the inside of the collar a different, indeed darker, colour (a warm grey would work well), and would not detract from its functioning at all.

Overall, then, a great jacket, but not for you if you want one that is showerproof / windproof.
on 7 December 2012
Well worth the money. Keeps out the wind and has lots of useful pockets. If you normally buy these jackets in medium - I'd suggest getting this in large. Size large is just right.
on 9 November 2012
Excellent piece of running equipment. This jacket has extended my running season in the NE of Scotland by some months and is lasting well. I was in a well-known department store and walked past a stand with a similarly well-known equivalent for double the price - I had a look and it was remarkably similar to this product.

In summary, great jacket, unreservedly recommended.
on 17 May 2012
1 was very pleased with this product looks good feels good much better than i was expecting i would agree with fellow reviewer order 1 size above your normal size
on 17 February 2012
Good Jacket - Very lightweight and keeps out the wind. Excellent value for money compared to the Big name brands.
on 29 November 2012
I bought one of these in size 40-42 to replace another make which was damaged. The jacket itself is great: light, windproof and with a pair of zippable pockets. The main zip appears sturdy and should last.

All in all eminently usable and a great buy.

BUT I am a size 40 across the shoulders with a 32 inch waist and I find the 40-42 size a little too snug: very little space under it for the running pouch I use for my keys.

If I were to buy a replacement, I might buy the next size up.